Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2008
GT
 

Posts: n/a
PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.
my motherboard support this configuration:
2 IDE connectors Supports: (my main setup) Pata 160gb HD connected to the
primary IDE Blue. 2 Optical drive using a single flat ribbon primary/slave
setup connected to the secondary IDE connectors black
2 SATA connectors Supports: Not in used but enabled by default in bios.
should i disable this since it's not use.

I'm thinking of getting a SATA harddrive since the price for both PATA/SATA
is the same now but i want to find out how to configure a SATA harddrive. Can
i use a SATA/300 Harddrive in SATA 150 connectors?

I have two optical drive connected on a single flat ribbon DVD-RW drive as
primary and CD drive as secondary. the flat ribbon is connected in the
secondary IDE connector in motherboard. Once i upgrade my harddrive to SATA
do i remove the optical drive flat ribbon and place it to the primary IDE.
Now both optical drive is connected on different IDE connector. So basically
i have this setup harddrive connected to SATA connector, DVD-RW Drive
connected to primary IDE connector, CD-drive connected to secondary IDE
connector. is this the right setup or do i just leave the optical drive in
the same connections.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
Jacob Sleestaker
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.
Time to dump the dinosaur motherboard and get one that supports SATA II and
above.



"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E9D8389B-430E-452A-82AC-FE81257D79F6@microsoft.com...
> my motherboard support this configuration:
> 2 IDE connectors Supports: (my main setup) Pata 160gb HD connected to the
> primary IDE Blue. 2 Optical drive using a single flat ribbon primary/slave
> setup connected to the secondary IDE connectors black
> 2 SATA connectors Supports: Not in used but enabled by default in bios.
> should i disable this since it's not use.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a SATA harddrive since the price for both
> PATA/SATA
> is the same now but i want to find out how to configure a SATA harddrive.
> Can
> i use a SATA/300 Harddrive in SATA 150 connectors?
>
> I have two optical drive connected on a single flat ribbon DVD-RW drive as
> primary and CD drive as secondary. the flat ribbon is connected in the
> secondary IDE connector in motherboard. Once i upgrade my harddrive to
> SATA
> do i remove the optical drive flat ribbon and place it to the primary IDE.
> Now both optical drive is connected on different IDE connector. So
> basically
> i have this setup harddrive connected to SATA connector, DVD-RW Drive
> connected to primary IDE connector, CD-drive connected to secondary IDE
> connector. is this the right setup or do i just leave the optical drive in
> the same connections.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
GT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.
I'm replacing it because my harddrive is loud. Do i have to format a sata
drive or can i just plug the sata harddrive in the sata connectors and
install the OS

"BigJim" wrote:

>
> "GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E9D8389B-430E-452A-82AC-FE81257D79F6@microsoft.com...
> > my motherboard support this configuration:
> > 2 IDE connectors Supports: (my main setup) Pata 160gb HD connected to the
> > primary IDE Blue. 2 Optical drive using a single flat ribbon primary/slave
> > setup connected to the secondary IDE connectors black
> > 2 SATA connectors Supports: Not in used but enabled by default in bios.
> > should i disable this since it's not use.

>
> not necessary
>
>
>
> > I'm thinking of getting a SATA harddrive since the price for both
> > PATA/SATA
> > is the same now but i want to find out how to configure a SATA harddrive.
> > Can
> > i use a SATA/300 Harddrive in SATA 150 connectors?
> >

> yes, just check the jumpers on the drive. It is configerable to 300 or 150.
>
>
> > I have two optical drive connected on a single flat ribbon DVD-RW drive as
> > primary and CD drive as secondary. the flat ribbon is connected in the
> > secondary IDE connector in motherboard. Once i upgrade my harddrive to
> > SATA
> > do i remove the optical drive flat ribbon and place it to the primary IDE.
> > Now both optical drive is connected on different IDE connector. So
> > basically
> > i have this setup harddrive connected to SATA connector, DVD-RW Drive
> > connected to primary IDE connector, CD-drive connected to secondary IDE
> > connector. is this the right setup or do i just leave the optical drive in
> > the same connections.

>
> you can leave them as is, you can add the sata drive for backup.
> You don't have to disable your primary boot drive. you will have to
> partition and format the drive.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
Gary
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.

On 6-Apr-2008, =?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?= <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> my motherboard support this configuration:
> 2 IDE connectors Supports: (my main setup) Pata 160gb HD connected to the
> primary IDE Blue. 2 Optical drive using a single flat ribbon primary/slave
>
> setup connected to the secondary IDE connectors black
> 2 SATA connectors Supports: Not in used but enabled by default in bios.
> should i disable this since it's not use.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a SATA harddrive since the price for both
> PATA/SATA
> is the same now but i want to find out how to configure a SATA harddrive.
> Can
> i use a SATA/300 Harddrive in SATA 150 connectors?
>
> I have two optical drive connected on a single flat ribbon DVD-RW drive as
>
> primary and CD drive as secondary. the flat ribbon is connected in the
> secondary IDE connector in motherboard. Once i upgrade my harddrive to
> SATA
> do i remove the optical drive flat ribbon and place it to the primary IDE.
>
> Now both optical drive is connected on different IDE connector. So
> basically
> i have this setup harddrive connected to SATA connector, DVD-RW Drive
> connected to primary IDE connector, CD-drive connected to secondary IDE
> connector. is this the right setup or do i just leave the optical drive in
>
> the same connections.


