Optical drive not recognised by system.

Stephan

Optical drive not recognised by system.
Hello,

I've recently bought a new laptop. It is doing fine and dandy, but it won't
play any DVD discs. I thought I'd ask a question here first before returning
it to the manufacturer.

I am a first time Vista user, but otherwise I have quite a good know-how of
computers.

This is the situation.

Whenever I enter a disc, it shows that it is being read, I hear it spin and
hear otherwise normal sounds.

However, the disc won't play automatically. After a wild search I could'nt
find it in the new 'my computer'.

It got from bad to worse when I found out that no optical drives where
displayed the 'Device Manager'. There was not even an error shown.

So I checked the BIOS but found no information. The IDE controller showed as
'[none]' and was (being a laptop of course) unadjustable.

I also did not receive any unusual POST beeps during BOOT.

So my question to you is: Is there something I may have missed?

Also, is it better to re-install Vista or imeadiately return it for service?

I thank you in advance.
David B.

Re: Optical drive not recognised by system.
As it is a new laptop, contact the mfg for support.

--

----

"Stephan" <Stephan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've recently bought a new laptop. It is doing fine and dandy, but it
> won't
> play any DVD discs. I thought I'd ask a question here first before
> returning
> it to the manufacturer.
>
> I am a first time Vista user, but otherwise I have quite a good know-how
> of
> computers.
>
> This is the situation.
>
> Whenever I enter a disc, it shows that it is being read, I hear it spin
> and
> hear otherwise normal sounds.
>
> However, the disc won't play automatically. After a wild search I could'nt
> find it in the new 'my computer'.
>
> It got from bad to worse when I found out that no optical drives where
> displayed the 'Device Manager'. There was not even an error shown.
>
> So I checked the BIOS but found no information. The IDE controller showed
> as
> '[none]' and was (being a laptop of course) unadjustable.
>
> I also did not receive any unusual POST beeps during BOOT.
>
> So my question to you is: Is there something I may have missed?
>
> Also, is it better to re-install Vista or imeadiately return it for
> service?
>
> I thank you in advance.

bsam358

RE: Optical drive not recognised by system.

--
bsam358
Hi Steve;...My daughter and I have both encountered this problem, on our
Vista PC's. According to the "Best Buy' tech. it is caused by an update from
itunes. He said that there was a "Optical Drive fix" on the internet, but I
never found it. He said he had the "Fix", that they use, but wouldn't
elaborate further. I repaired the problem, by Restoring to an earlier date. I
also downloaded SP1, and so far have had no more problems. "Apple" does not
not any fixes for this problem, that I could find.