Optical Drive and iTunes

=?Utf-8?B?aVR1bmVzbGlrZXI=?=

Optical Drive and iTunes
Please help!!! I have a new Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Premium, 1.5
gigs memory, etc. When I load iTunes, Vista takes aware my DVD drive. If I
return the system to a previous point prior to itunes, everything is back to
normal. It appears that Microsoft is messing with my system because they
don't like Apple. What is the solution for this short of another antitrust
suit?

Please help!!!!!
Paul Smith

Re: Optical Drive and iTunes
"iTunesliker" <iTunesliker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help!!! I have a new Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Premium,
> 1.5
> gigs memory, etc. When I load iTunes, Vista takes aware my DVD drive. If
> return the system to a previous point prior to itunes, everything is back
> normal. It appears that Microsoft is messing with my system because they
> don't like Apple.

Seems to me more like iTunes breaking your system. Microsoft like Apple, if
Microsoft didn't like Apple they wouldn't support their platform with
products like Office etc. Nor would they of invested so much money into
them.

> What is the solution for this short of another antitrust
> suit?

Contact Apple support, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes, or
have a look over there forums to see if anybody has any similar issues.

http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=150

There have been a few reports of incompatibilities, which Apple will fix in
an upcoming version.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Robert Moir

Re: Optical Drive and iTunes

"iTunesliker" <iTunesliker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help!!! I have a new Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Premium,
> 1.5
> gigs memory, etc. When I load iTunes, Vista takes aware my DVD drive. If
> return the system to a previous point prior to itunes, everything is back
> normal. It appears that Microsoft is messing with my system because they
> don't like Apple. What is the solution for this short of another
> antitrust
> suit?

As much as I like Apple and I don't like Vista very much, I've got news for
you.

iTunes does not work properly in Windows Vista because Apple have not yet
got their finger out of their collective backside and released a version of
*any* of their software which works correctly on Windows Vista.

If you go to the itunes homepage, see where it lists Vista under the list of
operating systems itunes works properly with? You *can't*? Is there a clue
to the origin of your problem in there somewhere maybe?

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5OTIzMjM=?=

Re: Optical Drive and iTunes
iTunesliker,

The exact same thing has been happening to me. I've actually been looking
all over the place for someone with a similiar problem. I have a brand new
gateway laptop with windows vista ultimate and everything works fine except
for when i load itunes. The actual program (the latest release, ver 7.1)
works fine and my optical drive is there initially, but when i restart my
computer the optical drive is missing from "my computer" and there is a
yellow exclamation point in the device manager telling me that windows could
not start the device. Once i uninstall itunes it comes back and works fine
again. So obviously this is a problem with itunes...and a very annoying one
at that because i have an ipod and i want to load my songs and use itunes on
my new computer, but for now it appears i'm going to still have to use my old
laptop for that, which really bites. If anyone nows anything else about this
or how to fix it i'd really appreciate knowing. If you find anything out
itunesliker please let me know.

Paul Smith

Re: Optical Drive and iTunes
"Jay92323" <Jay92323@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The exact same thing has been happening to me. I've actually been looking
> all over the place for someone with a similiar problem. I have a brand new
> gateway laptop with windows vista ultimate and everything works fine
> except
> for when i load itunes. The actual program (the latest release, ver 7.1)
> works fine and my optical drive is there initially, but when i restart my
> computer the optical drive is missing from "my computer" and there is a
> yellow exclamation point in the device manager telling me that windows
> could
> not start the device. Once i uninstall itunes it comes back and works fine
> again. So obviously this is a problem with itunes...and a very annoying
> one
> at that because i have an ipod and i want to load my songs and use itunes
> on
> my new computer, but for now it appears i'm going to still have to use my
> old
> laptop for that, which really bites. If anyone nows anything else about
> this
> or how to fix it i'd really appreciate knowing. If you find anything out
> itunesliker please let me know.

What error code does the Device Manager give for not being able to start the
device?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5OTIzMjM=?=

Re: Optical Drive and iTunes
It's code 10 - this device cannot start

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "Jay92323" <Jay92323@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > The exact same thing has been happening to me. I've actually been looking
> > all over the place for someone with a similiar problem. I have a brand new
> > gateway laptop with windows vista ultimate and everything works fine
> > except
> > for when i load itunes. The actual program (the latest release, ver 7.1)
> > works fine and my optical drive is there initially, but when i restart my
> > computer the optical drive is missing from "my computer" and there is a
> > yellow exclamation point in the device manager telling me that windows
> > could
> > not start the device. Once i uninstall itunes it comes back and works fine
> > again. So obviously this is a problem with itunes...and a very annoying
> > one
> > at that because i have an ipod and i want to load my songs and use itunes
> > on
> > my new computer, but for now it appears i'm going to still have to use my
> > old
> > laptop for that, which really bites. If anyone nows anything else about
> > this
> > or how to fix it i'd really appreciate knowing. If you find anything out
> > itunesliker please let me know.

> What error code does the Device Manager give for not being able to start the
> device?
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Larry

RE: Optical Drive and iTunes
Yep, I have this problem too. Install Itunes and the DVD drive will no
longer work. Restore Itunes and it works perfectly. This is really
pathetic. I don't care whose fault it is, Microsoft or Apple.