Need help with hdtv!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?W0E0Yl1NZXJj?=

Need help with hdtv!!!!
ok the deal is i have a 37" lcd hdtv made by proview and i have an nvidia
6600gt msi pci-e video card i have the new drivers for the card. the thing is
when i go to change from 720p to 1024x768 the picture goes out and then i
have to reset it to get the old set up back because the screen goes out and i
can see anything. i have it set up with a dvi to hdmi cable. and another
thing is when i go to play city of heros in the 720p the screen goes out. so
if anyone has any help with this please tell. i would like to keep it in hd
mode to play the game but if not its ok to. Thanks.
=?Utf-8?B?ZWJhcjM=?=

RE: Need help with hdtv!!!!
Read up on Nvidia's site... I remember poking around on the site and reading
problems, sounds like that is a known issue. Its Nvidia not Microsoft.

Edward

"[A4b]Merc" wrote:

> ok the deal is i have a 37" lcd hdtv made by proview and i have an nvidia
> 6600gt msi pci-e video card i have the new drivers for the card. the thing is
> when i go to change from 720p to 1024x768 the picture goes out and then i
> have to reset it to get the old set up back because the screen goes out and i
> can see anything. i have it set up with a dvi to hdmi cable. and another
> thing is when i go to play city of heros in the 720p the screen goes out. so
> if anyone has any help with this please tell. i would like to keep it in hd
> mode to play the game but if not its ok to. Thanks.

George

Re: Need help with hdtv!!!!
On Mar 9, 11:09 pm, [A4b]Merc <[A4b]M...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> ok the deal is i have a 37" lcd hdtv made by proview and i have an nvidia
> 6600gt msi pci-e video card i have the new drivers for the card. the thing is
> when i go to change from 720p to 1024x768 the picture goes out and then i
> have to reset it to get the old set up back because the screen goes out and i
> can see anything. i have it set up with a dvi to hdmi cable. and another
> thing is when i go to play city of heros in the 720p the screen goes out. so
> if anyone has any help with this please tell. i would like to keep it in hd
> mode to play the game but if not its ok to. Thanks.

What model is your 37" LCD HSTV? What is its native screen
resolution? Does the HDMI port support PC screen resolutions or does
it only suppoet video resolutions (480, 720 & 1080)? Does your HDTV
it have a PC port?

I have a 40" Sony. It has a RGB port and a HDMI port. My HTPC is
attached to the RGP port and is set for the native resolution of
1360x768. It will also support other common PC resolutions such as
1024x768. My HDTV manual specifically said not to attach a PC to the
HDMI port. What does your manual say about this?

It is better to use the PC port instead of the HDMI port on most HDTVs
for multiple reasons. Most HDMI ports do not support standard PC
resolutions and only support video resolutions. Many LCD HDTVs
display panels have a native resolution (e.g. 1366 x 768) that are not
a standard video resolution. It is best for a PC to use the native
resolution and in most cases this requires attaching the PC to the PC
port. In addition, the PC port will often support many other standard
PC resolution. TVs employ over-scan for historic reasons. This chops
off the edges off the image on the screen. This is desirable for
video but not PC screens (do you want the windows task bar chopped
off?). This can be compensted for. However, signals inputted to the
PC port will not suffer over-scan and no compensation is needed.

This may not be a Vista problem. I suggest you try searching and
posting in a forum geared towards HTPCs such as:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

George