Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working

Scott J. Stringfellow

Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
Yesterday my Vista32 Ultimate was working fine, this morning it was in
Standby mode - not normal behavior, as I have backups & scanning running most
of the night. Powered on and found mouse didn't work. After that keyboard
failed. Worked on it, found it to be Win problem but not sure what. Reading
here I may be victim of USB problem, though I've been running fine since
Christmas. Tried Safe mode, no change. Eventually got it back to Last Good
Config and it worked but before I could do a restore it loaded new device
drivers for my USB, apparently 3 drivers - Generic USB Hub, USB Composite
Device, & USB Human Interface. Once they loaded keyboard and mouse died and
even a restore to Last Known Good hasn't fixed the problem. I also tried a
ps2 connector keyboard & mouse and they didn't work either... not quite sure
why there, as I thought that was different than USB, but hey... I don't know
everything. (smile)

Any thoughts, directions, assistance appreciated on how to get my system
running again.

Thanks!

Scott
SkyKnites

RE: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
I too am having some sort of mouse trouble after the patches yesterday, and
as of yet, no fix, but as far as the ps2 , you may want to make sure legacy
support is enabled in the bios if you haven't been using them, maybe it was
disabled or not enabled. My problem seems to be a duplicate instal in device
manager under human interface devices, and mouse pointers. I would be curious
to know if you have same thing, but i don't know how you can find out if you
dont have mouse or keyboard working :/

Good Luck

"Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:

> Yesterday my Vista32 Ultimate was working fine, this morning it was in
> Standby mode - not normal behavior, as I have backups & scanning running most
> of the night. Powered on and found mouse didn't work. After that keyboard
> failed. Worked on it, found it to be Win problem but not sure what. Reading
> here I may be victim of USB problem, though I've been running fine since
> Christmas. Tried Safe mode, no change. Eventually got it back to Last Good
> Config and it worked but before I could do a restore it loaded new device
> drivers for my USB, apparently 3 drivers - Generic USB Hub, USB Composite
> Device, & USB Human Interface. Once they loaded keyboard and mouse died and
> even a restore to Last Known Good hasn't fixed the problem. I also tried a
> ps2 connector keyboard & mouse and they didn't work either... not quite sure
> why there, as I thought that was different than USB, but hey... I don't know
> everything. (smile)
>
> Any thoughts, directions, assistance appreciated on how to get my system
> running again.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

Scott J. Stringfellow

RE: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
It may well be what happened, as I was able to get back to Last Known Config
once and that's when I noticed it loading the device drivers for USB... I saw
it load 3 drivers, Generic USB Hub, USB Composite Device, USB Human
Interface... and it did this two times.

As to the PS2, for the mouse, I had to re-enable it in Bios, but it didn't
fix Win problem nor did using ps2 kybd. Again, not sure why, as I thought
that was different drivers/different hw.

Have tried System Restore off Vista install disk, but it never runs. It
SAYS it's running but nothing ever comes up. Ran Fix System and it says
nothing is wrong.
Sigh...
Thanks for trying.

"SkyKnites" wrote:

> I too am having some sort of mouse trouble after the patches yesterday, and
> as of yet, no fix, but as far as the ps2 , you may want to make sure legacy
> support is enabled in the bios if you haven't been using them, maybe it was
> disabled or not enabled. My problem seems to be a duplicate instal in device
> manager under human interface devices, and mouse pointers. I would be curious
> to know if you have same thing, but i don't know how you can find out if you
> dont have mouse or keyboard working :/
>
> Good Luck
>

> "Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:
>
> > Yesterday my Vista32 Ultimate was working fine, this morning it was in
> > Standby mode - not normal behavior, as I have backups & scanning running most
> > of the night. Powered on and found mouse didn't work. After that keyboard
> > failed. Worked on it, found it to be Win problem but not sure what. Reading
> > here I may be victim of USB problem, though I've been running fine since
> > Christmas. Tried Safe mode, no change. Eventually got it back to Last Good
> > Config and it worked but before I could do a restore it loaded new device
> > drivers for my USB, apparently 3 drivers - Generic USB Hub, USB Composite
> > Device, & USB Human Interface. Once they loaded keyboard and mouse died and
> > even a restore to Last Known Good hasn't fixed the problem. I also tried a
> > ps2 connector keyboard & mouse and they didn't work either... not quite sure
> > why there, as I thought that was different than USB, but hey... I don't know
> > everything. (smile)
> >
> > Any thoughts, directions, assistance appreciated on how to get my system
> > running again.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Scott