I have just did this and had the same setup as you. I bought two Seagate
SATA300 drives that have a jumper you remove to use it as a SATA150 drive. I
had no problems at all installing this new drives. I use True Image to
restore my backup image to the new drive from my other SATA150 drive.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008
BigJim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.

"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E9D8389B-430E-452A-82AC-FE81257D79F6@microsoft.com...
> my motherboard support this configuration:
> 2 IDE connectors Supports: (my main setup) Pata 160gb HD connected to the
> primary IDE Blue. 2 Optical drive using a single flat ribbon primary/slave
> setup connected to the secondary IDE connectors black
> 2 SATA connectors Supports: Not in used but enabled by default in bios.
> should i disable this since it's not use.


not necessary



> I'm thinking of getting a SATA harddrive since the price for both
> PATA/SATA
> is the same now but i want to find out how to configure a SATA harddrive.
> Can
> i use a SATA/300 Harddrive in SATA 150 connectors?
>

yes, just check the jumpers on the drive. It is configerable to 300 or 150.


> I have two optical drive connected on a single flat ribbon DVD-RW drive as
> primary and CD drive as secondary. the flat ribbon is connected in the
> secondary IDE connector in motherboard. Once i upgrade my harddrive to
> SATA
> do i remove the optical drive flat ribbon and place it to the primary IDE.
> Now both optical drive is connected on different IDE connector. So
> basically
> i have this setup harddrive connected to SATA connector, DVD-RW Drive
> connected to primary IDE connector, CD-drive connected to secondary IDE
> connector. is this the right setup or do i just leave the optical drive in
> the same connections.


you can leave them as is, you can add the sata drive for backup.
You don't have to disable your primary boot drive. you will have to
partition and format the drive.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008
BigJim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.

"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C24698B-7B45-4518-8E47-3ED71B557280@microsoft.com...
> I'm replacing it because my harddrive is loud. Do i have to format a sata
> drive or can i just plug the sata harddrive in the sata connectors and
> install the OS
>

Some board will let you do just that, some won't.
This is what I think you want to do. Disconnect you old drive,
then connect the sata and boot to bios. See if the sata is recognized by
the bios if it is your all set. Put you OS disk in the cd drive and boot to
it.
All fresh drives must be partitioned and a quick format will do. Now install
the OS.
When done with the OS install you should install the chipset drivers for the
motherboard,
video and sound drivers and any other drivers you need to make the devices
work.
That's it in a nutshell. Good luck




> "BigJim" wrote:
>
>>
>> "GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E9D8389B-430E-452A-82AC-FE81257D79F6@microsoft.com...
>> > my motherboard support this configuration:
>> > 2 IDE connectors Supports: (my main setup) Pata 160gb HD connected to
>> > the
>> > primary IDE Blue. 2 Optical drive using a single flat ribbon
>> > primary/slave
>> > setup connected to the secondary IDE connectors black
>> > 2 SATA connectors Supports: Not in used but enabled by default in bios.
>> > should i disable this since it's not use.

>>
>> not necessary
>>
>>
>>
>> > I'm thinking of getting a SATA harddrive since the price for both
>> > PATA/SATA
>> > is the same now but i want to find out how to configure a SATA
>> > harddrive.
>> > Can
>> > i use a SATA/300 Harddrive in SATA 150 connectors?
>> >

>> yes, just check the jumpers on the drive. It is configerable to 300 or
>> 150.
>>
>>
>> > I have two optical drive connected on a single flat ribbon DVD-RW drive
>> > as
>> > primary and CD drive as secondary. the flat ribbon is connected in the
>> > secondary IDE connector in motherboard. Once i upgrade my harddrive to
>> > SATA
>> > do i remove the optical drive flat ribbon and place it to the primary
>> > IDE.
>> > Now both optical drive is connected on different IDE connector. So
>> > basically
>> > i have this setup harddrive connected to SATA connector, DVD-RW Drive
>> > connected to primary IDE connector, CD-drive connected to secondary IDE
>> > connector. is this the right setup or do i just leave the optical drive
>> > in
>> > the same connections.

>>
>> you can leave them as is, you can add the sata drive for backup.
>> You don't have to disable your primary boot drive. you will have to
>> partition and format the drive.
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008
Gary
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.

