Harddrive user access

JeBuchanan

Harddrive user access
I have a WD 750G SATA2 HDD connected to the J-Micron controller (part of my
Asus P5K motherboard). Problem is, user access (and my own Admin access) is
reduced to read-only on this drive. If I re-initialize the drive, access is
correct for all users, but after a week, the access is again reduced.
Programs using this drive can no longer write to it, causing problems when I
have to re-direct information to another drive. I shouldn't have to
continuously re-initialize this drive to keep access. Tried changing the
settings from the Properties window, but it couldn't write the changes to the
drive to allow them to take effect.
I am running Vista Ultimate x64, and the controller is set to read the
drives as just another drive (no RAID configured in BIOS). Drivers are the
most recent I could find. CPU is Intel Quad-Core Q6600 Step 0 and I have 4G
RAM.
Any solutions/suggestions would be most welcome.

Roy Ballew

Re: Harddrive user access
The first thing that I do after installing Vista is go thru all Vista
Folders and right click mouse, Properties,, SET the Security pointing to
your name (handle on the computer that you are using).

It takes a little while, but then you should not have to have to get
permissions all the time on most folders, copying, etc..

If your WD is separate from Vista, you should not be having that problem
either. I just added a 3rd HD (WD 640g) to my computer and set it up
without problem.

Just go into Control Panel <--Administration Tools. <-- Computer Mgt <--
Select Disk Management and set the drive up.

I do things a little different on mine. I boot from an old ME floppy disk,
FDisk and initialize the HD and set it up as Extended, even though ME can't
see all of it, It get listed as Extended, I notice Vista wants to make a
new HD as a primary without options for Extended.

Boot into Vista and set up the partitions now..

--
RJB

"JeBuchanan" <JeBuchanan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a WD 750G SATA2 HDD connected to the J-Micron controller (part of my
> Asus P5K motherboard). Problem is, user access (and my own Admin access)
> is
> reduced to read-only on this drive. If I re-initialize the drive, access
> is
> correct for all users, but after a week, the access is again reduced.
> Programs using this drive can no longer write to it, causing problems when
> have to re-direct information to another drive. I shouldn't have to
> continuously re-initialize this drive to keep access. Tried changing the
> settings from the Properties window, but it couldn't write the changes to
> the
> drive to allow them to take effect.
> I am running Vista Ultimate x64, and the controller is set to read the
> drives as just another drive (no RAID configured in BIOS). Drivers are
> the
> most recent I could find. CPU is Intel Quad-Core Q6600 Step 0 and I have
> 4G
> RAM.
> Any solutions/suggestions would be most welcome.

JeBuchanan

Re: Harddrive user access
Thank you. This seems to have worked. I will keep an eye on the drive to
see if it maintains the 'correct' settings.