Not enough resources

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyB0aGUgR3JleQ==?=

Not enough resources
Hello.

I've built a new computer and installed Vista home Premium on it and pretty
much everything is running fine, with one exception. My new sound card, a
Sound Blaster Audigy SE will not function. I have the following information
under the properties:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
devices on this system.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available.

The resource tab has nothing on it. Under older versions of Windows, you
could see what resource conflicted with something else, but not here, and
there appears no way to change it if you could see them.

So how do I determine what resources are conflicting, and how do I manually
set the ones that are, so that the device works?

The card is Vista compatible, and actually worked for a short time, while I
was trying to get the old video card (Radeon 9600 Pro) to work. After one of
the driver installation attempts, it simply stopped with this message. I
have since removed the drivers (although they still show up under programs &
features) as well as the card, having replaced it with an NVidia card.

I have removed the card completely and rebooted several times before
re-installing it, but so far no joy. In the meantime, I've turned the
on-board sound card back on.

Any ideas on how I correct this problem? I really doubt there is actually
NO resources available for the sound card, and would really like to take
advantage of it, instead of using the on-board sound.

Eric the Grey
=?Utf-8?B?YXVzNzM=?=

RE: Not enough resources

"Eric the Grey" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've built a new computer and installed Vista home Premium on it and pretty
> much everything is running fine, with one exception. My new sound card, a
> Sound Blaster Audigy SE will not function. I have the following information
> under the properties:
>
> ================================================== ===
> This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
>
> If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
> devices on this system.
>
> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
> to see if there is a solution available.
> ================================================== ===
>
> The resource tab has nothing on it. Under older versions of Windows, you
> could see what resource conflicted with something else, but not here, and
> there appears no way to change it if you could see them.
>
> So how do I determine what resources are conflicting, and how do I manually
> set the ones that are, so that the device works?
>
> The card is Vista compatible, and actually worked for a short time, while I
> was trying to get the old video card (Radeon 9600 Pro) to work. After one of
> the driver installation attempts, it simply stopped with this message. I
> have since removed the drivers (although they still show up under programs &
> features) as well as the card, having replaced it with an NVidia card.
>
> I have removed the card completely and rebooted several times before
> re-installing it, but so far no joy. In the meantime, I've turned the
> on-board sound card back on.
>
> Any ideas on how I correct this problem? I really doubt there is actually
> NO resources available for the sound card, and would really like to take
> advantage of it, instead of using the on-board sound.
>

> Eric the Grey

If anybody has any answers, I'd like to know, too. I get the same error
with my NIC even though I downloaded the Vista compatible driver before
installing the OS and updated once it was finished.
Martin Stein

Re: Not enough resources
I had the same problem with the graphics card - a 8800GTS - and solved it by
removing a PCI card that I could live without.

"aus73" <aus73@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've built a new computer and installed Vista home Premium on it and
>> pretty
>> much everything is running fine, with one exception. My new sound card,
>> Sound Blaster Audigy SE will not function. I have the following
>> information
>> under the properties:
>>
>> ================================================== ===
>> This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
>>
>> If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
>> devices on this system.
>>
>> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
>> and
>> to see if there is a solution available.
>> ================================================== ===

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyB0aGUgR3JleQ==?=

Re: Not enough resources
Unfortunately, that won't help me. This is the only PCI card in the box, and
the only other add-in card is my AGP video card.

I have done some more digging on this and found that the problem is with the
I/O resources the card is looking for.

Going into the Hardware Manager in Safe Mode, I can see what resources it is
looking for, and compare it to what is being used by other devices. There is
nothing else on my system claiming the same I/O range.

The I/O Range the card is trying to use is 10000-1FFFF, but there is no way
to manually change it. It used to be possible under Win9x with some devices.

I've also got a ticket in with Creative. We'll see what else might happen.

Eric the Grey

"Martin Stein" wrote:

> I had the same problem with the graphics card - a 8800GTS - and solved it by
> removing a PCI card that I could live without.
>

> "aus73" <aus73@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I've built a new computer and installed Vista home Premium on it and
> >> pretty
> >> much everything is running fine, with one exception. My new sound card,
> >> Sound Blaster Audigy SE will not function. I have the following
> >> information
> >> under the properties:
> >>
> >> ================================================== ===
> >> This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
> >>
> >> If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
> >> devices on this system.
> >>
> >> Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
> >> and
> >> to see if there is a solution available.

JW

Re: Not enough resources
It certainly sounds like you might have the the PCI card located in the slot
next to the AGP card. And with many MOBOS this causes a conflict since they
are in effect sharing the same PCI slot. So the first thing you should do
is move the PCI card as far away from the AGP card as possible.