Quad core and Windows Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

Quad core and Windows Vista?
I recently built my first quad core system using the FX-70 4x4 technology.
However, when I look at my CPU usage using Quad Multimeter (Sidebar gadget) I
see that its only using 2 cores even when I max them out. Possibly only the 2
cpus and not utilizing the dual cores of each CPU. I looked at my device
manager and it sees 4 processors but it only seems to be using one core from
each of the 2 processors in my computer. Is Vista even quad-core capable? If
so, then how to I get vista to utilize all four of my cores?
Noozer

Re: Quad core and Windows Vista?

"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently built my first quad core system using the FX-70 4x4 technology.
> However, when I look at my CPU usage using Quad Multimeter (Sidebar
> gadget) I
> see that its only using 2 cores even when I max them out. Possibly only
> the 2
> cpus and not utilizing the dual cores of each CPU. I looked at my device
> manager and it sees 4 processors but it only seems to be using one core
> from
> each of the 2 processors in my computer. Is Vista even quad-core capable?
> If
> so, then how to I get vista to utilize all four of my cores?

Uhm...what version of Vista? Mainboard chipset drivers loaded? Any CPU
drivers available?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

Re: Quad core and Windows Vista?
Home Premium, Im using the Nvidia nforce 680a SLI drivers with updated
F-socket CPU drivers. Theres only one motherboard that supports dual
F-socket: L1N64-SLI WS by Asus.

"Noozer" wrote:

> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently built my first quad core system using the FX-70 4x4 technology.
> > However, when I look at my CPU usage using Quad Multimeter (Sidebar
> > gadget) I
> > see that its only using 2 cores even when I max them out. Possibly only
> > the 2
> > cpus and not utilizing the dual cores of each CPU. I looked at my device
> > manager and it sees 4 processors but it only seems to be using one core
> > from
> > each of the 2 processors in my computer. Is Vista even quad-core capable?
> > If
> > so, then how to I get vista to utilize all four of my cores?

> Uhm...what version of Vista? Mainboard chipset drivers loaded? Any CPU
> drivers available?

Jane C

Re: Quad core and Windows Vista?
Home Premium will only support one socket, ie one physical processor. To
take advantage of using 2 sockets you would need either Business or
Ultimate.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> Home Premium, Im using the Nvidia nforce 680a SLI drivers with updated
> F-socket CPU drivers. Theres only one motherboard that supports dual
> F-socket: L1N64-SLI WS by Asus.
>
> "Noozer" wrote:
>

>> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently built my first quad core system using the FX-70 4x4
>> >technology.
>> > However, when I look at my CPU usage using Quad Multimeter (Sidebar
>> > gadget) I
>> > see that its only using 2 cores even when I max them out. Possibly only
>> > the 2
>> > cpus and not utilizing the dual cores of each CPU. I looked at my
>> > device
>> > manager and it sees 4 processors but it only seems to be using one core
>> > from
>> > each of the 2 processors in my computer. Is Vista even quad-core
>> > capable?
>> > If
>> > so, then how to I get vista to utilize all four of my cores?

>> Uhm...what version of Vista? Mainboard chipset drivers loaded? Any CPU
>> drivers available?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

Re: Quad core and Windows Vista?
Ok thanks . *sigh* looks like I have to spend even more money now.

"Jane C" wrote:

> Home Premium will only support one socket, ie one physical processor. To
> take advantage of using 2 sockets you would need either Business or
> Ultimate.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Home Premium, Im using the Nvidia nforce 680a SLI drivers with updated
> > F-socket CPU drivers. Theres only one motherboard that supports dual
> > F-socket: L1N64-SLI WS by Asus.
> >
> > "Noozer" wrote:
> >

> >> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Uhm...what version of Vista? Mainboard chipset drivers loaded? Any CPU
> >> drivers available?

Nut Cracker

> Ok thanks . *sigh* looks like I have to spend even more money now.
>
> "Jane C" wrote:

But your quad-core socket-F processor should be a single CPU socket. Is that
in fact the chip you are using? I think the other post was talking about
multiple CPU sockets ... the ASUS one, which would not apply if you have a
true quad core. The fact that Vista see's 4 CPU's in device manager suggests
that its working properly. When you look at the Performance Tab in the Task
Manager, do you see 4 graphs? If yes, the simple answer is that the gadget
is flawed.

- NuTs

Tom Lake

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> The quad core chip is 4 processors on one physical processor chip.

Not with the AMD, it isn't. The FX-70 4x4 is two chips, each dual core
which
are tied together to form a quad-core processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/...ce_quad_cores/

Tom Lake

JW

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
> Home Premium will only support one socket, ie one physical processor. To
> take advantage of using 2 sockets you would need either Business or
> Ultimate.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Home Premium, Im using the Nvidia nforce 680a SLI drivers with updated
>> F-socket CPU drivers. Theres only one motherboard that supports dual
>> F-socket: L1N64-SLI WS by Asus.
>>
>> "Noozer" wrote:
>>

>>> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Uhm...what version of Vista? Mainboard chipset drivers loaded? Any CPU
>>> drivers available?

JW

QRe: Quad core and Windows Vista?
Regretfully I was not considering what AMD calls a Quad Core processor only
what Intel Quad Core Processorrs actually are.

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> The quad core chip is 4 processors on one physical processor chip.

> Not with the AMD, it isn't. The FX-70 4x4 is two chips, each dual core
> which
> are tied together to form a quad-core processor.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/...ce_quad_cores/
>
> Tom Lake

Tom Lake

> Regretfully I was not considering what AMD calls a Quad Core processor
> only what Intel Quad Core Processorrs actually are.

Yup, I agree. The term Quad Core shouldn't apply to the AMD product.

Tom Lake