Ram Problem

Moayed

Ram Problem
Dose any one knows why i can see 4G of Ram in my PC only 3.2 ???they told
me you have to install 64 bit so idid !!! but nothing happens please help im
graphic designer
Bob

Re: Ram Problem
If you are a graphic designer try typing a coherent question.

"Moayed" <Moayed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news159A1B8-FF2D-4B5E-BFE2-D377A85AAD9B@microsoft.com...
> Dose any one knows why i can see 4G of Ram in my PC only 3.2 ???they
> told
> me you have to install 64 bit so idid !!! but nothing happens please help
> im
> graphic designer

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Ram Problem
Or at least a more colorful one.

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> If you are a graphic designer try typing a coherent question.
>
> "Moayed" <Moayed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news159A1B8-FF2D-4B5E-BFE2-D377A85AAD9B@microsoft.com...
>> Dose any one knows why i can see 4G of Ram in my PC only 3.2 ???they
>> told
>> me you have to install 64 bit so idid !!! but nothing happens please help
>> im
>> graphic designer

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Ram Problem
The BIOS on your computer is reserving memory for memory-mapped IO for
devices like your video card. The 3.2GB is the amount available for user
programs. The 4GB limit is a mathematical limitation for all 32bit
operating systems. The limitations for 64bit operating systems is much
higher. See the manual for your motherboard for details on how to adjust
the memory being reserved for memory-mapped IO for 64bit operating systems.

The 64bit versions of Vista vary in the amount of memory they can use. See:

A 64bit edition of Windows is necessary to use more than 4GB of memory and
how much more than 4GB you can use in Vista depends on the edition as
outlined in the knowledgebase article cited above.

"Moayed" <Moayed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news159A1B8-FF2D-4B5E-BFE2-D377A85AAD9B@microsoft.com...
> Dose any one knows why i can see 4G of Ram in my PC only 3.2 ???they
> told
> me you have to install 64 bit so idid !!! but nothing happens please help
> im
> graphic designer

josephwin is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes..what he said.... more or less....
I have half a gig of RAM and it shows 448 MB available because the rest is 'spokin' for with the video graphics. I found this out when running a program like pcpitstop...a system diagnostic program...
it is cool. It shows everything about your 'puter...everything..
and it is free.. cool huh?
Joseph
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Ram Problem
Do you have integrated graphics (integrated on the mobo)? It sounds like it
because 512 minus 448 equals 64. That would be about right for 64mb
integrated graphics. A removable graphics card with 64mb of video ram
should still leave the system with the full 512mb.

"josephwin" <josephwin.37tc4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Yes..what he said.... more or less....
> I have half a gig of RAM and it shows 448 MB available because the rest
> is 'spokin' for with the video graphics. I found this out when running a
> program like pcpitstop...a system diagnostic program...
> it is cool. It shows everything about your 'puter...everything..
> and it is free.. cool huh?
> Joseph
>

> --
> josephwin

josephwin is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Barnhorst View Post
Do you have integrated graphics (integrated on the mobo)? It sounds like it
because 512 minus 448 equals 64. That would be about right for 64mb
integrated graphics. A removable graphics card with 64mb of video ram
should still leave the system with the full 512mb.

"josephwin" <josephwin.37tc4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Yes..what he said.... more or less....
> I have half a gig of RAM and it shows 448 MB available because the rest
> is 'spokin' for with the video graphics. I found this out when running a
> program like pcpitstop...a system diagnostic program...
> it is cool. It shows everything about your 'puter...everything..
> and it is free.. cool huh?
> Joseph
>

