SATA HDD

Clayton

SATA HDD
Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1 controllers?
I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD, the
memory checks out fine

NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
The system has halted

Or could it be the montherboard
DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset

Thanks

Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

Re: SATA HDD
Could be the motherboard, or the memory, or a bad expansion card. Probably
not the hard drives but you can't rule that out either since an NMI Parity
Check error is a hardware halt (not a Windows error) caused by bad data on
the system or memory bus.

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1 controllers?
> I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD,
> the memory checks out fine
>
> NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
> The system has halted
>
> Or could it be the montherboard
> DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset
>
> Thanks

Clayton

Re: SATA HDD
thanks
So is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1 controllers?

"Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Could be the motherboard, or the memory, or a bad expansion card.
> Probably not the hard drives but you can't rule that out either since an
> NMI Parity Check error is a hardware halt (not a Windows error) caused by
> bad data on the system or memory bus.
>
> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1 controllers?
>> I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD,
>> the memory checks out fine
>>
>> NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
>> The system has halted
>>
>> Or could it be the montherboard
>> DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset
>>
>> Thanks

Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

Re: SATA HDD
I don't see why not. The drives should be compatible with the original SATA
standard.

> thanks
> So is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1
> controllers?
>

> "Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Could be the motherboard, or the memory, or a bad expansion card.
>> Probably not the hard drives but you can't rule that out either since an
>> NMI Parity Check error is a hardware halt (not a Windows error) caused by
>> bad data on the system or memory bus.
>>
>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1
>>> controllers?
>>> I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD,
>>> the memory checks out fine
>>>
>>> NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
>>> The system has halted
>>>
>>> Or could it be the montherboard
>>> DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset
>>>
>>> Thanks

Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

Re: SATA HDD
I don't see why not. The drives should be compatible with the original SATA
standard.

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> thanks
> So is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1
> controllers?
>

> "Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Could be the motherboard, or the memory, or a bad expansion card.
>> Probably not the hard drives but you can't rule that out either since an
>> NMI Parity Check error is a hardware halt (not a Windows error) caused by
>> bad data on the system or memory bus.
>>
>> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1
>>> controllers?
>>> I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD,
>>> the memory checks out fine
>>>
>>> NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
>>> The system has halted
>>>
>>> Or could it be the montherboard
>>> DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset
>>>
>>> Thanks

David B.

Re: SATA HDD
What did you check the memory with?

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1 controllers?
> I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD,
> the memory checks out fine
>
> NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
> The system has halted
>
> Or could it be the montherboard
> DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?RlJVU1RSQVRFREFORFBJU1NFRA==?=

RE: SATA HDD
I have 2 SATA drives configured in RAID 0 BIOS recognizes drives but Vista 64
bit will not. I have a Gigabyte K8U-939MB. I searched all sites and even
purchased driver detective (what a waste of money) Anybody out there that can
point me to a driver, I searched, Gigabyte, ALi and Uli sites but can not
find a Vista driver anywhere. I can not believe Vista have such difficulty
with SATA drives

Thanks all
Henry

"Clayton" wrote:

> Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1 controllers?
> I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD, the
> memory checks out fine
>
> NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
> The system has halted
>
> Or could it be the montherboard
> DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset
>
> Thanks

Clayton

Re: SATA HDD
Memtest86 and the built in memory diagnostics in windows, I should really
test each module over night and then test them both at once, it gave me the
BSOD once before with different memory in the system

"David B." <brooks.dj@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What did you check the memory with?
>
> --
>
> ----
> How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.db-pc.com
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Is it ok to run a couple of 500GB SATA2 hard drives on SATA1 controllers?
>> I have had 2 blue screens on this machine and thought it maybe the HDD,
>> the memory checks out fine
>>
>> NMI: Parity check/memory parity error
>> The system has halted
>>
>> Or could it be the montherboard
>> DELL Dimension 8400 925X Chipset
>>
>> Thanks

Chris

Re: SATA HDD
Hi, some Sata2 drives require a jumper before using on sata1. Check with the
manufacturer...
ChrisC
"FRUSTRATEDANDPISSED" <FRUSTRATEDANDPISSED@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:2060342F-6478-4D5E-88D6-CA333A2A2E01@microsoft.com...