USB Thumb drives not working

Jim

USB Thumb drives not working
I have recently installed Windows Vista Home Premium edtion with SP1
installed and now find my USB thumb drives are not working. The drives
still all work fine in WinXP SP2. I have five drives and all come up with a
yellow mark in the device manager stating they require drivers???

I have pointed the driver install to C:\Windows\System32 and it states

Windows encoutered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found the driver software for youe device but encountered an error
while attempting to install it

USB Mass Storage Device

The System cannot find the file specified.

It then asks me to got to the manufacturer of the device?

I am using an ASUS P5K SE mainboard which has many USB devices, none of
which allow the USB thumb drive to work. I have an external 1TB drive which
is working fine as well as USB Mouse, Web Cam, Scanner and printer. My Ipod
also suffers the same problem as the Thumbdrive!!!!!!

Please can someone help me with this problem!!!

Rich T

Re: USB Thumb drives not working
Vista has a lot of USB problems. There is no easy resolution to these
problems - except to reinstall XP.

Jim

"Jim" <nospam@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>I have recently installed Windows Vista Home Premium edtion with SP1
>installed and now find my USB thumb drives are not working. The drives
>still all work fine in WinXP SP2. I have five drives and all come up with
>a yellow mark in the device manager stating they require drivers???
>
> I have pointed the driver install to C:\Windows\System32 and it states
>
> Windows encoutered a problem installing the driver software for your
> device
>
> Windows found the driver software for youe device but encountered an error
> while attempting to install it
>
> USB Mass Storage Device
>
> The System cannot find the file specified.
>
> It then asks me to got to the manufacturer of the device?
>
> I am using an ASUS P5K SE mainboard which has many USB devices, none of
> which allow the USB thumb drive to work. I have an external 1TB drive
> which is working fine as well as USB Mouse, Web Cam, Scanner and printer.
> My Ipod also suffers the same problem as the Thumbdrive!!!!!!
>
> Please can someone help me with this problem!!!

Ok I uninstalled SP1 and now everything is ok!

Microsoft you have some serious work to do to fix that pile of poop!

Monkeyman

Re: USB Thumb drives not working

Jim

I have exact same Motherboard and overcame problem in respect of a 4Gb
USB Pendrive by going into the BIOS on boot up, I think you press Del to
get into it on Boot UP.

If you look through there is a section for USB and one I think was
specifically marked up as X64 or something like that. I just enabled and
re-booted and now it works. The strange thing is that other pendrives up
to 2Gb worked before I did that.

My latest problem as of today (See post) is getting a USB Freecom
Classic SL drive 180Gb to work but thats another thread.

--
Monkeyman