Re: Can't change monitor driver

Rufinoman

Re: Can't change monitor driver

I have a similar problem.
My inlaws have a new machine with Vista Starter which they got as a
pensioners special deal.
Anyway I{m trying to change the monitor from the pnp basic to what is
actually connected ie an LG Flatron 1752s having downlaoded the drivers
from LG.
When I try to point the system to the .inf and .icm files for the
monitor, they do not show in the directory where I put them.
I have disabled UAC and also enabled show hidden files. None of this
works.
The graphics are Via-S3 on board and shared.
Any tips.
Thanks

--
Rufinoman
Gordon

"Rufinoman" <Rufinoman.37m1o1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have a similar problem.
> My inlaws have a new machine with Vista Starter which they got as a
> pensioners special deal.
> Anyway I{m trying to change the monitor from the pnp basic to what is
> actually connected ie an LG Flatron 1752s having downlaoded the drivers
> from LG.
> When I try to point the system to the .inf and .icm files for the
> monitor, they do not show in the directory where I put them.
> I have disabled UAC and also enabled show hidden files. None of this
> works.
> The graphics are Via-S3 on board and shared.
> Any tips.
> Thanks

Please note:
This is NOT a chat room and You are NOT posting to a forum run by
Vistaheads - you are actually posting to a global Usenet Newsgroup. You will
get a far better experience if you use a newsreader and subscribe to these
groups directly, rather than through Vistaheads.

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

If you must stay with Vistaheads then please follow Usenet custom by quoting
the post you are replying to, and replying to the thread.

Thank you.

http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Bob

Re: Can't change monitor driver

Uninstall all monitors you see in Device Manager. Reboot and follow the
prompts.
-------
*Report back, please*

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Rufinoman" <Rufinoman.37m1o1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a similar problem.
>> My inlaws have a new machine with Vista Starter which they got as a
>> pensioners special deal.
>> Anyway I{m trying to change the monitor from the pnp basic to what is
>> actually connected ie an LG Flatron 1752s having downlaoded the drivers
>> from LG.
>> When I try to point the system to the .inf and .icm files for the
>> monitor, they do not show in the directory where I put them.
>> I have disabled UAC and also enabled show hidden files. None of this
>> works.
>> The graphics are Via-S3 on board and shared.
>> Any tips.
>> Thanks
>>

> Please note:
> This is NOT a chat room and You are NOT posting to a forum run by
> Vistaheads - you are actually posting to a global Usenet Newsgroup. You
> will get a far better experience if you use a newsreader and subscribe to
> these groups directly, rather than through Vistaheads.
>
> Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
>
> Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx
>
> If you must stay with Vistaheads then please follow Usenet custom by
> quoting the post you are replying to, and replying to the thread.
>
> Thank you.
>
> http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Rufinoman

Re: Can't change monitor driver

Appreciate your help Bob.
Tried that and it made no diff.
Used the onboard S3 Util to change res in the end, which was/is
compatible with the monitor.
I was considering dual booting Vista/XP, but it's not my PC and if they
are happy with Vista Starter then fine.
Thanks
Marc

--
Rufinoman
Bob

Re: Can't change monitor driver
YW

"Rufinoman" <Rufinoman.37mhmz@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Appreciate your help Bob.
> Tried that and it made no diff.
> Used the onboard S3 Util to change res in the end, which was/is
> compatible with the monitor.
> I was considering dual booting Vista/XP, but it's not my PC and if they
> are happy with Vista Starter then fine.
> Thanks
> Marc
>

> --
> Rufinoman

PaulB

Re: Can't change monitor driver
Check to see if there is a compatibility file Tab at the top of the folder
that you stored the driver. Select it and you should find the driver. The
system may have put it in a virtual store.
--
Paul

"Rufinoman" wrote:

> I have a similar problem.
> My inlaws have a new machine with Vista Starter which they got as a
> pensioners special deal.
> Anyway I{m trying to change the monitor from the pnp basic to what is
> actually connected ie an LG Flatron 1752s having downlaoded the drivers
> from LG.
> When I try to point the system to the .inf and .icm files for the
> monitor, they do not show in the directory where I put them.
> I have disabled UAC and also enabled show hidden files. None of this
> works.
> The graphics are Via-S3 on board and shared.
> Any tips.
> Thanks
>

> --
> Rufinoman

RalfG

Re: Can't change monitor driver
I had a similar problem with my Viewsonic driver. Turned out the driver that
was released for Vista was not digitally signed so the automatic installer
just ignored it in favour of a generic monitor driver. Installed it manually
instead, bypassing the warning prompts.