Bluetooth keyboard & entering BIOS: solution?

=?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=

Bluetooth keyboard & entering BIOS: solution?
Hello All,

Having recently purchased the MS Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth, I have been
very disappointed by the inability to enter BIOS on booting and the inability
to choose which OS to boot into (I am set up to dual boot with both Windows
XP Pro and Vista Ultimate). I believed my keyboard would at least be
recognized as a USB keyboard before Windows booted and allow me to use the
keyboard with basic functionality. I was wrong.

Is there any solution for this Bluetooth drawback?

I have read about BlueICE, but I am unsure of how to obtain the
software/hardware, or if it is even currently available.

I read that the MS Elite Keyboard comes with an older Bluetooth dongle and
that Radio Shack has a newer one which will allow for my keyboard to be
recognized as a USB keyboard when booting my computer. Anyone know if this
is true?

I also read about someone how solved this problem by going into BIOS and
changing USB Keyboard Emulation from OS to BIOS. My BIOS does not seem to
have such an option.

Anyone know of a workaround other than keeping a wired keyboard handy?

By the way, in order to make keeping around a wired keyboard fun, I have
decided to keep the wired keyboard on the floor and develop my ability to
manipulate a keyboard with my toes. However, I would prefer to get rid of
the wired keyboard and keep my floor clear.

Thank you,
edsager

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

RE: Bluetooth keyboard & entering BIOS: solution?
Try enabling USB Legacy support in your BIOS.
For that operation you will need an additional keyboard.
I have a Wireless MS Keyboard/Mouse and that did the trick.
After that, I don't need any more an additional keyboard for entering BIOS
setup and/or choosing which OS to boot (boot menu).
Carlos

"edsager" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Having recently purchased the MS Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth, I have been
> very disappointed by the inability to enter BIOS on booting and the inability
> to choose which OS to boot into (I am set up to dual boot with both Windows
> XP Pro and Vista Ultimate). I believed my keyboard would at least be
> recognized as a USB keyboard before Windows booted and allow me to use the
> keyboard with basic functionality. I was wrong.
>
> Is there any solution for this Bluetooth drawback?
>
> I have read about BlueICE, but I am unsure of how to obtain the
> software/hardware, or if it is even currently available.
>
> I read that the MS Elite Keyboard comes with an older Bluetooth dongle and
> that Radio Shack has a newer one which will allow for my keyboard to be
> recognized as a USB keyboard when booting my computer. Anyone know if this
> is true?
>
> I also read about someone how solved this problem by going into BIOS and
> changing USB Keyboard Emulation from OS to BIOS. My BIOS does not seem to
> have such an option.
>
> Anyone know of a workaround other than keeping a wired keyboard handy?
>
> By the way, in order to make keeping around a wired keyboard fun, I have
> decided to keep the wired keyboard on the floor and develop my ability to
> manipulate a keyboard with my toes. However, I would prefer to get rid of
> the wired keyboard and keep my floor clear.
>
> Thank you,
> edsager

=?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=

RE: Bluetooth keyboard & entering BIOS: solution?
Dear Carlos:

Thank you for the idea, but that setting has already been applied. Did not
work for me.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
edsager

"Carlos" wrote:

