IDE ATA/ATAPI controler included in Vista and Harddrive in HP

=?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?=

IDE ATA/ATAPI controler included in Vista and Harddrive in HP
HP PC, P4 2.8ghz HT, 1.5gb pc2700, 160GB IDE hard drive 7200 RPM, ATI 9550
256mb agp 8x

ATA Channel
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24D1
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24DB

Vista included driver on this controlers is causing my harddrive to make
some annoying sounds. I reinstalled XP and the annoying sound is gone. This
is a Vista issue that should be check out. HP can't seem to solve the issue
and they have told me that it's a Window Vista issue
Jane C

Re: IDE ATA/ATAPI controler included in Vista and Harddrive in HP
GT, I have the same ATA controllers as you and have had absolutely no
annoying sounds from my hard drives at all. Not even back in Beta 2 days.

On a fresh install of Vista, you have to allow a couple of days for the
system to 'settle down', especially whilst Vista is indexing. Having said
that, I can't say that I have ever heard any untoward noises coming from my
hard drives at all.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HP PC, P4 2.8ghz HT, 1.5gb pc2700, 160GB IDE hard drive 7200 RPM, ATI
> 9550
> 256mb agp 8x
>

> ATA Channel
> Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24D1
> Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24DB
>
> Vista included driver on this controlers is causing my harddrive to make
> some annoying sounds. I reinstalled XP and the annoying sound is gone.
> This
> is a Vista issue that should be check out. HP can't seem to solve the
> issue
> and they have told me that it's a Window Vista issue

Steve Urbach

Re: IDE ATA/ATAPI controler included in Vista and Harddrive in HP
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 21:45:12 +1100, "Jane C"
<jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote:

>GT, I have the same ATA controllers as you and have had absolutely no
>annoying sounds from my hard drives at all. Not even back in Beta 2 days.
>
>On a fresh install of Vista, you have to allow a couple of days for the
>system to 'settle down', especially whilst Vista is indexing. Having said
>that, I can't say that I have ever heard any untoward noises coming from my
>hard drives at all.

Some drives tend to be noisier than others during activity.
Mounting orientation (approved) can also affect this some.
Some BIOS have a setting (affects maximum performance) to limit
"Acoustic Mode".
Me: Let it be noisy BUT it MUST be accurate. I disable "Write behind
Cache" and take a small performance hit, but eliminate artifacts when
multiple files need to be written in sync (example: data and index
files).

To the OP: look for settings in BIOS and drivers that affect "acoustic
mode" for your hard drive. ( Vista may not support this mode in its
quest for performance)
=?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?=

Re: IDE ATA/ATAPI controler included in Vista and Harddrive in HP
I have it installed for 1 month already so the sound should go away right and
i don't have much files and stuff on my computer since it is mainly for
internet use. all computers are made differently so you might not experience
this but some people might.

"Jane C" wrote:

> GT, I have the same ATA controllers as you and have had absolutely no
> annoying sounds from my hard drives at all. Not even back in Beta 2 days.
>
> On a fresh install of Vista, you have to allow a couple of days for the
> system to 'settle down', especially whilst Vista is indexing. Having said
> that, I can't say that I have ever heard any untoward noises coming from my
> hard drives at all.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HP PC, P4 2.8ghz HT, 1.5gb pc2700, 160GB IDE hard drive 7200 RPM, ATI
> > 9550
> > 256mb agp 8x
> >

> > ATA Channel
> > Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24D1
> > Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24DB
> >
> > Vista included driver on this controlers is causing my harddrive to make
> > some annoying sounds. I reinstalled XP and the annoying sound is gone.
> > This
> > is a Vista issue that should be check out. HP can't seem to solve the
> > issue
> > and they have told me that it's a Window Vista issue

Donald L McDaniel

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:54:00 -0800, GT <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>HP PC, P4 2.8ghz HT, 1.5gb pc2700, 160GB IDE hard drive 7200 RPM, ATI 9550
>256mb agp 8x
>

>ATA Channel
>Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24D1
>Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controlers -24DB
>
>Vista included driver on this controlers is causing my harddrive to make
>some annoying sounds. I reinstalled XP and the annoying sound is gone. This
>is a Vista issue that should be check out. HP can't seem to solve the issue
>and they have told me that it's a Window Vista issue

Well, considering that my Dell PC has no such problems under XP or Vista, you
might look a little closer at the ones who actually worked with Intel when
writing the drivers -- the engineers of HP, who then (hopefully) worked with the
engineers of Microsoft to work out such annoyances in Vista.

The drives attached to my Intel RAID controller (SATA) run smoothly as
cheesecake in a hot sun in either XP OR Vista.

It surely sounds like the "vista drivers" from HP for that particular U-ATA
storage controller aren't quite ready for Vista, and seem to be more like "XP
drivers" re-baptized as "Vista drivers", with little on no work done on them by
the HP engineers, other than changing a few text strings in the drivers to make
them appear to be "Vista-capable".

By the way, modern motherboards, controller cards, and hard drives have the
ability to regulate the SPEED at which a hard drive operates, thus removing much
of the noise associated with HD operation. My Dell motherboard has this ability
in the BIOS. I can barely hear either of mine in operation, even in a room
which MAGNIFIES all sounds.

Perhaps you should check in your BIOS to see whether there are variable speed
settings for your HDs. It won't cost you anything but a little time and a
reboot or two.

Donald L McDaniel
Please Reply to the Original thread.
Donald L McDaniel

Re: IDE ATA/ATAPI controler included in Vista and Harddrive in HP
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:11:37 -0800, Steve Urbach <dragonsclaw@NOTmindspring.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 21:45:12 +1100, "Jane C"
><jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote:
>
>>GT, I have the same ATA controllers as you and have had absolutely no
>>annoying sounds from my hard drives at all. Not even back in Beta 2 days.
>>
>>On a fresh install of Vista, you have to allow a couple of days for the
>>system to 'settle down', especially whilst Vista is indexing. Having said
>>that, I can't say that I have ever heard any untoward noises coming from my
>>hard drives at all.

>Some drives tend to be noisier than others during activity.
>Mounting orientation (approved) can also affect this some.
>Some BIOS have a setting (affects maximum performance) to limit
>"Acoustic Mode".
>Me: Let it be noisy BUT it MUST be accurate. I disable "Write behind
>Cache" and take a small performance hit, but eliminate artifacts when
>multiple files need to be written in sync (example: data and index
>files).
>
>To the OP: look for settings in BIOS and drivers that affect "acoustic
>mode" for your hard drive. ( Vista may not support this mode in its
>quest for performance)

I assure you, Vista does support this mode (if your motherboard/controller
card/hard drives support it). If I set my SATA drives to operate at highest
speed, they are noisy as a jetliner taking off. But if I lower the Acoustic
mode, they quiet-down considerably.

This in either XP or Vista.