USB Mouse & KYBD non-functional after recent update

saseve

USB Mouse & KYBD non-functional after recent update
I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working. When I
try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot interact wthout
a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier times -
twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I boot
from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I called
Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.
Claus Scheiblauer

RE: USB Mouse & KYBD non-functional after recent update
If you have a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard you could try to use them, it worked
for me. I read other posts, where this didn't help as well... so maybe...

Claus

"saseve" wrote:

> I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
> suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working. When I
> try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot interact wthout
> a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier times -
> twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I boot
> from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I called
> Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.

Scott J. Stringfellow

"Claus Scheiblauer" wrote:

> If you have a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard you could try to use them, it worked
> for me. I read other posts, where this didn't help as well... so maybe...
>

> Claus
>
> "saseve" wrote:
>
> > I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
> > suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working. When I
> > try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot interact wthout
> > a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier times -
> > twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I boot
> > from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I called
> > Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions would be
> > greatly appreciated.

saseve

RE: USB Mouse & KYBD non-functional after recent update
Claus,
Thanks fo rthe suggestion. Unfortunately, my Dell does not have a PS/2
connector!

end/saseve

"Claus Scheiblauer" wrote:

> If you have a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard you could try to use them, it worked
> for me. I read other posts, where this didn't help as well... so maybe...
>

> Claus
>
> "saseve" wrote:
>
> > I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
> > suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working. When I
> > try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot interact wthout
> > a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier times -
> > twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I boot
> > from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I called
> > Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions would be
> > greatly appreciated.

Scott J. Stringfellow

RE: USB Mouse & KYBD non-functional after recent update
Sorry to report, but I had same problem - no mouse/kybd worked, USB or PS2.
Only recovery for me was to remove hd, put it in another Dell, copy data
off, and then rebuild my computer. NOT real happy, to say the least.

Hope you find a better solution.

Scott

"saseve" wrote:

> Claus,
> Thanks fo rthe suggestion. Unfortunately, my Dell does not have a PS/2
> connector!
>
> end/saseve
>
> "Claus Scheiblauer" wrote:
>
> > If you have a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard you could try to use them, it worked
> > for me. I read other posts, where this didn't help as well... so maybe...
> >

> > Claus
> >
> > "saseve" wrote:
> >
> > > I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
> > > suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working. When I
> > > try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot interact wthout
> > > a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier times -
> > > twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I boot
> > > from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I called
> > > Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions would be
> > > greatly appreciated.

t-4-2

saseve;680710 Wrote:
> I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
> suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working.
> When I
> try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot interact
> wthout
> a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier
> times -
> twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I
> boot
> from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I
> called
> Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions
> would be
> greatly appreciated.

Hello, you didn't mention what Dell people said. Based on that, try
checking the status of your touchpad and mouse by the following :
Control Panel -Classic view -Mouse - at the top, choose Hardware. One at
a time, highlight " Dell touchpad "and " Hid-compliant mouse "and see
what the Device Properties said below. Did it say "working properly" ?
If not, go back to Mouse properties window and check the touchpad
settings and pointer options, make sure appropriate boxes are checked.
That's all I know.

--
t-4-2
rowdy123

RE: USB Mouse & KYBD non-functional after recent update
i have been having the same problem with my mouse (dell) after vista upgrade.
i contacted dell and their great solution was to rebuild my system which i
refused to do. after restarting my system and pressing the F8 key i was
able to get into a safe mode which allowed me to go into safe mode and i as
able to restore to the previous configuration. this fixed the problem at
the time, but the next morning it reloaded the upgrade again and i had to do
the same procedure all over again. i contacted dell again and was told that
so far i was the only user with this problem and that i needed to notify
microsoft so that they could fix the problem in the next upgrade. i did
notify microsoft and they referred me to this discussion group and were not
aware of this problem. i am pullling my hair out trying to figure this out.

"saseve" wrote:

> I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
> suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working. When I
> try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot interact wthout
> a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier times -
> twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I boot
> from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I called
> Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.

t-4-2

rowdy123;681271 Wrote:
> i have been having the same problem with my mouse (dell) after vista
> upgrade.
> i contacted dell and their great solution was to rebuild my system
> which i
> refused to do. after restarting my system and pressing the F8 key i was
> able to get into a safe mode which allowed me to go into safe mode and
> i as
> able to restore to the previous configuration. this fixed the problem
> at
> the time, but the next morning it reloaded the upgrade again and i had
> to do
> the same procedure all over again. i contacted dell again and was told
> that
> so far i was the only user with this problem and that i needed to
> notify
> microsoft so that they could fix the problem in the next upgrade. i did
> notify microsoft and they referred me to this discussion group and were
> not
> aware of this problem. i am pullling my hair out trying to figure this
> out.
>
> "saseve" wrote:
> > > >
> > > I have read other posts on this subject, but cannot try to apply the
> > > suggested solutions. I have neither a mouse nor a keyboard working.

