Epson scanner not working

Cuddly Duddly

Epson scanner not working
I have just installed Vista and my Epson Perfection 1660 scanner won't work.
Epson tells me it is "not supported" and drivers are not available for this
set up. They suggested I try to get them from their Canadian site (I am in
the US). I also tried the UK site, at someone else's suggestion, and that
didn't help either.

Seems to me this might be a bit like Ford Motor Company ceasing supplying
parts for cars over 4 years old when they bring out new models.

Can anyone help me to save a few bucks by getting this thing to work?

Thank you for any help.

Margaret

Re: Epson scanner not working
Cuddly Duddly wrote:
> I have just installed Vista and my Epson Perfection 1660 scanner won't
> work.
> Epson tells me it is "not supported" and drivers are not available for this
> set up. They suggested I try to get them from their Canadian site (I am in
> the US). I also tried the UK site, at someone else's suggestion, and that
> didn't help either.
>
> Seems to me this might be a bit like Ford Motor Company ceasing supplying
> parts for cars over 4 years old when they bring out new models.
>
> Can anyone help me to save a few bucks by getting this thing to work?

Probably not. I have a 1650 and will keep using it on XP SP2 until
Vista is stable enough that I can use it as my main machine. Only then
will I shop around and buy a new scanner. One thought, though. Have
you looked into Vuescan by Hamrick Software?

http://hamrick.com/vsm.html

It's not cheap, but it's a great piece of software, says it runs on
Vista, and supports ~700 scanners, most w/o Windows drivers. Yours is
on the list. I use Vuescan with my old SCSI film/slide scanner, and
I've used it with my 1650. Well worth thr $$ IMNSHO.

Regards,

Margaret
Jason Knutson

"Cuddly Duddly" <told339rig290@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed Vista and my Epson Perfection 1660 scanner won't
>work.
> Epson tells me it is "not supported" and drivers are not available for
> this
> set up. They suggested I try to get them from their Canadian site (I am
> in
> the US). I also tried the UK site, at someone else's suggestion, and that
> didn't help either.
>
> Seems to me this might be a bit like Ford Motor Company ceasing supplying
> parts for cars over 4 years old when they bring out new models.
>
> Can anyone help me to save a few bucks by getting this thing to work?
>
> Thank you for any help.

Drivers from the UK site work fine for me in 32-bit home premium:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Get...06A97E857C4D1D

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Epson scanner not working
Try Vuescan, it might just do the trick...

http://www.hamrick.com/

Please let us know if you have success.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Jason Knutson wrote:

> Drivers from the UK site work fine for me in 32-bit home premium:
> http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Get...06A97E857C4D1D

Hey, thx for this. Definitely will come in handy. Why is it that US
sites rarely have up-to-date drivers? I've had to go to overseas sites
for motherboard BIOSes, etc.

Regards,

Margaret
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Epson scanner not working
Because until we told them this morning, Epson US didn't even realize the
problem existed and has done for quite some time! Now that they do, we hope
the websites will be somewhat more uniform in driver availability.
--

"Margaret" <twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:TYydnXI6spnRBWTYnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

> Hey, thx for this. Definitely will come in handy. Why is it that US
> sites rarely have up-to-date drivers? I've had to go to overseas sites
> for motherboard BIOSes, etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret

=?Utf-8?B?d3k2ODVtbQ==?=

RE: Epson scanner not working
tried this?

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Sof...06A97E857C4D1D

"Cuddly Duddly" wrote:

> I have just installed Vista and my Epson Perfection 1660 scanner won't work.
> Epson tells me it is "not supported" and drivers are not available for this
> set up. They suggested I try to get them from their Canadian site (I am in
> the US). I also tried the UK site, at someone else's suggestion, and that
> didn't help either.
>
> Seems to me this might be a bit like Ford Motor Company ceasing supplying
> parts for cars over 4 years old when they bring out new models.
>
> Can anyone help me to save a few bucks by getting this thing to work?
>
> Thank you for any help.

Cuddly Duddly

Re: Epson scanner not working
Thank you to all who have helped. I'll let you now how it all turns out.