USB drives

Todd Hudson

USB drives
Everytime I place a USB drive on my computer (new computer, Vista Ultimate
RTM), it asks for a driver, goes searching and then cant find it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Jono

RE: USB drives
Im getting the EXACT same issue...i need help pleaseeee

"Todd Hudson" wrote:

> Everytime I place a USB drive on my computer (new computer, Vista Ultimate
> RTM), it asks for a driver, goes searching and then cant find it.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Raymond Lang

RE: USB drives
In as much as I've had the same problems since Vista was released, I've seen
little (if any) support from Microsoft on this. What I do know is that if
you have over 2gb of memory in your system, Vista (32 and 64 both) will fail
to recognize USB drives, media players and software security devices
repeatedly. The only way to get them to be recognized is to cripple USB from
2.0 down to 1.1 on the system board level, and degrade the performance
completely. I brought this issue up months ago, with no response from
Microsoft on how to get it fixed or anything.

So if you have more than 2gb of memory, you're pretty much out of luck.

-Raymond Lang

> Im getting the EXACT same issue...i need help pleaseeee
>
> "Todd Hudson" wrote:
>
> > Everytime I place a USB drive on my computer (new computer, Vista Ultimate
> > RTM), it asks for a driver, goes searching and then cant find it.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Cal Bear '66

Re: USB drives
I have 4GB memory -- no problems with USB here -- hard drives, DVD reader, DVD
writer, CD writer, TV adapter, webcam... Vista Ultimate x86 and Vista Business
x64

"Raymond Lang" <RaymondLang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In as much as I've had the same problems since Vista was released, I've seen
> little (if any) support from Microsoft on this. What I do know is that if
> you have over 2gb of memory in your system, Vista (32 and 64 both) will fail
> to recognize USB drives, media players and software security devices
> repeatedly. The only way to get them to be recognized is to cripple USB from
> 2.0 down to 1.1 on the system board level, and degrade the performance
> completely. I brought this issue up months ago, with no response from
> Microsoft on how to get it fixed or anything.
>
> So if you have more than 2gb of memory, you're pretty much out of luck.
>
> -Raymond Lang
>
>> Im getting the EXACT same issue...i need help pleaseeee
>>
>> "Todd Hudson" wrote:
>>
>> > Everytime I place a USB drive on my computer (new computer, Vista Ultimate
>> > RTM), it asks for a driver, goes searching and then cant find it.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Jono

RE: USB drives
Yeah im sorry but im not gonna just take 'your pretty much out of luck'
that’s the biggest load of lies I’ve ever heard. What has memory 2 GB of
memory (which I do have) got to do with the usb drivers? Nothing. Why is it
that it’s been working fine for 2 weeks and then it just starts and stops?

Its probably just a random bug that needs to be fixed. I’ve looked on all
other forums and people have stated a similar issue, stating it could be a
conflict from new Nvidia drivers. And how do you suppose i just ‘cripple’ my
system? Open up my laptop case voiding my warranty and down clocking my cpu?
Get a clue. I came here for solutions, not to be treated as a joke.
You just want people to cripple there system to have a good laugh, you’re a
fraud.

"Raymond Lang" wrote:

> In as much as I've had the same problems since Vista was released, I've seen
> little (if any) support from Microsoft on this. What I do know is that if
> you have over 2gb of memory in your system, Vista (32 and 64 both) will fail
> to recognize USB drives, media players and software security devices
> repeatedly. The only way to get them to be recognized is to cripple USB from
> 2.0 down to 1.1 on the system board level, and degrade the performance
> completely. I brought this issue up months ago, with no response from
> Microsoft on how to get it fixed or anything.
>
> So if you have more than 2gb of memory, you're pretty much out of luck.
>
> -Raymond Lang
>
> > Im getting the EXACT same issue...i need help pleaseeee
> >
> > "Todd Hudson" wrote:
> >
> > > Everytime I place a USB drive on my computer (new computer, Vista Ultimate
> > > RTM), it asks for a driver, goes searching and then cant find it.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Hank

Re: USB drives
I am having a similar issue. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300, and I cannot get
it to recognize my Canon S60 digital camera, the built-in SD card reader, or
any of the external USB hard drives I own. Vista keeps asking for drivers.
These are items that DO NOT NEED DRIVERS. The system has drivers for
everything except my bluetooth card (built-in). The system has 2GB of RAM
(maxed out).

"Jono" <Jono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yeah im sorry but im not gonna just take 'your pretty much out of luck'
> that’s the biggest load of lies I’ve ever heard. What has memory 2 GB of
> memory (which I do have) got to do with the usb drivers? Nothing. Why is
> it
> that it’s been working fine for 2 weeks and then it just starts and stops?
>
> Its probably just a random bug that needs to be fixed. I’ve looked on all
> other forums and people have stated a similar issue, stating it could be a
> conflict from new Nvidia drivers. And how do you suppose i just ‘cripple’
> my
> system? Open up my laptop case voiding my warranty and down clocking my
> cpu?
> Get a clue. I came here for solutions, not to be treated as a joke.
> You just want people to cripple there system to have a good laugh, you’re
> fraud.
>

> "Raymond Lang" wrote:
>
>> In as much as I've had the same problems since Vista was released, I've
>> seen
>> little (if any) support from Microsoft on this. What I do know is that
>> if
>> you have over 2gb of memory in your system, Vista (32 and 64 both) will
>> fail
>> to recognize USB drives, media players and software security devices
>> repeatedly. The only way to get them to be recognized is to cripple USB
>> from
>> 2.0 down to 1.1 on the system board level, and degrade the performance
>> completely. I brought this issue up months ago, with no response from
>> Microsoft on how to get it fixed or anything.
>>
>> So if you have more than 2gb of memory, you're pretty much out of luck.
>>
>> -Raymond Lang
>>
>> > Im getting the EXACT same issue...i need help pleaseeee

Don

Re: USB drives
Hank wrote:

> The system can;t find a driver for the USB controllers that had
> previously been installed...

Your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is corrupted and should be deleted.
You will need to edit its file permissions to grant Full Control to
the Users group before you will be permitted to delete it.

Hank

Re: USB drives
OK, a little bit of clarification is due here.

Before I upgraded my XP system to Vista, I tested Vista on my system. I
pulled that old drive out, and everything that DOESN'T work in the upgrade
install, DOES work in the fresh install.

The SD reader works, the USB detects without a problem. So I uninstalled
the SD reader, and the USB hubs and controllers from the device manager in
the upgraded system. Guess what happens now?

The system can;t find a driver for the USB controllers that had previously
been installed. The system still can;t install the SD card reader, either.
I would very much like to avoid having to do a full system backup, and then
a wipe and clean install. I cannot possibly be the only person with this
issue.