SkyKnites

RE: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
your restore point should still exist, you could disconnect your internet,
and restore again, buying yourself a chance to poke around without it
updating on ya

"Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:

> It may well be what happened, as I was able to get back to Last Known Config
> once and that's when I noticed it loading the device drivers for USB... I saw
> it load 3 drivers, Generic USB Hub, USB Composite Device, USB Human
> Interface... and it did this two times.
>
> As to the PS2, for the mouse, I had to re-enable it in Bios, but it didn't
> fix Win problem nor did using ps2 kybd. Again, not sure why, as I thought
> that was different drivers/different hw.
>
> Have tried System Restore off Vista install disk, but it never runs. It
> SAYS it's running but nothing ever comes up. Ran Fix System and it says
> nothing is wrong.
> Sigh...
> Thanks for trying.
>

> "SkyKnites" wrote:
>
> > I too am having some sort of mouse trouble after the patches yesterday, and
> > as of yet, no fix, but as far as the ps2 , you may want to make sure legacy
> > support is enabled in the bios if you haven't been using them, maybe it was
> > disabled or not enabled. My problem seems to be a duplicate instal in device
> > manager under human interface devices, and mouse pointers. I would be curious
> > to know if you have same thing, but i don't know how you can find out if you
> > dont have mouse or keyboard working :/
> >
> > Good Luck
> >

> > "Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:
> >
> > > Yesterday my Vista32 Ultimate was working fine, this morning it was in
> > > Standby mode - not normal behavior, as I have backups & scanning running most
> > > of the night. Powered on and found mouse didn't work. After that keyboard
> > > failed. Worked on it, found it to be Win problem but not sure what. Reading
> > > here I may be victim of USB problem, though I've been running fine since
> > > Christmas. Tried Safe mode, no change. Eventually got it back to Last Good
> > > Config and it worked but before I could do a restore it loaded new device
> > > drivers for my USB, apparently 3 drivers - Generic USB Hub, USB Composite
> > > Device, & USB Human Interface. Once they loaded keyboard and mouse died and
> > > even a restore to Last Known Good hasn't fixed the problem. I also tried a
> > > ps2 connector keyboard & mouse and they didn't work either... not quite sure
> > > why there, as I thought that was different than USB, but hey... I don't know
> > > everything. (smile)
> > >
> > > Any thoughts, directions, assistance appreciated on how to get my system
> > > running again.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Scott

Scott J. Stringfellow

RE: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
Good Point.
Hadn't thought of that, but will try it.
Thanks!

"SkyKnites" wrote:

> your restore point should still exist, you could disconnect your internet,
> and restore again, buying yourself a chance to poke around without it
> updating on ya
>
> "Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:
>
> > It may well be what happened, as I was able to get back to Last Known Config
> > once and that's when I noticed it loading the device drivers for USB... I saw
> > it load 3 drivers, Generic USB Hub, USB Composite Device, USB Human
> > Interface... and it did this two times.
> >
> > As to the PS2, for the mouse, I had to re-enable it in Bios, but it didn't
> > fix Win problem nor did using ps2 kybd. Again, not sure why, as I thought
> > that was different drivers/different hw.
> >
> > Have tried System Restore off Vista install disk, but it never runs. It
> > SAYS it's running but nothing ever comes up. Ran Fix System and it says
> > nothing is wrong.
> > Sigh...
> > Thanks for trying.
> >

> > "SkyKnites" wrote:
> >
> > > I too am having some sort of mouse trouble after the patches yesterday, and
> > > as of yet, no fix, but as far as the ps2 , you may want to make sure legacy
> > > support is enabled in the bios if you haven't been using them, maybe it was
> > > disabled or not enabled. My problem seems to be a duplicate instal in device
> > > manager under human interface devices, and mouse pointers. I would be curious
> > > to know if you have same thing, but i don't know how you can find out if you
> > > dont have mouse or keyboard working :/
> > >
> > > Good Luck

Rui Guimarães

RE: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
I am also having the same problem, but this doesn't exactly solve the problem.

