dvd drive is lost!

GeorgeGreece

dvd drive is lost!
I'm running vista ultimate 32 bit. last dayas i a dealing with a very strange
issue... i turn on pc, everything works fine. Suddenly my dvd drive(nec)is
lost from my computer icon and also, i cannot see it in device
manager!!!making a restart is not solving the problem. The only way to see
again the drive is to turn pc off, change sata port on drive and when i turn
on again the pc it starts to install it again. Foe some hour dvd drive works
and is recognized perfectly. but suddenly(without nothing to do!!!)just
waiting and looking the pc, dvd drive is lost again and tha hard disk led
stays continiously on! any other functions works fine...

Any suggestions?
.Joe

Re: dvd drive is lost!

GeorgeGreece;680000 Wrote:
> I'm running vista ultimate 32 bit. last dayas i a dealing with a very
> strange
> issue... i turn on pc, everything works fine. Suddenly my dvd
> drive(nec)is
> lost from my computer icon and also, i cannot see it in device
> manager!!!making a restart is not solving the problem. The only way to
> see
> again the drive is to turn pc off, change sata port on drive and when i
> turn
> on again the pc it starts to install it again. Foe some hour dvd drive
> works
> and is recognized perfectly. but suddenly(without nothing to do!!!)just
> waiting and looking the pc, dvd drive is lost again and tha hard disk
> led
> stays continiously on! any other functions works fine...
>
> Any suggestions?

There's one solution from Microsoft. It says it's for XP, but works for
Vista. Here's the link: 'You can no longer access the CD drive or the
DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD
recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: \"error code
31\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)

I hope this helps.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com\")_
_*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
_**_
GeorgeGreece

Re: dvd drive is lost!
Helpuf or not, thank u my friend for the answer and the link. As soon as I
try it, I'll let everybody know here. Thnks again.

".Joe" wrote:

> GeorgeGreece;680000 Wrote:
> > I'm running vista ultimate 32 bit. last dayas i a dealing with a very
> > strange
> > issue... i turn on pc, everything works fine. Suddenly my dvd
> > drive(nec)is
> > lost from my computer icon and also, i cannot see it in device
> > manager!!!making a restart is not solving the problem. The only way to
> > see
> > again the drive is to turn pc off, change sata port on drive and when i
> > turn
> > on again the pc it starts to install it again. Foe some hour dvd drive
> > works
> > and is recognized perfectly. but suddenly(without nothing to do!!!)just
> > waiting and looking the pc, dvd drive is lost again and tha hard disk
> > led
> > stays continiously on! any other functions works fine...
> >
> > Any suggestions?

> There's one solution from Microsoft. It says it's for XP, but works for
> Vista. Here's the link: 'You can no longer access the CD drive or the
> DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD
> recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: \"error code
> 31\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)
>
> I hope this helps.
>

> --
> .Joe
>
> _[image:
> http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com\")_
> _*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
> _Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
> _CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
> _**_

GeorgeGreece

Re: dvd drive is lost!
The strange thing are continued here...
This afternoon turning o ff my pc and turning back it on after 3 hours,dvd
drive showed up and worked fine! I have turned off my pc nad been away for a
couple of hours. turning on the pc again...the drive is lost again...

The above article says about deleting some keys-values from the registry.
These values are not exist in my registry!Don't know what to say...The
strange thing is that when my dvd drive is gone, is gone also from the device
manager!Not even with the yellow mark that says driver problem etc.

any other help...?

"GeorgeGreece" wrote:

> Helpuf or not, thank u my friend for the answer and the link. As soon as I
> try it, I'll let everybody know here. Thnks again.
>
> ".Joe" wrote:
>

> > GeorgeGreece;680000 Wrote:
> > > I'm running vista ultimate 32 bit. last dayas i a dealing with a very
> > > strange
> > > issue... i turn on pc, everything works fine. Suddenly my dvd
> > > drive(nec)is
> > > lost from my computer icon and also, i cannot see it in device
> > > manager!!!making a restart is not solving the problem. The only way to
> > > see
> > > again the drive is to turn pc off, change sata port on drive and when i
> > > turn
> > > on again the pc it starts to install it again. Foe some hour dvd drive
> > > works
> > > and is recognized perfectly. but suddenly(without nothing to do!!!)just
> > > waiting and looking the pc, dvd drive is lost again and tha hard disk
> > > led
> > > stays continiously on! any other functions works fine...
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?

> > There's one solution from Microsoft. It says it's for XP, but works for
> > Vista. Here's the link: 'You can no longer access the CD drive or the
> > DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD
> > recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: \"error code
> > 31\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)
> >
> > I hope this helps.
> >

> > --
> > .Joe
> >
> > _[image:
> > http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com\")_
> > _*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
> > _Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
> > _CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
> > _**_

BigJim

Re: dvd drive is lost!
try a new sata cable and check the power cable connection
"GeorgeGreece" <GeorgeGreece@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running vista ultimate 32 bit. last dayas i a dealing with a very
> strange
> issue... i turn on pc, everything works fine. Suddenly my dvd drive(nec)is
> lost from my computer icon and also, i cannot see it in device
> manager!!!making a restart is not solving the problem. The only way to see
> again the drive is to turn pc off, change sata port on drive and when i
> turn
> on again the pc it starts to install it again. Foe some hour dvd drive
> works
> and is recognized perfectly. but suddenly(without nothing to do!!!)just
> waiting and looking the pc, dvd drive is lost again and tha hard disk led
> stays continiously on! any other functions works fine...
>
> Any suggestions?

GeorgeGreece

Re: dvd drive is lost!
Wel i'll try thta but i do not think this is the problem as the drive worked
just fine for months...The issue started(well i think so,it might be
this)when trying to install windows update,specifficly KB938371 when an error
occurs...I 'll let everybody kno for the result, meanwhile any other
suggestions are wellcomed...