RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User

=?Utf-8?B?VXNlZExhcHRvcEd1eQ==?=

RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User
I just installed Vista Home Premium on a Dell 1800SC which has an on board
ATI Radeon 9250 video controller. I know the controller will not support
Aero and gaming but that's OK by me. However, when I select "Switch User" I
get a BSOD every time. After the system recovers I get a message telling me
that the problem was caused by the video driver.

I've installed all of the latest updates.

Anybody else seen this?
Aethyr Dragon

RE: RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User
I'm getting the same problem - if there's a solution I'd also appreciate it.

"UsedLaptopGuy" wrote:

> I just installed Vista Home Premium on a Dell 1800SC which has an on board
> ATI Radeon 9250 video controller. I know the controller will not support
> Aero and gaming but that's OK by me. However, when I select "Switch User" I
> get a BSOD every time. After the system recovers I get a message telling me
> that the problem was caused by the video driver.
>
> I've installed all of the latest updates.
>
> Anybody else seen this?

JW

Re: RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User
The 9250 does not meet the Vista hardware requirements and ATI is not
supplying a Vista driver for it.
"Aethyr Dragon" <Aethyr Dragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting the same problem - if there's a solution I'd also appreciate
> it.
>
> "UsedLaptopGuy" wrote:
>
>> I just installed Vista Home Premium on a Dell 1800SC which has an on
>> board
>> ATI Radeon 9250 video controller. I know the controller will not support
>> Aero and gaming but that's OK by me. However, when I select "Switch
>> User" I
>> get a BSOD every time. After the system recovers I get a message telling
>> me
>> that the problem was caused by the video driver.
>>
>> I've installed all of the latest updates.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this?

UsedLaptopGuy

Re: RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User
Sorry JW, that's a silly response. I understand the 9250 does not meet the
published Vista minimums yet drivers are shipped with the system. Microsoft
either needs to supply drivers that work or do not include any drivers for
the 9250 at all. To include half-baked drivers on the install disk and then
say "well, that hardware is not really supported and it's ATI's problem" is
silly. As Yoda would say "Do or do not, there is no try".

It seems Microsoft is breaking its own rules on shipping "non-certified"
drivers. I am not a developer any more, but wasn't one of the big
improvements in Vista supposed to be that all drivers had to pass some
vigorus set of Microsoft tests before they were "certified" and allowed to be
installed? Why is Microsoft breaking their own rules?

Yes, I do blame Microsoft and not ATI. The driver information lists the
driver author as Microsoft, not ATI. Even if ATI wrote it for Microsoft, if
Microsoft is shipping it as their's, they need to support it.

Very frustrating...

"JW" wrote:

> The 9250 does not meet the Vista hardware requirements and ATI is not
> supplying a Vista driver for it.
> "Aethyr Dragon" <Aethyr Dragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm getting the same problem - if there's a solution I'd also appreciate
> > it.
> >
> > "UsedLaptopGuy" wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed Vista Home Premium on a Dell 1800SC which has an on
> >> board
> >> ATI Radeon 9250 video controller. I know the controller will not support
> >> Aero and gaming but that's OK by me. However, when I select "Switch
> >> User" I
> >> get a BSOD every time. After the system recovers I get a message telling
> >> me
> >> that the problem was caused by the video driver.
> >>
> >> I've installed all of the latest updates.
> >>
> >> Anybody else seen this?

JW

Re: RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User
MS will not support any graphics card that does not meet its minimum
requirements in VISTA with anything else other then the simplist default
drivers. Only ATI if they want can write new drivers from scatch that
provide the minimum VISTA graphics card hardware requirements in software
and they have chosen not to do so since MS would still never put the cards
on its WHQL.
"UsedLaptopGuy" <UsedLaptopGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry JW, that's a silly response. I understand the 9250 does not meet
> the
> published Vista minimums yet drivers are shipped with the system.
> Microsoft
> either needs to supply drivers that work or do not include any drivers for
> the 9250 at all. To include half-baked drivers on the install disk and
> then
> say "well, that hardware is not really supported and it's ATI's problem"
> is
> silly. As Yoda would say "Do or do not, there is no try".
>
> It seems Microsoft is breaking its own rules on shipping "non-certified"
> drivers. I am not a developer any more, but wasn't one of the big
> improvements in Vista supposed to be that all drivers had to pass some
> vigorus set of Microsoft tests before they were "certified" and allowed to
> be
> installed? Why is Microsoft breaking their own rules?
>
> Yes, I do blame Microsoft and not ATI. The driver information lists the
> driver author as Microsoft, not ATI. Even if ATI wrote it for Microsoft,
> if
> Microsoft is shipping it as their's, they need to support it.
>
> Very frustrating...
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> The 9250 does not meet the Vista hardware requirements and ATI is not
>> supplying a Vista driver for it.
>> "Aethyr Dragon" <Aethyr Dragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I'm getting the same problem - if there's a solution I'd also
>> > appreciate
>> > it.

Rodney J

Re: RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User
Hi there, I am having the same issues with my Gigabyte Radeon ATI 9250
driver, the VIVO function now will not work as the driver is a Microsoft
Provided Driver with the Vista install. This sucks, I have asked ATI and
Gigabyte for support & am hoping I will get somewhere there. I will let you
know if I have any joy.
Rod.
"UsedLaptopGuy" <UsedLaptopGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry JW, that's a silly response. I understand the 9250 does not meet
> the
> published Vista minimums yet drivers are shipped with the system.
> Microsoft
> either needs to supply drivers that work or do not include any drivers for
> the 9250 at all. To include half-baked drivers on the install disk and
> then
> say "well, that hardware is not really supported and it's ATI's problem"
> is
> silly. As Yoda would say "Do or do not, there is no try".
>
> It seems Microsoft is breaking its own rules on shipping "non-certified"
> drivers. I am not a developer any more, but wasn't one of the big
> improvements in Vista supposed to be that all drivers had to pass some
> vigorus set of Microsoft tests before they were "certified" and allowed to
> be
> installed? Why is Microsoft breaking their own rules?
>
> Yes, I do blame Microsoft and not ATI. The driver information lists the
> driver author as Microsoft, not ATI. Even if ATI wrote it for Microsoft,
> if
> Microsoft is shipping it as their's, they need to support it.
>
> Very frustrating...
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> The 9250 does not meet the Vista hardware requirements and ATI is not
>> supplying a Vista driver for it.
>> "Aethyr Dragon" <Aethyr Dragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I'm getting the same problem - if there's a solution I'd also
>> > appreciate
>> > it.

UsedLaptopGuy

Re: RADEON 9250 BSOD When Switching User
Rod,

I think all of us 9250 owners are screwed. Microsoft blames ATI, ATI blames
Microsoft, the card manufacturers blame both Microsoft and ATI. Us poor
schmucks who bought this card a year or two ago are stuck in the middle.

Unfortunately the hardware configuration I am using prohibits the use of
almost all other graphic cards (long story there) so my only option is to buy
a whole new system. That's not in the cards given that I spent $2,000 for
this rig a year ago.

Anyway, let me know if you have any luck.

Tom