What do i do?? New Processor or more RAM?!!

=?Utf-8?B?TUNfR2FuZ3N0YQ==?=

What do i do?? New Processor or more RAM?!!
hi, i recently upgraded to windows vista ultimate but i have a problem.
I only have 512 mb of ram and i am running on a intel pentium 4 (2.66)GHz.
So far i love all the brand new features in Vista, however some programs keep
on freezing then continuing to work. I know that i have a hardware issue and
need to upgrade. The question is that if i buy more RAM will this solve my
problem or do i also need to upgrade to a Dual Core processor, bare in mind
that if i upgrade to a Dual Core i have to buy a new Motherboard that will
support it..

plz get back to me when possible!!!!!

Richard Urban

Re: What do i do?? New Processor or more RAM?!!
Upgrading your RAM is the least expensive of your options. Depending upon
how you use your computer to at least 1 gig - maybe 2 gig. If the computer
doesn't use at least PC3200 (DRR RAM at 400 mhz) I would also upgrade the
M/B and processor.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"MC_Gangsta" <MC_Gangsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, i recently upgraded to windows vista ultimate but i have a problem.
> I only have 512 mb of ram and i am running on a intel pentium 4 (2.66)GHz.
> So far i love all the brand new features in Vista, however some programs
> keep
> on freezing then continuing to work. I know that i have a hardware issue
> and
> need to upgrade. The question is that if i buy more RAM will this solve my
> problem or do i also need to upgrade to a Dual Core processor, bare in
> mind
> that if i upgrade to a Dual Core i have to buy a new Motherboard that will
> support it..
>
> plz get back to me when possible!!!!!

Robert Moir

Re: What do i do?? New Processor or more RAM?!!

"MC_Gangsta" <MC_Gangsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, i recently upgraded to windows vista ultimate but i have a problem.
> I only have 512 mb of ram and i am running on a intel pentium 4 (2.66)GHz.
> So far i love all the brand new features in Vista, however some programs
> keep
> on freezing then continuing to work. I know that i have a hardware issue
> and
> need to upgrade. The question is that if i buy more RAM will this solve my
> problem or do i also need to upgrade to a Dual Core processor, bare in
> mind
> that if i upgrade to a Dual Core i have to buy a new Motherboard that will
> support it..

To be honest, where you are at right now, I'd suggest both would need
improving in order to get the best out of Vista Ultimate. I would certainly
make RAM the first thing I took care of in your position though.

If you'd need a new motherboard for a new processor then you might need new
RAM at the same time. If that's the case and given that your system must be
about 2 years old, maybe slightly older, for that spec, you may find that
RAM purchased for your current system wouldn't work with a new motherboard /
dual core processor combo.... In which case you need to think carefully
whether or not it's really worth spending much on the current system.

Paul Smith

Re: What do i do?? New Processor or more RAM?!!
"MC_Gangsta" <MC_Gangsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, i recently upgraded to windows vista ultimate but i have a problem.
> I only have 512 mb of ram and i am running on a intel pentium 4 (2.66)GHz.
> So far i love all the brand new features in Vista, however some programs
> keep
> on freezing then continuing to work. I know that i have a hardware issue
> and
> need to upgrade. The question is that if i buy more RAM will this solve my
> problem or do i also need to upgrade to a Dual Core processor, bare in
> mind
> that if i upgrade to a Dual Core i have to buy a new Motherboard that will
> support it..

Increasing your RAM will make a big difference in performance.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Puppy Breath

Re: What do i do?? New Processor or more RAM?!!
Your processor is OK, but half a gig of RAM is light for Vista. Go for 1GB
or more.

There's no guarantee that more RAM (or a new processor) will fix the
"freezing" problem. Other issues can cause that.

"MC_Gangsta" <MC_Gangsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, i recently upgraded to windows vista ultimate but i have a problem.
> I only have 512 mb of ram and i am running on a intel pentium 4 (2.66)GHz.
> So far i love all the brand new features in Vista, however some programs
> keep
> on freezing then continuing to work. I know that i have a hardware issue
> and
> need to upgrade. The question is that if i buy more RAM will this solve my
> problem or do i also need to upgrade to a Dual Core processor, bare in
> mind
> that if i upgrade to a Dual Core i have to buy a new Motherboard that will
> support it..
>
> plz get back to me when possible!!!!!

Squibbly

Re: What do i do?? New Processor or more RAM?!!
more ram, ultimate isnt suppose to run on 512mb of ram, you need at least
1gb to run it, but 2gb is highly recommended