Trouble w/ DVD & CD drives

PorPorMe

Trouble w/ DVD & CD drives
Ever since I installed Vista I've had CD problems. I have reinstalled a couple of times with the same problem.I have a Sony DVD-RW & a Sony CD-RW.The Cd is a slave to the DVD. The Cd has become worthless, it won't read or write.It is recognized but it can't recognize a disk.I've tried swapping different burners and Cd-Roms and it stays the same. I've un-installed the drivers and rebooted to reinstall-no joy.The DVD-RW works to a degree. It will read & write DVD's but gets problematic with data disks. (I have a lot of zip files on cd) It will start to read and copy to HDD but will quickly degrade in copy speed to a point that it no longer reads the disk.Any ideas?

BigJim

Re: Trouble w/ DVD & CD drives
this is just a guess, I am starting to believe that the problem with the
cd/dvd drives is
being caused by the chipset drivers for the board, like I said just a guess.
I am running
two computers with gigabyte boards with Intel 945 chipsets. I noticed when
setting up
vista that these boards have specific chipset drivers for vista. Since
installing the drivers
I have not had a single problem with my dvd drives. It could be just a
coincidence.

"PorPorMe" wrote in message news:OhGj4BKnIHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Ever since I installed Vista I've had CD problems. I have reinstalled a
> couple of times with the same problem.I have a Sony DVD-RW & a Sony
> CD-RW.The Cd is a slave to the DVD. The Cd has become worthless, it won't
> read or write.It is recognized but it can't recognize a disk.I've tried
> swapping different burners and Cd-Roms and it stays the same. I've
> un-installed the drivers and rebooted to reinstall-no joy.The DVD-RW works
> to a degree. It will read & write DVD's but gets problematic with data
> disks. (I have a lot of zip files on cd) It will start to read and copy to
> HDD but will quickly degrade in copy speed to a point that it no longer
> reads the disk.Any ideas?
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

PorPorMe

RE: Trouble w/ DVD & CD drives
Thought of that one after I posted and installed newest drivers for my Via chipset.Was realy hopfull about that but no joy. I can't think of any more drivers i need. I'll keep pokeing around-I'll get it sometime!!!

PorPorMe

RE: Trouble w/ DVD & CD drives
For those interested, after a clean install of Vista Ultimate-no change. Installed Xp-Both drives are working just fine. Riddle me this one Vista freaks!:w00t:

Anil

Re: Trouble w/ DVD & CD drives
Same thing happened with me on ACER tarvelmate notebook with Phillips 8821
DVD RW. Finally found out that the drive itself required firmware update to
be compatible. ( funnily enough not listed on their support page) but the
update was included in vista upgade kit

Anil