my cdrom drive is gone?!?!?!?

Pete n Loni

my cdrom drive is gone?!?!?!?
My husband and I have the same exact computer with all the same exact
programs and except he has the service pack 1 and I do not, but we were both
listening to cd's 2 days ago and now neither of our computers seem to have
our cdrom drives.

I tried to re map the drives and I got the path from the "driver details"
and our computers say the path does not exist

When I go to the control panel, then device manager, then to DVD/CD-ROM
drives , then TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D I get this message

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available."

So we got on line tonight and wet to a few "help me" type web sites and it
seems quite a few people are having the same problem...............
.Joe

Re: my cdrom drive is gone?!?!?!?

Pete n Loni;673910 Wrote:
> My husband and I have the same exact computer with all the same exact
> programs and except he has the service pack 1 and I do not, but we were
> both
> listening to cd's 2 days ago and now neither of our computers seem to
> have
> our cdrom drives.
>
> I tried to re map the drives and I got the path from the "driver
> details"
> and our computers say the path does not exist
>
> When I go to the control panel, then device manager, then to DVD/CD-ROM
> drives , then TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D I get this message
>
> "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver
> may be
> corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
> and
> to see if there is a solution available."
>
> So we got on line tonight and wet to a few "help me" type web sites and
> it
> seems quite a few people are having the same problem...............

Pete n Loni:

Here's a fix for this situation from Microsoft. It says for XP, but
applies to Vista. Here's the link: 'You can no longer access the CD
drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove
a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: \"error
code 31\"' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)

I hope this helps.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com\")_
_*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
_**_
Donald L McDaniel

Re: my cdrom drive is gone?!?!?!?
On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:01:01 -0700, Pete n Loni
<PetenLoni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My husband and I have the same exact computer with all the same exact
>programs and except he has the service pack 1 and I do not, but we were both
>listening to cd's 2 days ago and now neither of our computers seem to have
>our cdrom drives.
>
>I tried to re map the drives and I got the path from the "driver details"
>and our computers say the path does not exist
>
>When I go to the control panel, then device manager, then to DVD/CD-ROM
>drives , then TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652D I get this message
>
>"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
>corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
>Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
>to see if there is a solution available."
>
>So we got on line tonight and wet to a few "help me" type web sites and it
>seems quite a few people are having the same problem...............

Did you both recently install iTunes/Quicktime for Windows?
Disappearing media devices after installing it is a KNOWN problem
under Vista.

If you uninstall iTunes, then restart, the devices should be back in
operation.

There is a method for a work-around, but you will be unable to use
iTunes CD/DVD burning after doing it.

The method is to
1) Open a Command Prompt
2) Enter "regedit" (without the quote marks) then strike the <Enter>
key.
3) Navigate to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}",
and delete the UpperFilters subkey, then restart the machine.

You should then have access to your CD/DVD drives in Vista once again.
But as I said, if this was caused by installing Apple's iTunes
software for Windows, you will lose access to CD/DVD burning in iTunes
(but not the ability to access your iTunes Media library.)

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.