No sound in Vista on a Macbook Pro

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtbXk=?=

No sound in Vista on a Macbook Pro
I'm using a Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz macbook pro and I recently upgraded my XP
installation to Vista Business. Seemed like I have similar problems as most
people, but the suggested solutions dont work. The biggest problem is that
i've got no sound. On first launch Vista device manager told me my audio
driver was signmatel with no problems (ie the device is working properly) yet
my system tray icon said sound device not recognized. I spent like 4 hrs
rummaging around the internet for a solution, and finally found a post on
InsanelyMac.com with a link to a set of drivers from
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri......ms&lang=eng . After installing
those my system tray icon shows audio device recognition, but device manager
shows problems. Initially there was a single entry in device manager under
'Sound, video and game controllers', but now there are three with all of them
labelled SigmaTelHigh Definition Audio CODEC; the first one shows no
problems, but the rest show the yellow !. I tried right clicking and Updating
driver, but windows tells me that the drivers are already installed.

Bottomline, even though system tray icon provides volume control and shows
driver recognition, i have no sound on my Macbook pro. If someone can help me
figure out a solution, it'd be much appreciated.

Also my iSight and bluetooth doesnt work, if by chance you have any idea as
to how to get them to work, please post.

TIA
Sammy
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: No sound in Vista on a Macbook Pro
Check the Sigmatel website to see if they have updated drivers. I'm not
sure why your bluetooth stack hasn't installed.... again, you may need to
find out the manufacturer. Sorry, I have no idea what iSight is.... perhaps
a webcam? (I need to be MacTrained!!!!! If I could afford one, believe me,
I'd get one tomorrow just for fun)
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Sammy" <Sammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using a Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz macbook pro and I recently upgraded my XP
> installation to Vista Business. Seemed like I have similar problems as
> most
> people, but the suggested solutions dont work. The biggest problem is that
> i've got no sound. On first launch Vista device manager told me my audio
> driver was signmatel with no problems (ie the device is working properly)
> yet
> my system tray icon said sound device not recognized. I spent like 4 hrs
> rummaging around the internet for a solution, and finally found a post on
> InsanelyMac.com with a link to a set of drivers from
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri......ms&lang=eng . After
> installing
> those my system tray icon shows audio device recognition, but device
> manager
> shows problems. Initially there was a single entry in device manager under
> 'Sound, video and game controllers', but now there are three with all of
> them
> labelled SigmaTelHigh Definition Audio CODEC; the first one shows no
> problems, but the rest show the yellow !. I tried right clicking and
> Updating
> driver, but windows tells me that the drivers are already installed.
>
> Bottomline, even though system tray icon provides volume control and shows
> driver recognition, i have no sound on my Macbook pro. If someone can help
> me
> figure out a solution, it'd be much appreciated.
>
> Also my iSight and bluetooth doesnt work, if by chance you have any idea
> as
> to how to get them to work, please post.
>
> TIA
> Sammy

Robert Moir

Re: No sound in Vista on a Macbook Pro

"Sammy" <Sammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Bottomline, even though system tray icon provides volume control and shows
> driver recognition, i have no sound on my Macbook pro. If someone can help
> me
> figure out a solution, it'd be much appreciated.
>
> Also my iSight and bluetooth doesnt work, if by chance you have any idea
> as
> to how to get them to work, please post.

Long story short, you're waiting for Apple on the bottom two, I'm afraid.

Drivers for sound is a bit of an odd one - it seems that some people find
they work OK and others are struggling. One thing that may help is a trip to
the intel website to grab updated motherboard drivers (i believe the apple
uses a 945 chipset?). I'm pretty sure I have sound on my macbook (non-pro)
at work. I'll try and check it out tomorrow if I can.

davidpope

Re: No sound in Vista on a Macbook Pro

I just upgraded Vista Home Premium to Ultimate on my new MBP and was
stumped by your problem: no sound device recognised. Then I read your
post and the replies and followed the advice to go to Sigmatel's site
to look for updated drivers.There I was told that this is a known bug
and the simple solution was to uninstall the Sigmatel device completely
(using uninstall program) and then reinstall the driver, which I did
simply by running the Boot Camp (version 1.2) drivers disc. Lo, I have
fully working sound in Vista Ultimate!

I hope this helps you and others, if you have not already found the
solution.

--
davidpope