On 7-Apr-2008, "Gary" <zero@nospam.com> wrote:

> I have just did this and had the same setup as you. I bought two Seagate
> SATA300 drives that have a jumper you remove to use it as a SATA150 drive.
> I
> had no problems at all installing this new drives. I use True Image to
> restore my backup image to the new drive from my other SATA150 drive.


Sorry you remove the jumper to use SATA300 and leave it in for SATA150.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2008
GT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.
did you have to install the Serial ATA controller/motherboard drivers?

"Gary" wrote:

>
> On 7-Apr-2008, "Gary" <zero@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > I have just did this and had the same setup as you. I bought two Seagate
> > SATA300 drives that have a jumper you remove to use it as a SATA150 drive.
> > I
> > had no problems at all installing this new drives. I use True Image to
> > restore my backup image to the new drive from my other SATA150 drive.

>
> Sorry you remove the jumper to use SATA300 and leave it in for SATA150.
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2008
GT
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.
Do i have to install the Serial ATA controller driver or motherboard drivers
when installing Vista in a new blank SATA harddrive or can i just install
windows vista

"BigJim" wrote:

>
> "GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3C24698B-7B45-4518-8E47-3ED71B557280@microsoft.com...
> > I'm replacing it because my harddrive is loud. Do i have to format a sata
> > drive or can i just plug the sata harddrive in the sata connectors and
> > install the OS
> >

> Some board will let you do just that, some won't.
> This is what I think you want to do. Disconnect you old drive,
> then connect the sata and boot to bios. See if the sata is recognized by
> the bios if it is your all set. Put you OS disk in the cd drive and boot to
> it.
> All fresh drives must be partitioned and a quick format will do. Now install
> the OS.
> When done with the OS install you should install the chipset drivers for the
> motherboard,
> video and sound drivers and any other drivers you need to make the devices
> work.
> That's it in a nutshell. Good luck
>
>
>
>
> > "BigJim" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> "GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:E9D8389B-430E-452A-82AC-FE81257D79F6@microsoft.com...
> >> > my motherboard support this configuration:
> >> > 2 IDE connectors Supports: (my main setup) Pata 160gb HD connected to
> >> > the
> >> > primary IDE Blue. 2 Optical drive using a single flat ribbon
> >> > primary/slave
> >> > setup connected to the secondary IDE connectors black
> >> > 2 SATA connectors Supports: Not in used but enabled by default in bios.
> >> > should i disable this since it's not use.
> >>
> >> not necessary
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> > I'm thinking of getting a SATA harddrive since the price for both
> >> > PATA/SATA
> >> > is the same now but i want to find out how to configure a SATA
> >> > harddrive.
> >> > Can
> >> > i use a SATA/300 Harddrive in SATA 150 connectors?
> >> >
> >> yes, just check the jumpers on the drive. It is configerable to 300 or
> >> 150.
> >>
> >>
> >> > I have two optical drive connected on a single flat ribbon DVD-RW drive
> >> > as
> >> > primary and CD drive as secondary. the flat ribbon is connected in the
> >> > secondary IDE connector in motherboard. Once i upgrade my harddrive to
> >> > SATA
> >> > do i remove the optical drive flat ribbon and place it to the primary
> >> > IDE.
> >> > Now both optical drive is connected on different IDE connector. So
> >> > basically
> >> > i have this setup harddrive connected to SATA connector, DVD-RW Drive
> >> > connected to primary IDE connector, CD-drive connected to secondary IDE
> >> > connector. is this the right setup or do i just leave the optical drive
> >> > in
> >> > the same connections.
> >>
> >> you can leave them as is, you can add the sata drive for backup.
> >> You don't have to disable your primary boot drive. you will have to
> >> partition and format the drive.
> >>
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2008
Richard G. Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PATA and upgrading to SATA harddrive.
That's impossible to answer. No one can know whether or not Vista has the
SATA drivers you need since you don't tell us what motherboard or SATA
controller you're planning on using. The odds are good that it will but
there are no guarantees.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FCD4E1D9-F2FB-4AF6-BFD1-8B354A5ED62C@microsoft.com...
> Do i have to install the Serial ATA controller driver or motherboard
> drivers
> when installing Vista in a new blank SATA harddrive or can i just install
> windows vista


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SATA - PATA Hard drive issues =?Utf-8?B?cmV0aXJlZCBmaXJl?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 25 01-18-2008 17:36
Problem with Silicon Image 0680A PATA-card Johan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-29-2007 14:57
cloning laptop sata harddrive vista premium Mark Ryan microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 04-26-2007 19:44
Activation after upgrading Disk to SATA and RAID INCH6R Armin Heinlein microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 04-20-2007 04:32
Upgrading Vista on sep Partition Harddrive =?Utf-8?B?VGRhd2d4?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 10 12-12-2006 01:50




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:36.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120