Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhd24=?=

Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition
I plan on making a purchase for an organization. My biggest question, and I'm
sure the same for others: Can you customize Vista Ultimate to have features
and functionality of the Business edition, or any other editions for that
matter?

Shawn
Jane C

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition
Ultimate has everything. Hence the name

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plan on making a purchase for an organization. My biggest question, and
>I'm
> sure the same for others: Can you customize Vista Ultimate to have
> features
> and functionality of the Business edition, or any other editions for that
> matter?
>
> Shawn

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhd24=?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition
What I meant Jane, and allow me to clarify; in previous versions of windows,
each version operated performancewize differently for their recommended
machines. Business edition for vista will operate better for most laptops
than ultimate, as ultimate takes up a lot of space in comparison.

Can Ultimate offer the same "performance" as Business in a laptop?

Hopefully this information will clarify my question.

Shawn

"Jane C" wrote:

> Ultimate has everything. Hence the name
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I plan on making a purchase for an organization. My biggest question, and
> >I'm
> > sure the same for others: Can you customize Vista Ultimate to have
> > features
> > and functionality of the Business edition, or any other editions for that
> > matter?
> >
> > Shawn

Lang Murphy

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition
Your questions are kind of confusing... why buy Ultimate if you want the
stripped down performance of Business? Why buy Business if you want the
multimedia features of Ultimate?

In terms of performance, I don't think Ultimate taking up "...a lot of
space..." is an issue, unless you're using 20GB hd's. The performance hit,
if any, will most likely come from having more services running in Ultimate,
which of course, could be pared down but then we're back to my original
question: why buy Ultimate if you want the pared down performance of
Business?

It might help to disclose the configuration of the laptops on which you want
to install Vista.

Lang

> What I meant Jane, and allow me to clarify; in previous versions of
> windows,
> each version operated performancewize differently for their recommended
> machines. Business edition for vista will operate better for most laptops
> than ultimate, as ultimate takes up a lot of space in comparison.
>
> Can Ultimate offer the same "performance" as Business in a laptop?
>
> Hopefully this information will clarify my question.
>
> Shawn
>
> "Jane C" wrote:
>
>> Ultimate has everything. Hence the name
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> "Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I plan on making a purchase for an organization. My biggest question,
>> >and
>> >I'm
>> > sure the same for others: Can you customize Vista Ultimate to have
>> > features
>> > and functionality of the Business edition, or any other editions for
>> > that
>> > matter?
>> >
>> > Shawn

Jeffrey Giampetro

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition
try Windows Vista Enterprise Edition that what you are looking for ultimate
is mainly for home user.

"Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plan on making a purchase for an organization. My biggest question, and
>I'm
> sure the same for others: Can you customize Vista Ultimate to have
> features
> and functionality of the Business edition, or any other editions for that
> matter?
>
> Shawn

Dustin Harper

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition
Yes, it's doable. You could make a reference install, use ImageX, and deploy
the image to the computers. You would only have what you want on there. You
can even have the whole thing automated with no prompts.

Look up deploying Windows Vista. There is a lot of information on it.
Although, if you are asking the question, it may be worthwhile to get a
consultant or an IT guy to take a look at your organizations requirements
and do the deployment for you. What does Ultimate offer you that Business
doesn't?

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plan on making a purchase for an organization. My biggest question, and
>I'm
> sure the same for others: Can you customize Vista Ultimate to have
> features
> and functionality of the Business edition, or any other editions for that
> matter?
>
> Shawn

Robert Moir

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Corporate Edition

"Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What I meant Jane, and allow me to clarify; in previous versions of
> windows,
> each version operated performancewize differently for their recommended
> machines. Business edition for vista will operate better for most laptops
> than ultimate, as ultimate takes up a lot of space in comparison.
>
> Can Ultimate offer the same "performance" as Business in a laptop?
>
> Hopefully this information will clarify my question.

It already does "perform" the same, but it has more duties to spread that
time and resources around if you are running ultimate.

I'm kinda with Lang Murphy on this one: If you want Vista Business then you
probably should just actually get Vista Business (or enterprise maybe)
instead of buying Ultimate and spending a lot of time and effort trying to
shave bits off of it.

With regards to space, I assume you mean disk space. The difference between
disk space used for Business and Ultimate is not going to really be
significant on a modern laptop with 60Gb or more of disk space.