> > When I
> > > try to get into Safe Mode, the desktop comes up, but I cannot

> > interact wthout
> > > a mouse/keyboard. I booted to the Vista DVD, and restored to earlier

> > times -
> > > twice - and the problem persists. The mouse and keyboard work when I

> > boot
> > > from the Vista DVD. I am using a Dell E521 with Vista Home Basic. I

> > called
> > > Dell support, but nothing they tried worked either. Any suggestions

> > would be
> > > greatly appreciated. > >

Hello, Rowdy. You might have a different issue than Saseve, since you
mentioned only your mouse. Is it a wireless ? There is an optional
update meant for wireless mouse/keyboard ( Other hardware hid non-user
input data filter"). Meanwhile, do your restore in Safe Mode again,
BUT, this time when your are back on normal mode, go to Control Panel,
under Security, pick Check For Updates, on the left side panel, pick
Change Settings, check the box that says "check for updates but let me
choose whether to download and install them". That way you have the
chance to avoid the update which you think is the culprit. I also heard
that there is a way to "hide" the update you don't want, but I don't
know how to do that.

--
t-4-2
rowdy123

Re: USB Mouse & KYBD non-functional after recent update
thanks and i already have my setting set for this option. my problem now is
that when my norton tries to update, i get error messages, that figures.
can yu believe that dell support told me to wait 2 weeks until microsoft
fixes the problem and then try to load the upgrade again. my mouse is a
dell 2 button usb connection (non-wireless). i have tried all 4 usb ports
and it still didn't fix the problem.
--
rowdy123

"t-4-2" wrote:

> rowdy123;681271 Wrote:
> > i have been having the same problem with my mouse (dell) after vista
> > upgrade.
> > i contacted dell and their great solution was to rebuild my system
> > which i
> > refused to do. after restarting my system and pressing the F8 key i was
> > able to get into a safe mode which allowed me to go into safe mode and
> > i as
> > able to restore to the previous configuration. this fixed the problem
> > at
> > the time, but the next morning it reloaded the upgrade again and i had
> > to do
> > the same procedure all over again. i contacted dell again and was told
> > that
> > so far i was the only user with this problem and that i needed to
> > notify
> > microsoft so that they could fix the problem in the next upgrade. i did
> > notify microsoft and they referred me to this discussion group and were
> > not
> > aware of this problem. i am pullling my hair out trying to figure this
> > out.

> > > When I
> > > interact wthout
> > > times -
> > > boot
> > > called
> > > would be

> Hello, Rowdy. You might have a different issue than Saseve, since you
> mentioned only your mouse. Is it a wireless ? There is an optional
> update meant for wireless mouse/keyboard ( Other hardware hid non-user
> input data filter"). Meanwhile, do your restore in Safe Mode again,
> BUT, this time when your are back on normal mode, go to Control Panel,
> under Security, pick Check For Updates, on the left side panel, pick
> Change Settings, check the box that says "check for updates but let me
> choose whether to download and install them". That way you have the
> chance to avoid the update which you think is the culprit. I also heard
> that there is a way to "hide" the update you don't want, but I don't
> know how to do that.
>

> --
> t-4-2

t-4-2

rowdy123;681344 Wrote:
> thanks and i already have my setting set for this option. my problem now
> is
> that when my norton tries to update, i get error messages, that
> figures.
> can yu believe that dell support told me to wait 2 weeks until
> microsoft
> fixes the problem and then try to load the upgrade again. my mouse is a
> dell 2 button usb connection (non-wireless). i have tried all 4 usb
> ports
> and it still didn't fix the problem.
> --
> rowdy123
>

> "t-4-2" wrote:
> > > >

> > > rowdy123;681271 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello, Rowdy. You might have a different issue than Saseve, since you
> > > mentioned only your mouse. Is it a wireless ? There is an optional
> > > update meant for wireless mouse/keyboard ( Other hardware hid

> > non-user
> > > input data filter"). Meanwhile, do your restore in Safe Mode again,
> > > BUT, this time when your are back on normal mode, go to Control

> > Panel,
> > > under Security, pick Check For Updates, on the left side panel, pick
> > > Change Settings, check the box that says "check for updates but let

> > me
> > > choose whether to download and install them". That way you have the
> > > chance to avoid the update which you think is the culprit. I also

> > heard
> > > that there is a way to "hide" the update you don't want, but I don't
> > > know how to do that.
> > >

> > > --
> > > t-4-2

Hello, Rowdy. I'm sorry that I do not have answer for Norton's issue. I
hear that Norton is a pain in the you -know -where. Norton camp will
scream at me, but you might consider UN-install Norton ( I say,
un-install, not disable),and try something like AVG or AVAST from the
web sites. I hear they are free. I have McAfee.
PS. Remember, You said it's the update. You might be barking at the
wrong tree. May be someone with more superior knowledge will give you a
better solution.

--
t-4-2