network printer help

Eddie G

network printer help
My printer is on an XP machine and my VISTA machine is connected via a
wireless network. When I go to print from the Vista machine I get a message
that I need to install the printer driver, but HP does not have a Vista
driver yet. They have a "fix" to get a printer working in the meantime, but
it is for a local printer. Should I use the information for the fix on my
XP machine and than access that printer from my Vista machine? Will that
work? Can it be that easy?

Thanks!!

Eddie

Drew

Re: network printer help
I don't know if this will help or not but I have Vista Business edition full
install and a hp 3600n laser printer connected to my router...I found that
my install disk for xp loaded the drivers fine and then I assigned the ip
address for printer and it works perfectly...Best of Luck
"Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote in message
news:886dnaemap7T0GrYnZ2dnUVZ_oOknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> My printer is on an XP machine and my VISTA machine is connected via a
> wireless network. When I go to print from the Vista machine I get a
> message that I need to install the printer driver, but HP does not have a
> Vista driver yet. They have a "fix" to get a printer working in the
> meantime, but it is for a local printer. Should I use the information for
> the fix on my XP machine and than access that printer from my Vista
> machine? Will that work? Can it be that easy?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Eddie

Alan Holley

Re: network printer help
Eddie G wrote:
> My printer is on an XP machine and my VISTA machine is connected via a
> wireless network. When I go to print from the Vista machine I get a
> message that I need to install the printer driver, but HP does not have
> a Vista driver yet. They have a "fix" to get a printer working in the
> meantime, but it is for a local printer. Should I use the information
> for the fix on my XP machine and than access that printer from my Vista
> machine? Will that work? Can it be that easy?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Eddie

I had a similar problem with an HP 1200 printer and was only able to
solve it by connecting the printer to the VISTA system and letting it
install its driver there after which my XP system could access the
printer OK. I was never able to install a driver on the VISTA system
without actually having a printer connected!
Michal Kawecki

Re: network printer help
"Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote in message
news:886dnaemap7T0GrYnZ2dnUVZ_oOknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> My printer is on an XP machine and my VISTA machine is connected via a
> wireless network. When I go to print from the Vista machine I get a
> message that I need to install the printer driver, but HP does not
> have a Vista driver yet. They have a "fix" to get a printer working
> in the meantime, but it is for a local printer. Should I use the
> information for the fix on my XP machine and than access that printer
> from my Vista machine? Will that work? Can it be that easy?
>
> Thanks!!

Try this solution:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...ID=17&PageID=1
--
Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
Warsaw, PL

Eddie G

Re: network printer help
On Mar 14, 4:38 am, "Michal Kawecki" <kkwi...@o2.pl> wrote:
> "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> news:886dnaemap7T0GrYnZ2dnUVZ_oOknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>
> > My printer is on an XP machine and my VISTA machine is connected via a
> > wireless network. When I go to print from the Vista machine I get a
> > message that I need to install the printer driver, but HP does not
> > have a Vista driver yet. They have a "fix" to get a printer working
> > in the meantime, but it is for a local printer. Should I use the
> > information for the fix on my XP machine and than access that printer
> > from my Vista machine? Will that work? Can it be that easy?

> > Thanks!!

> Try this solution:http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...D=924536&SiteI...
> --
> Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
> Warsaw, PL

Unfortunatly I cannot do that...the printer USB and power cables are
behind a large computer desk against a wall and one cable goes to the
right and the other to the left. Well, I CAN do it, but it would be a
hassle.

k2theman

Re: network printer help

Hey just wanted to say thanks for the link; I had the same problem and
this solved it in about 2 minutes. Wasn't expecting to get anywhere
due to 64-bit (Vista) vs. 32-bit (XP) conflicts, but it worked.

--
k2theman
Michal Kawecki

Re: network printer help
"Eddie G" <egoldberg@amh.org> wrote in message
news:1174612215.330446.228500@b75g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> On Mar 14, 4:38 am, "Michal Kawecki" <kkwi...@o2.pl> wrote:
>>
>> Try this
>> solution:http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...D=924536&SiteI...

> Unfortunatly I cannot do that...the printer USB and power cables are
> behind a large computer desk against a wall and one cable goes to the
> right and the other to the left. Well, I CAN do it, but it would be a
> hassle.

Install drivers in Vista locally without physically connecting your
printer - as explained in the link above. Download XP driver, install it
in XP SP2 compatibility mode.

=============================
Connecting to a Shared Printer on Windows XP via Windows Vista

Problem:
Your Windows Vista PC cannot connect and print to a shared printer,
which is directly attached to a Windows XP PC, via your network.

Solution:
Unplug your USB cable from the back of the Windows XP PC and plug the
USB cable directly into your Windows Vista PC.
The Windows Vista drivers for your printer should be automatically
loaded and your printer will be installed on your Windows Vista PC. If
this was successful, skip right to step 3.
If step 2 is not successful
i. Download the Windows Vista printer driver for your printer from the
manufacturers website.
1. If your printer's manufacturer has not created a Vista driver
yet, retry step 2.
ii. Install the driver on your Windows Vista PC. During installation,
you'll be prompted to connect the printer to your PC. Choose the option
to proceed with installation without connecting the printer.
After installation is complete, open the Printers icon in the Windows
Vista Control Panel.
Right-click on your printer that was just installed and choose
Properties.
Navigate to the Ports tab.
Click Add Port, then select Local Port, then click New Port.
For the Port Name, enter the exact network path and share name of your
printer (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2)
Click OK and make sure that this new port is selected with a check in
the checkbox.
Click Apply and then OK to close the printer properties.
You should now be able to print from your Windows Vista PC to a shared
printer located on your Windows XP PC.
--
M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
/before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/