Problems with xfx 8800 gtx and Vista!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?bWNfbmVz?=

Problems with xfx 8800 gtx and Vista!!!!
Hello, I am experiencing crashes in all the games that I own. I am running
a XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition, for a display adaptor, and using Windows Vista
Home Premium. Before I installed this video card, I was using a Nvidia 7300
LE. The previous card gave me no problems. Initially, I installed the 8800
GTX XXX on a computer using Windows XP/Media Center as an Operating System
and I encountered the same problem with game crashes. So I don't think this
problem. specific to Vista Home Premium.

When I decided to build a custom gaming/music producing rig I opted for
higher performance parts and decided to go with Vista Home Premium. I
installed the 8800 GTX XXX and all of my new hardware, plus an additional GB
of ram, for a total of 2 GB.

The problem is any game that I play, besides dungeon siege 2, will
eventually freeze up, during gameplay, the screen will go black for about two
minutes, and then a blue screen with the following error code results:

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000116 (0x9CBEBBA0, 0x8B6E29A0, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)

nvlddmkm.sys - Address 8B6E29A0 base at 8B6DE000, DataStamp 45e829......

Is there a patch or a hotfix that I have missed? I do have all the latest
drivers from Nvidia and from Asus, as far as bios is concerned. I have a
'ticket' with Xfxforce.com's Support Center for this issue and they are
working with me but I would appreciate the help and other angles. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?bWNfbmVz?=

RE: Problems with xfx 8800 gtx and Vista!!!!
Ooops, I forgot my specs..... here you go!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700(@ 2.66Ghz, 4MB L2 Cache,1066 FSB)
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
2GB RAM (x2 1Gig 566Mhz Dell Modules)
Western Digital 320Gig HDD
Western Digital 160Gig HDD
XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition
Sound Blaster X-fi Elite Pro
BFG 800W PSU (4)+12V/ 18A

"mc_nes" wrote:

> Hello, I am experiencing crashes in all the games that I own. I am running
> a XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition, for a display adaptor, and using Windows Vista
> Home Premium. Before I installed this video card, I was using a Nvidia 7300
> LE. The previous card gave me no problems. Initially, I installed the 8800
> GTX XXX on a computer using Windows XP/Media Center as an Operating System
> and I encountered the same problem with game crashes. So I don't think this
> problem. specific to Vista Home Premium.
>
> When I decided to build a custom gaming/music producing rig I opted for
> higher performance parts and decided to go with Vista Home Premium. I
> installed the 8800 GTX XXX and all of my new hardware, plus an additional GB
> of ram, for a total of 2 GB.
>
> The problem is any game that I play, besides dungeon siege 2, will
> eventually freeze up, during gameplay, the screen will go black for about two
> minutes, and then a blue screen with the following error code results:
>
> Technical Information:
>

> STOP: 0x00000116 (0x9CBEBBA0, 0x8B6E29A0, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)
>
> nvlddmkm.sys - Address 8B6E29A0 base at 8B6DE000, DataStamp 45e829......
>

> Is there a patch or a hotfix that I have missed? I do have all the latest
> drivers from Nvidia and from Asus, as far as bios is concerned. I have a
> 'ticket' with Xfxforce.com's Support Center for this issue and they are
> working with me but I would appreciate the help and other angles. Thank you.

pvdg42

"mc_nes" <mc_nes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am experiencing crashes in all the games that I own. I am
> running
> a XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition, for a display adaptor, and using Windows Vista
> Home Premium. Before I installed this video card, I was using a Nvidia
> 7300
> LE. The previous card gave me no problems. Initially, I installed the
> 8800
> GTX XXX on a computer using Windows XP/Media Center as an Operating System
> and I encountered the same problem with game crashes. So I don't think
> this
> problem. specific to Vista Home Premium.
>
> When I decided to build a custom gaming/music producing rig I opted for
> higher performance parts and decided to go with Vista Home Premium. I
> installed the 8800 GTX XXX and all of my new hardware, plus an additional
> GB
> of ram, for a total of 2 GB.
>
> The problem is any game that I play, besides dungeon siege 2, will
> eventually freeze up, during gameplay, the screen will go black for about
> two
> minutes, and then a blue screen with the following error code results:
>
> Technical Information:
>

> STOP: 0x00000116 (0x9CBEBBA0, 0x8B6E29A0, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)
>
> nvlddmkm.sys - Address 8B6E29A0 base at 8B6DE000, DataStamp 45e829......
>

> Is there a patch or a hotfix that I have missed? I do have all the latest
> drivers from Nvidia and from Asus, as far as bios is concerned. I have a
> 'ticket' with Xfxforce.com's Support Center for this issue and they are
> working with me but I would appreciate the help and other angles. Thank
> you.

