Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Back up to a remote storage device

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
Frank
 

Posts: n/a
Back up to a remote storage device
I configured windows to control the computer backup, sending the data to an
external hard drive. The system displays the hardrive name & location, so I
know it connected. However, the back up never succeeds. What can I do?
--
Best regards,

Frank
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up to a remote storage device
Is the format of the external hard drive FAT32 ?
-------
*Report back, please*


"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:522B5757-D86E-444B-8C91-9BCC765B886B@microsoft.com...
>I configured windows to control the computer backup, sending the data to an
> external hard drive. The system displays the hardrive name & location, so
> I
> know it connected. However, the back up never succeeds. What can I do?
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Frank


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
Frank
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up to a remote storage device
Thanks Bob. Yes it is. I tried to change the format using the command
prompt, but it did not work. I tried re-installing it this morning & found
that I another fundamental problem that may prevent the use of the external
hard drive. After launching the installation program for the hard drive,
nothing happened. Eventually I got an error message; "An error occurred
while launching the setup. The Remote procedure call failed". I have seen
this error several time while trying to install software recently. My virus
scan is up to date & full scans have revealed nothing amiss. Now what?
--
Best regards,

Frank


"Bob" wrote:

> Is the format of the external hard drive FAT32 ?
> -------
> *Report back, please*
>
>
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:522B5757-D86E-444B-8C91-9BCC765B886B@microsoft.com...
> >I configured windows to control the computer backup, sending the data to an
> > external hard drive. The system displays the hardrive name & location, so
> > I
> > know it connected. However, the back up never succeeds. What can I do?
> > --
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Frank

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up to a remote storage device
The FAT32 file system has a 4 GB limit for the size of file that it can
accept to be saved onto it. This means that any attempt to save a file that
is larger than 4 GB will be met with an error message of “Disk is full or
Not enough space” even though the hard drive may have a large amount of
space still available.

Google "convert fat32 ntfs".
-------
*Report back, please*


"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6F61337A-8850-4CF9-888C-CAE5F4C98916@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Bob. Yes it is. I tried to change the format using the command
> prompt, but it did not work. I tried re-installing it this morning &
> found
> that I another fundamental problem that may prevent the use of the
> external
> hard drive. After launching the installation program for the hard drive,
> nothing happened. Eventually I got an error message; "An error occurred
> while launching the setup. The Remote procedure call failed". I have
> seen
> this error several time while trying to install software recently. My
> virus
> scan is up to date & full scans have revealed nothing amiss. Now what?
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Frank
>
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Is the format of the external hard drive FAT32 ?
>> -------
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>>
>> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:522B5757-D86E-444B-8C91-9BCC765B886B@microsoft.com...
>> >I configured windows to control the computer backup, sending the data to
>> >an
>> > external hard drive. The system displays the hardrive name & location,
>> > so
>> > I
>> > know it connected. However, the back up never succeeds. What can I
>> > do?
>> > --
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Frank

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mass Storage Device LifeCruncher microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.materiel 2 03-23-2008 11:12
Mass storage device JSMartin Software Problems 3 11-30-2007 15:36
USB storage device javeline microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 09-22-2007 00:24
Vista & External Storage Device & NAS device Issues Theo M microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 06-04-2007 01:51
Back up a storage drive in Vista? KevinL microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 3 05-12-2007 05:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120