> Try enabling USB Legacy support in your BIOS.
> For that operation you will need an additional keyboard.
> I have a Wireless MS Keyboard/Mouse and that did the trick.
> After that, I don't need any more an additional keyboard for entering BIOS
> setup and/or choosing which OS to boot (boot menu).
> Carlos
>
> "edsager" wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Having recently purchased the MS Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth, I have been
> > very disappointed by the inability to enter BIOS on booting and the inability
> > to choose which OS to boot into (I am set up to dual boot with both Windows
> > XP Pro and Vista Ultimate). I believed my keyboard would at least be
> > recognized as a USB keyboard before Windows booted and allow me to use the
> > keyboard with basic functionality. I was wrong.
> >
> > Is there any solution for this Bluetooth drawback?
> >
> > I have read about BlueICE, but I am unsure of how to obtain the
> > software/hardware, or if it is even currently available.
> >
> > I read that the MS Elite Keyboard comes with an older Bluetooth dongle and
> > that Radio Shack has a newer one which will allow for my keyboard to be
> > recognized as a USB keyboard when booting my computer. Anyone know if this
> > is true?
> >
> > I also read about someone how solved this problem by going into BIOS and
> > changing USB Keyboard Emulation from OS to BIOS. My BIOS does not seem to
> > have such an option.
> >
> > Anyone know of a workaround other than keeping a wired keyboard handy?
> >
> > By the way, in order to make keeping around a wired keyboard fun, I have
> > decided to keep the wired keyboard on the floor and develop my ability to
> > manipulate a keyboard with my toes. However, I would prefer to get rid of
> > the wired keyboard and keep my floor clear.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > edsager

=?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=

RE: Bluetooth keyboard & entering BIOS: solution?
A funny thing happened on the way to the Vista partition: I had not
installed the keyboard on Vista yet for some unknown reason. I had only
installed the keyboard on the XP partition. Once the keyboard was installed
on both partitions, it was available at POST and I am able to access the
BIOS, etc.

I guess I solved my own problem.

edsager

___________________________________
"edsager" wrote:

> Dear Carlos:
>
> Thank you for the idea, but that setting has already been applied. Did not
> work for me.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
> edsager
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Try enabling USB Legacy support in your BIOS.
> > For that operation you will need an additional keyboard.
> > I have a Wireless MS Keyboard/Mouse and that did the trick.
> > After that, I don't need any more an additional keyboard for entering BIOS
> > setup and/or choosing which OS to boot (boot menu).
> > Carlos
> >
> > "edsager" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > Having recently purchased the MS Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth, I have been
> > > very disappointed by the inability to enter BIOS on booting and the inability
> > > to choose which OS to boot into (I am set up to dual boot with both Windows
> > > XP Pro and Vista Ultimate). I believed my keyboard would at least be
> > > recognized as a USB keyboard before Windows booted and allow me to use the
> > > keyboard with basic functionality. I was wrong.
> > >
> > > Is there any solution for this Bluetooth drawback?
> > >
> > > I have read about BlueICE, but I am unsure of how to obtain the
> > > software/hardware, or if it is even currently available.
> > >
> > > I read that the MS Elite Keyboard comes with an older Bluetooth dongle and
> > > that Radio Shack has a newer one which will allow for my keyboard to be
> > > recognized as a USB keyboard when booting my computer. Anyone know if this
> > > is true?
> > >
> > > I also read about someone how solved this problem by going into BIOS and
> > > changing USB Keyboard Emulation from OS to BIOS. My BIOS does not seem to
> > > have such an option.
> > >
> > > Anyone know of a workaround other than keeping a wired keyboard handy?
> > >
> > > By the way, in order to make keeping around a wired keyboard fun, I have
> > > decided to keep the wired keyboard on the floor and develop my ability to
> > > manipulate a keyboard with my toes. However, I would prefer to get rid of
> > > the wired keyboard and keep my floor clear.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > edsager

vanilla

Re: Bluetooth keyboard & entering BIOS: solution?
Thanks, edsager ... I was watching this thread because I am interested in
Bluetooth ... very glad to hear how you figured it out and got it working
.... it is often the little things, no? When I go to implement, all this will
help me.

.... vanilla ...

-------------------

edsager said:

A funny thing happened on the way to the Vista partition: I had not
installed the keyboard on Vista yet for some unknown reason. I had only
installed the keyboard on the XP partition. Once the keyboard was installed
on both partitions, it was available at POST and I am able to access the
BIOS, etc.

I guess I solved my own problem.

edsager

HDFatBoy2003

Re: Bluetooth keyboard & entering BIOS: solution?
Glad it worked for you, I never could get my Logitech bt (Edge) keyboard to
be recognized during post. So I just left it un-bt'd (USB) instead.