Have you checked in/posted in the NVIDIA forums? As you said, the problem is
not Vista-unique, and the NVIDIA forums are a good place to look for
hardware/driver issues and solutions.

http://forums.nvidia.com/

Steve Jain

Re: Problems with xfx 8800 gtx and Vista!!!!
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:52:03 -0700, mc_nes
<mc_nes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, I am experiencing crashes in all the games that I own. I am running
>a XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition, for a display adaptor, and using Windows Vista
>Home Premium. Before I installed this video card, I was using a Nvidia 7300
>LE. The previous card gave me no problems. Initially, I installed the 8800
>GTX XXX on a computer using Windows XP/Media Center as an Operating System
>and I encountered the same problem with game crashes. So I don't think this
>problem. specific to Vista Home Premium.
>
>When I decided to build a custom gaming/music producing rig I opted for
>higher performance parts and decided to go with Vista Home Premium. I
>installed the 8800 GTX XXX and all of my new hardware, plus an additional GB
>of ram, for a total of 2 GB.
>
>The problem is any game that I play, besides dungeon siege 2, will
>eventually freeze up, during gameplay, the screen will go black for about two
>minutes, and then a blue screen with the following error code results:
>
>Technical Information:
>

>STOP: 0x00000116 (0x9CBEBBA0, 0x8B6E29A0, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)
>
>nvlddmkm.sys - Address 8B6E29A0 base at 8B6DE000, DataStamp 45e829......
>

>Is there a patch or a hotfix that I have missed? I do have all the latest
>drivers from Nvidia and from Asus, as far as bios is concerned. I have a
>'ticket' with Xfxforce.com's Support Center for this issue and they are
>working with me but I would appreciate the help and other angles. Thank you.

Have you updated to the latest nVidia Beta drivers, 101.41? They
solve a lot of problems.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
=?Utf-8?B?Umlr?=

Re: Problems with xfx 8800 gtx and Vista!!!!
I have had similar problems with xfx geforce 6800 XT, in XP MCE 2005. The
games i play freeze but do eventually recover for a few seconds before
freezing again. Also the MCE live tv does exactly the same. The only thing i
can find to recover the tv is to restart and for it to be the only program to
run from startup, and it lasts ten minutes before it starts to freeze again.

"Steve Jain" wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:52:03 -0700, mc_nes
> <mc_nes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello, I am experiencing crashes in all the games that I own. I am running
> >a XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition, for a display adaptor, and using Windows Vista
> >Home Premium. Before I installed this video card, I was using a Nvidia 7300
> >LE. The previous card gave me no problems. Initially, I installed the 8800
> >GTX XXX on a computer using Windows XP/Media Center as an Operating System
> >and I encountered the same problem with game crashes. So I don't think this
> >problem. specific to Vista Home Premium.
> >
> >When I decided to build a custom gaming/music producing rig I opted for
> >higher performance parts and decided to go with Vista Home Premium. I
> >installed the 8800 GTX XXX and all of my new hardware, plus an additional GB
> >of ram, for a total of 2 GB.
> >
> >The problem is any game that I play, besides dungeon siege 2, will
> >eventually freeze up, during gameplay, the screen will go black for about two
> >minutes, and then a blue screen with the following error code results:
> >
> >Technical Information:
> >

> >STOP: 0x00000116 (0x9CBEBBA0, 0x8B6E29A0, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)
> >
> >nvlddmkm.sys - Address 8B6E29A0 base at 8B6DE000, DataStamp 45e829......
> >

> >Is there a patch or a hotfix that I have missed? I do have all the latest
> >drivers from Nvidia and from Asus, as far as bios is concerned. I have a
> >'ticket' with Xfxforce.com's Support Center for this issue and they are
> >working with me but I would appreciate the help and other angles. Thank you.
> >

> Have you updated to the latest nVidia Beta drivers, 101.41? They
> solve a lot of problems.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
> http://vpc.essjae.com/

CrimLiar

> Ooops, I forgot my specs..... here you go!
>

> Intel Core 2 Duo E6700(@ 2.66Ghz, 4MB L2 Cache,1066 FSB)
> Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
> 2GB RAM (x2 1Gig 566Mhz Dell Modules)
> Western Digital 320Gig HDD
> Western Digital 160Gig HDD
> XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition
> Sound Blaster X-fi Elite Pro
> BFG 800W PSU (4)+12V/ 18A

I have an almost identical system here:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700(@ 2.66Ghz, 4MB L2 Cache,1066 FSB)
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
4GB RAM (x4 1Gig 800Mhz OCZ Modules)
4x Seagate 500G HDDs (1+0 Array)
2x BFG 8800 GTX
Sound Blaster X-fi Elite Pro
BFG 1000W PSU
**All fitted in a Thermaltake VA8003BWS Armour Super Tower case (the one
with the 25CM!!! fan on the side, and a second drive bay 10cm fitted).

The video cards on my rig can tend to get very hot, I'm wondering if the
case you are using (what case are you using) is up to the job of keeping the
overclocked XFX cards properly chilled. If you can get the (some what
buggy) nTune utility to run, what sort of temperatures is it reporting?

Crimliar

AlKolkin

Re: Problems with xfx 8800 gtx and Vista!!!!
Various websites and a potential law suit talk about the problem of using the
8800 Series with Vista. When running DreamScene, DirectX 10.0 demos, and
video DVD's, a message pops up saying that Nvlddmkm.dll or nvlddmkm.sys has
lost connectivity and has been recovered. In some cases the computer has to
be rebooted and the offending programs not run again. In some cases, there
is a BSOD or other error messages.

Many solutions, including driver updates and elimination of older versions
of the drivers have been suggested. None of them work.

Well, for me the problem appears fixed; I simply turned off UAC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything has been running fine for an hour, which is a record.

My setup is as follows:

* Hardware and software firewall, antispyware, and anti virus software
* Asus Striker Extreme
* PNY 8800 GTX -- Driver version 7.15.11.5818 (158.15)
* 2 GB Corsair Dominator memory
* OC the CPU to 3.00 MHz
* Two Raptor RAID 0 drives
* External RAID 5 backup
* Creative X-Fi gamer

I really hope that this post helps people.