Drivers..is it really that hard??

Puppy Breath

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
The WDK (Windows Driver Kit) was released early last November. So I'm
inclined to agree with the folks who think that some hardware vendors are
intentionally dragging their feet. After all, it costs them money to release
new drivers. They make money when they sell new products.

All throughout the beta people were asking for drivers. And the usual reply
from vendors was "we'll make them available when Vista ships". But I still
don't see a whole lot of drivers out there. On some of my older stuff the
manufacturers have announced that there will never be Vista drivers for the
product.

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:A56dnaTCubwfaG3YnZ2dnUVZ_r2onZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> well there is one way to solve this problem, don't buy vista, of course
> you may be forced into it.
> I have vista and only have one printer/scanner that is not supported,
> guess I am lucky.
> One of the posters is right about how hardware manufactures love this,
> especially the ones that make computers and printers. They take their
> machines off the shelves and put out only vista machines, it doesn't take
> a rocket guy (you thought I would write scientist) to figure it out.
>

> "Homer" <nada@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns98ED9FC338135sorrynothanksorg@140.99.99.13 8...
>>I am not a programmer but...is it really that difficult to write drivers?
>> It is hard to believe that Microsoft and all of the biggies that make
>> hardware devices cannot generate drivers for Vista (or any other OS for
>> that matter) on time for a major release. My company forced me to switch
>> to Vista and now my printer, scanner, palm pilot, yada, yada wont work.
>>
>> Talk about the REAL cost of upgrading. Seems they do it on purpose.
>>
>> Thanks for letting me rant...
>>
>> JohnS

Richard Urban

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
The hardware manufacturers certainly do it on purpose. They just love it
when a new O/S is released. It gives them license to "discontinue"
development on older products to force you to purchase new items. They are
gambling that you will come back to them for your new printer, or whatever.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Homer" <nada@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:Xns98ED9FC338135sorrynothanksorg@140.99.99.13 8...
>I am not a programmer but...is it really that difficult to write drivers?
> It is hard to believe that Microsoft and all of the biggies that make
> hardware devices cannot generate drivers for Vista (or any other OS for
> that matter) on time for a major release. My company forced me to switch
> to Vista and now my printer, scanner, palm pilot, yada, yada wont work.
>
> Talk about the REAL cost of upgrading. Seems they do it on purpose.
>
> Thanks for letting me rant...
>
> JohnS

Dustin Harper

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
Kind of a consipracy theory, though, isn't it...

I have to disagree. Why alienate your customers with bad drivers? NVIDIA's
latest and greatest video card doesn't have stable drivers? What are you
going to go to? ATI. If Epson or HP didn't have drivers, you'd go to the
store and buy a Canon. Why? Better support.

Sure, they have SOME planned obsolesence, but it's expected. I just hope
it's not like XP: I don't want to run beta German drivers for my scanner (I
can't read German!). Not the fault of MS, though...

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

> The hardware manufacturers certainly do it on purpose. They just love it
> when a new O/S is released. It gives them license to "discontinue"
> development on older products to force you to purchase new items. They are
> gambling that you will come back to them for your new printer, or
> whatever.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Homer" <nada@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns98ED9FC338135sorrynothanksorg@140.99.99.13 8...
>>I am not a programmer but...is it really that difficult to write drivers?
>> It is hard to believe that Microsoft and all of the biggies that make
>> hardware devices cannot generate drivers for Vista (or any other OS for
>> that matter) on time for a major release. My company forced me to switch
>> to Vista and now my printer, scanner, palm pilot, yada, yada wont work.
>>
>> Talk about the REAL cost of upgrading. Seems they do it on purpose.
>>
>> Thanks for letting me rant...
>>
>> JohnS

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
Homer

Microsoft don't make hardware.. the MS branded hardware is not made by them,
and even MS had to wait for the manufacturer to release drivers for the
keyboards and mice..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Noozer

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Kind of a consipracy theory, though, isn't it...
>
> I have to disagree. Why alienate your customers with bad drivers? NVIDIA's
> latest and greatest video card doesn't have stable drivers? What are you
> going to go to? ATI. If Epson or HP didn't have drivers, you'd go to the
> store and buy a Canon. Why? Better support.

They already have your money for the old hardware. They don't care if it
works or not. All they want is to generate more sales, so they won't shoot
themselves in the foot and let you use your old hardware for an extra 3
years.

Richard Urban

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
How about alienating your customers with NO drivers. That is what many
companies do.

