Windows Mobile Center installation breaks plug and play

=?Utf-8?B?R2FicmllbA==?=

Windows Mobile Center installation breaks plug and play
Hello,

I dont know if any one ever experience the strange issue I had:

I have installed Vista Utimate on a brand new computer. Every is working
nicely. Usb drivers are in place. If I connect a USB memory key, it is
recognized immediately. I also have a memory card reader plugged on an usb
port that is working straight from Vista installation.

Then I install Windows Mobile Device. I grab it from Microsoft download
center. The file is drvupdate-x86.exe.

The fact that the file is called something "driver update" is kind of
strange... but ok I use it anyway. I dont uninstall previous version of
mobile center as this is the first time I install it.

After the installation, the mobile center is working nice (I can plug a WM5
device and synchronize with outlook 2007).

But... during the installation, a lot of usb devices seems to be
uninstalled. They appear as unknown device in the device manager.

Here is the list of device that are impacted by the Mobile center
installation:
- Usb memory card reader
- Usb memory key
- Usb hubs (internal and external)

They all appear as unidentified device. If I try to re install it, the plug
and play does not find the corresponding driver. Vista then goes over the net
to find a driver and does not find any.

Then the user can interact. I manually point the driver search to
"c:\windows".. and then Vista finds the corresponding driver.

I have to repeat the operation with every driver of every device. For
example, for my memory card reader I have to manually point to "c:\windows"
at least 20 times.

In the end.. everyting is working, but I have a feeling that the plug and
play is in fact broken.

I have reproduced the issue many time (format the computer + install Vista +
install mobile center). My computer is new, so I can format the drive easily
and I wanted to isolate the operation that breaks the plug and play
functionality.

My understanding of the situation is that when mobile center installs
itself, it somehow changes the path where generic vista drivers are located.
The result is that any new install will not find its driver.

I must confess that this is a major issue for me as it means that plugging a
usb memory key in the computer becomes very complex.

Does anyone have hint to solve this issue ?

Regards