Is there anything that can fix this issue caused by windows update?

Thanks,
Rui Guimarães

"Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:

> Good Point.
> Hadn't thought of that, but will try it.
> Thanks!
>
> "SkyKnites" wrote:
>
> > your restore point should still exist, you could disconnect your internet,
> > and restore again, buying yourself a chance to poke around without it
> > updating on ya
> >
> > "Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:
> >
> > > It may well be what happened, as I was able to get back to Last Known Config
> > > once and that's when I noticed it loading the device drivers for USB... I saw
> > > it load 3 drivers, Generic USB Hub, USB Composite Device, USB Human
> > > Interface... and it did this two times.
> > >
> > > As to the PS2, for the mouse, I had to re-enable it in Bios, but it didn't
> > > fix Win problem nor did using ps2 kybd. Again, not sure why, as I thought
> > > that was different drivers/different hw.
> > >
> > > Have tried System Restore off Vista install disk, but it never runs. It
> > > SAYS it's running but nothing ever comes up. Ran Fix System and it says
> > > nothing is wrong.
> > > Sigh...
> > > Thanks for trying.

Cameron

RE: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
Yep, same exact issues here. Definitely an Automatic Updates issue. Spent
three hours last night trying the exact same fixes. I plugged another mouse
into a different USB port and did a restore to an earlier date but the mouse
didn't work. So I unplugged it and plugged my other wireless mouse and
keyboard back into it's normal USB port and they started working fine. Then
this morning my computer automatically installed the updates again and I had
no mouse again!!

"Rui Guimarães" wrote:

> I am also having the same problem, but this doesn't exactly solve the problem.
>
> Is there anything that can fix this issue caused by windows update?
>
> Thanks,
> Rui Guimarães
>

> "Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:
>
> > Good Point.
> > Hadn't thought of that, but will try it.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "SkyKnites" wrote:
> >
> > > your restore point should still exist, you could disconnect your internet,
> > > and restore again, buying yourself a chance to poke around without it
> > > updating on ya

SkyKnites

RE: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
More and more complaints are rolling in, we can only hope they will get it
fixed and patch again to help us out :/ It sure seems to be usb related, HID
devices,(mice and keyboards) most notably. Obviously there are many out there
without a 2nd pc, who are probably stuck without a mouse/keyboard who can't
even ask for help.

"Cameron" wrote:

> Yep, same exact issues here. Definitely an Automatic Updates issue. Spent
> three hours last night trying the exact same fixes. I plugged another mouse
> into a different USB port and did a restore to an earlier date but the mouse
> didn't work. So I unplugged it and plugged my other wireless mouse and
> keyboard back into it's normal USB port and they started working fine. Then
> this morning my computer automatically installed the updates again and I had
> no mouse again!!
>
> "Rui Guimarães" wrote:
>
> > I am also having the same problem, but this doesn't exactly solve the problem.
> >
> > Is there anything that can fix this issue caused by windows update?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rui Guimarães
> >

> > "Scott J. Stringfellow" wrote:
> >
> > > Good Point.
> > > Hadn't thought of that, but will try it.
> > > Thanks!

DesireeStar

Re: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working

OK My problem is similar enough to post, the only difference is I'm
running x64 Ultimate. Since yesterdays update, no USB mouse will work.

To troubleshoot I:
Changed batteries.
Changed the Mouse to a different USB mouse
Changed the USB ports.
Tried PS2

PS2 are the only ones that work.

My USB ports are fine, I can see drives etc from them, but not the
mice. When I try to plug in my logitech Cordless Trackman, it tries to
install drivers, which it doesn't need to do. What the...

Soooooo who do I yell at to get my mice working again? I hate ps2.

--
DesireeStar
SkyKnites

Re: Vista32, new driver? & USB Mouse/Keyboard not working
x64 vista home premium here, I narrowed down my problem to vista trying to
find a driver for HID mouse, if i cancel out it keeps working without error,
just pops up everytime i reboot... new hardware found and driver instal
failed. Mouse shows no error in device manager and I installed 64bit
intellipoint with no problem, just no driver for HID mouse device. The
problem is definetly related to USB , HID, and seemingly the patch a few days
ago triggered it, although removing the patches did not fix it for me.