Take Nvidia. All through the beta's and CP builds the Nvidia 5200 was
supported and ran Aero fine. Because they wanted you to buy a more expensive
card, they dropped Vista support for the 5200.

All the HW manufacturers do it.

Yes, it sucks.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Kind of a consipracy theory, though, isn't it...
>
> I have to disagree. Why alienate your customers with bad drivers? NVIDIA's
> latest and greatest video card doesn't have stable drivers? What are you
> going to go to? ATI. If Epson or HP didn't have drivers, you'd go to the
> store and buy a Canon. Why? Better support.
>
> Sure, they have SOME planned obsolesence, but it's expected. I just hope
> it's not like XP: I don't want to run beta German drivers for my scanner
> (I can't read German!). Not the fault of MS, though...
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com

>> The hardware manufacturers certainly do it on purpose. They just love it
>> when a new O/S is released. It gives them license to "discontinue"
>> development on older products to force you to purchase new items. They
>> are gambling that you will come back to them for your new printer, or
>> whatever.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban MVP
>> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Homer" <nada@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns98ED9FC338135sorrynothanksorg@140.99.99.13 8...
>>>I am not a programmer but...is it really that difficult to write drivers?
>>> It is hard to believe that Microsoft and all of the biggies that make
>>> hardware devices cannot generate drivers for Vista (or any other OS for
>>> that matter) on time for a major release. My company forced me to
>>> switch
>>> to Vista and now my printer, scanner, palm pilot, yada, yada wont work.
>>>
>>> Talk about the REAL cost of upgrading. Seems they do it on purpose.
>>>
>>> Thanks for letting me rant...
>>>
>>> JohnS

Dustin Harper

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
True. But, our wallets are the ones that keep them in business. Keep them
shut, and they will stop with the crap. Pretty much the only way to make
your voice heard these days is to keep your money to yourself.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

> How about alienating your customers with NO drivers. That is what many
> companies do.
>
> Take Nvidia. All through the beta's and CP builds the Nvidia 5200 was
> supported and ran Aero fine. Because they wanted you to buy a more
> expensive card, they dropped Vista support for the 5200.
>
> All the HW manufacturers do it.
>
> Yes, it sucks.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> Kind of a consipracy theory, though, isn't it...
>>
>> I have to disagree. Why alienate your customers with bad drivers?
>> NVIDIA's latest and greatest video card doesn't have stable drivers? What
>> are you going to go to? ATI. If Epson or HP didn't have drivers, you'd go
>> to the store and buy a Canon. Why? Better support.
>>
>> Sure, they have SOME planned obsolesence, but it's expected. I just hope
>> it's not like XP: I don't want to run beta German drivers for my scanner
>> (I can't read German!). Not the fault of MS, though...
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The hardware manufacturers certainly do it on purpose. They just love it
>>> when a new O/S is released. It gives them license to "discontinue"
>>> development on older products to force you to purchase new items. They
>>> are gambling that you will come back to them for your new printer, or
>>> whatever.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban MVP
>>> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Homer" <nada@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns98ED9FC338135sorrynothanksorg@140.99.99.13 8...

BigJim

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
well there is one way to solve this problem, don't buy vista, of course you
may be forced into it.
I have vista and only have one printer/scanner that is not supported, guess
I am lucky.
One of the posters is right about how hardware manufactures love this,
especially the ones that make computers and printers. They take their
machines off the shelves and put out only vista machines, it doesn't take a
rocket guy (you thought I would write scientist) to figure it out.

"Homer" <nada@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:Xns98ED9FC338135sorrynothanksorg@140.99.99.13 8...
>I am not a programmer but...is it really that difficult to write drivers?
> It is hard to believe that Microsoft and all of the biggies that make
> hardware devices cannot generate drivers for Vista (or any other OS for
> that matter) on time for a major release. My company forced me to switch
> to Vista and now my printer, scanner, palm pilot, yada, yada wont work.
>
> Talk about the REAL cost of upgrading. Seems they do it on purpose.
>
> Thanks for letting me rant...
>
> JohnS

Owen Smith

Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??
> Re: Drivers..is it really that hard??

YES

> The WDK (Windows Driver Kit) was released early last November

It was still in BETA. Beta tools can only produce (at best) beta drivers,
especially when these tools changed quite significantly until the RTM
version of the WDK (in November 2006). 3 Months to develop drivers is
still a very short time (especially if you have to support a lot of
products/operating systems/configurations/...)

Some driver architectures changed from XP (printers and graphics drivers
mainly), so these have to be rewritten from scratch.