Readyboost stopping boot

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhdHV4?=

Readyboost stopping boot
I've just bought a Apacer Handy Steno AH320 drive for ReadyBoost purposes.
But then if i leave the drive alone in the port, the PC would hang while
booting. That is it would be stuck at the boot CD ROM part and see no
progress after 1 minute. Unplugging it before reboots would make it work, but
it's a hassle to plug it in every single reboot.

Using the Asus A7BN8X-E Deluxe motherboard, with a Athlon XP 2800+. 1.5GB of
RAM and SATA hard drives attached on onboard Silicon Image 3112r soft Raid.

Please Help.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Readyboost stopping boot
It does seem to, I think possibly because the BIOS is looking for a
removable drive to boot from and finding the new drive, it think's it's got
the boot drive. Is it really a hassle to remove it before rebooting?
Mine is just a little ScanDisk MicroCruz... I just pull it part way out of
the USB slot (when I remember) before startup, and reinsert it after the
notebook has finished boot.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Seatux" <Seatux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Apacer Handy Steno AH320 drive for ReadyBoost purposes.
> But then if i leave the drive alone in the port, the PC would hang while
> booting. That is it would be stuck at the boot CD ROM part and see no
> progress after 1 minute. Unplugging it before reboots would make it work,
> but
> it's a hassle to plug it in every single reboot.
>
> Using the Asus A7BN8X-E Deluxe motherboard, with a Athlon XP 2800+. 1.5GB
> of
> RAM and SATA hard drives attached on onboard Silicon Image 3112r soft
> Raid.
>
> Please Help.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Readyboost stopping boot
Check BIOS boot options and make sure that all USB devices are disabled as
potential boot sources. Also be sure that "Boot from other devices" or any
similar option is OFF.

"Seatux" <Seatux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Apacer Handy Steno AH320 drive for ReadyBoost purposes.
> But then if i leave the drive alone in the port, the PC would hang while
> booting. That is it would be stuck at the boot CD ROM part and see no
> progress after 1 minute. Unplugging it before reboots would make it work,
> but
> it's a hassle to plug it in every single reboot.
>
> Using the Asus A7BN8X-E Deluxe motherboard, with a Athlon XP 2800+. 1.5GB
> of
> RAM and SATA hard drives attached on onboard Silicon Image 3112r soft
> Raid.
>
> Please Help.

Conor

Re: Readyboost stopping boot
In article <648A5376-2051-4643-AD44-F50313B0BAC1@microsoft.com>, Seatux
says...
> I've just bought a Apacer Handy Steno AH320 drive for ReadyBoost purposes.
> But then if i leave the drive alone in the port, the PC would hang while
> booting. That is it would be stuck at the boot CD ROM part and see no
> progress after 1 minute. Unplugging it before reboots would make it work, but
> it's a hassle to plug it in every single reboot.
>
> Using the Asus A7BN8X-E Deluxe motherboard, with a Athlon XP 2800+. 1.5GB of
> RAM and SATA hard drives attached on onboard Silicon Image 3112r soft Raid.

Go into the BIOS and disable legacy USB support. This will stop the
computer seeing the USB stick and trying to boot from it until Windows
is starting.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Richard Urban

Re: Readyboost stopping boot
That may work. But in my case, it also prevents me from booting from my SATA
drive.

What I have done is to plug in the USB stick to an add-in USB card. This
card has an internal USB port on the card. Real nice for keeping the thumb
drive permanently connected. This card is not recognized until a bit after
the actual Windows boot process begins. It therefore allows the computer to
boot correctly.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

> Check BIOS boot options and make sure that all USB devices are disabled as
> potential boot sources. Also be sure that "Boot from other devices" or
> any similar option is OFF.

> "Seatux" <Seatux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've just bought a Apacer Handy Steno AH320 drive for ReadyBoost
>> purposes.
>> But then if i leave the drive alone in the port, the PC would hang while
>> booting. That is it would be stuck at the boot CD ROM part and see no
>> progress after 1 minute. Unplugging it before reboots would make it work,
>> but
>> it's a hassle to plug it in every single reboot.
>>
>> Using the Asus A7BN8X-E Deluxe motherboard, with a Athlon XP 2800+. 1.5GB
>> of
>> RAM and SATA hard drives attached on onboard Silicon Image 3112r soft
>> Raid.
>>
>> Please Help.

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhdHV4?=

Re: Readyboost stopping boot
I had only the CD ROM as first boot. Maybe Senor Urban's way of the USB card
might work better because of the mobo's non integrated SATA controller. Oh
well, i would try disabling the legacy USB support first.
Don

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> It does seem to, I think possibly because the BIOS is looking for a
> removable drive to boot from and finding the new drive, it think's it's
> got the boot drive. Is it really a hassle to remove it before
> rebooting? Mine is just a little ScanDisk MicroCruz... I just pull it
> part way out of the USB slot (when I remember) before startup, and
> reinsert it after the notebook has finished boot.

I have three different USB memory sticks, but only one of them causes
this problem during bootup -- it happens to be a SanDisk MiniCruzer.

Given the low price of USB sticks I'd suggest that trying a different
manufacturer would be the easiest solution.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Readyboost stopping boot
Aha, well at least we have found one common denominator..... we'll just have
to avoid MicroCruzers in future!
--

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> It does seem to, I think possibly because the BIOS is looking for a
>> removable drive to boot from and finding the new drive, it think's it's
>> got the boot drive. Is it really a hassle to remove it before
>> rebooting? Mine is just a little ScanDisk MicroCruz... I just pull it
>> part way out of the USB slot (when I remember) before startup, and
>> reinsert it after the notebook has finished boot.

> I have three different USB memory sticks, but only one of them causes
> this problem during bootup -- it happens to be a SanDisk MiniCruzer.
>
> Given the low price of USB sticks I'd suggest that trying a different
> manufacturer would be the easiest solution.

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhdHV4?=

Re: Readyboost stopping boot
I finally disabled USB Legacy support, (for the A7N8X-E, it is marked as USB
Keyboard and Legacy Support) and got the thing to boot after all.
Thanks/Terima Kasih for the help guys.
Don

Seatux wrote:
> I finally disabled USB Legacy support,

Just to double-check, do you really mean 'disable'?