> --
> josephwin

Hey Colin,
Yes it is intregated.... All of the parts to this 'puter are original. I need to add/upgrade a couple of items, mostly due to the Vista requirements. I need to learn more about graphic cards.... This will be the second item, after 1 gig RAM chip, that I will install.
This is a HP presario .... desktop.... It does work fine but a little upgrading will do wonders. My Vista Ultimate is using the 'for best performance' mode right now. When I break the 'seal' on this baby, I will look at the whole inside to really understand the 'guts' of a box. I also have an old box that I will play with, some day. Playing meaning upgrading items, like the motherboard and processor. LOL, moderization, is another term I could use to describe the old box. My sisters were the users of this box. It started out as a rental...
But...Colin, how much knowledge do have with graphic cards???? For Vista could I just install a removalable card to meet Vista's needs????
Joseph tell me more..more..more.... (Billy Idol.... lol)
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Ram Problem
On a desktop, yes. Do you know whether you have an AGP slot or PCI/E? You
may have to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS (some computers disable
onboard graphics automatically once they sense a video card in the slot).
The main considerations are Vista drivers for the card and your power
supply. Your power supply needs to be around 400W or higher to support any
of the current cards. If your system will support one, I recommend a
DirectX 10 compatible card like the nVidia 8600.

"josephwin" <josephwin.37tkgg@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Colin Barnhorst;784525 Wrote:
>> Do you have integrated graphics (integrated on the mobo)? It sounds
>> like it
>> because 512 minus 448 equals 64. That would be about right for 64mb
>> integrated graphics. A removable graphics card with 64mb of video ram
>> should still leave the system with the full 512mb.
>>
>> "josephwin" <josephwin.37tc4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >
>> > Yes..what he said.... more or less....
>> > I have half a gig of RAM and it shows 448 MB available because the

>> rest
>> > is 'spokin' for with the video graphics. I found this out when

>> running a
>> > program like pcpitstop...a system diagnostic program...
>> > it is cool. It shows everything about your 'puter...everything..
>> > and it is free.. cool huh?
>> > Joseph
>> >

>> > --
>> > josephwin
>> >

> Hey Colin,
> Yes it is intregated.... All of the parts to this 'puter are original.
> I need to add/upgrade a couple of items, mostly due to the Vista
> requirements. I need to learn more about graphic cards.... This will be
> the second item, after 1 gig RAM chip, that I will install.
> This is a HP presario .... desktop.... It does work fine but a
> little upgrading will do wonders. My Vista Ultimate is using the 'for
> best performance' mode right now. When I break the 'seal' on this baby,
> I will look at the whole inside to really understand the 'guts' of a
> box. I also have an old box that I will play with, some day. Playing
> meaning upgrading items, like the motherboard and processor. LOL,
> moderization, is another term I could use to describe the old box. My
> sisters were the users of this box. It started out as a rental...
> But...Colin, how much knowledge do have with graphic cards???? For
> Vista could I just install a removalable card to meet Vista's needs????
> Joseph tell me more..more..more.... (Billy Idol.... lol)
>

> --
> josephwin

josephwin is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colin,
Here is a revised summary from a scan using belarc advisor.
Operating System

System Model
Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 6001)

Compaq Presario 061 PJ518AA-ABA SR1230NX NA440 0nB1411CO101KELUT00
System Serial Number: CNH4410567
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a

Main Circuit Board b
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Kelut 2.02
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.15 06/06/2005

Drives

Memory Modules c,d
160.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
109.84 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS CD-S480/AH ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
SAMSUNG SP1604N [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S013J10X960666, rev TM100-24,
SMART Status: Healthy

448 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

h: (NTFS on drive 0)
115.58 GB
67.51 GB free
j: (NTFS on drive 0)
44.46 GB
42.32 GB free

Network Drives

None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details)

Printers
local system accounts
Administrator
1/20/2008 7:45:56 PM
(admin)

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account

Controllers

Display
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
VIA Serial ATA Controller - 3149

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n HCJXA44433, October 2004)

Bus Adapters

Multimedia
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
Communications

Other Devices
Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
6TO4 Adapter
isatap.hsd1.co.comcast.net.
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Some of this info is not necessary...
joseph

VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HP Officejet 5600
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
HP Officejet 5600 Series (DOT4USB)