Audio device not working after resuming from sleep

=?iso-8859-2?Q?Said_=22Szajd=22_D=E1niel?=

Audio device not working after resuming from sleep
Hi,

Does anyone else have this, and a workaround?

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate (RTM) since about November, and I still
can't start using the otherwise great Sleep feature.

My audio device stops working after resuming from sleep (S3). There's no way
I can recover the device (Device Manager doesn't help either). Only a
restart helps.

I know about the KB article 929685, but that only refers to HD audio
devices, which is not applicable for me.

I have an integrated SoundMAX card (AD1888, Analog Devices, Inc. --
Fujitsu-Siemens Computer). On the Fujitsu-Siemens website, the latest driver
for AD 1888 is dated 2005. I have the latest BIOS revision on my
motherboard.

Thanks,
Szajd

George

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep
On Mar 8, 9:53 am, Said "Szajd" Dániel
<s...@DELETETHEALLCAPSLETTERszajd.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone else have this, and a workaround?
>
> I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate (RTM) since about November, and I still
> can't start using the otherwise great Sleep feature.
>
> My audio device stops working after resuming from sleep (S3). There's no way
> I can recover the device (Device Manager doesn't help either). Only a
> restart helps.
>
> I know about the KB article 929685, but that only refers to HD audio
> devices, which is not applicable for me.
>
> I have an integrated SoundMAX card (AD1888, Analog Devices, Inc. --
> Fujitsu-Siemens Computer). On the Fujitsu-Siemens website, the latest driver
> for AD 1888 is dated 2005. I have the latest BIOS revision on my
> motherboard.
>
> Thanks,
> Szajd

Welcome to the club! See our posts here:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro... 1a4430df14189

What's your motherboard?

George

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Said_=22Szajd=22_D=E1niel?=

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep
It's an ASUS P5SD1-FM2 ATX.

--Szajd

"George" <aglozier@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173377696.506538.140940@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
On Mar 8, 9:53 am, Said "Szajd" Dániel
<s...@DELETETHEALLCAPSLETTERszajd.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone else have this, and a workaround?
>
> I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate (RTM) since about November, and I still
> can't start using the otherwise great Sleep feature.
>
> My audio device stops working after resuming from sleep (S3). There's no
> way
> I can recover the device (Device Manager doesn't help either). Only a
> restart helps.
>
> I know about the KB article 929685, but that only refers to HD audio
> devices, which is not applicable for me.
>
> I have an integrated SoundMAX card (AD1888, Analog Devices, Inc. --
> Fujitsu-Siemens Computer). On the Fujitsu-Siemens website, the latest
> driver
> for AD 1888 is dated 2005. I have the latest BIOS revision on my
> motherboard.
>
> Thanks,
> Szajd

Welcome to the club! See our posts here:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro... 1a4430df14189

What's your motherboard?

George

George

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep
Szajd, you didn't say if you lose the audio device every time your
computer resumes from sleep or only some of the time. Which is it?

There's now three of us with this problem. Between us we have Acer,
Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. We also have Realtek HD and SoundMAX
AC' 97 audio codecs. I built my own computer and did a clean install
of Vista. The other guy bought a new Acer with Vista preinstalled.
Szajd, I'm guessing you have a pre-Vista computer and you upgraded to
Vista. Is that correct?

I haven't any others posting about this problem. Maybe it's a
relatively rare problem. Maybe something else in our computers is
interacting with Vista to trigger this. I wonder if besides Vista
there anything else our computers have in common. Here is some more
specifications for my computer.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N550 -T2 GeForce 7600GT
Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800
Optical Drive: SAMSUNG dual layer DVD burner
PCI Card: An Old Compaq Firewire (IEEE 1394) card with a TI firewire
chip

What does your computer have?

George

On Mar 8, 2:19 pm, Said "Szajd" Dániel
<s...@DELETETHEALLCAPSLETTERszajd.info> wrote:
> It's an ASUS P5SD1-FM2 ATX.
>
> --Szajd
>
> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173377696.506538.140940@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
> On Mar 8, 9:53 am, Said "Szajd" Dániel
>

> <s...@DELETETHEALLCAPSLETTERszajd.info> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > Does anyone else have this, and a workaround?

> > I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate (RTM) since about November, and I still
> > can't start using the otherwise great Sleep feature.

> > My audio device stops working after resuming from sleep (S3). There's no
> > way
> > I can recover the device (Device Manager doesn't help either). Only a
> > restart helps.

> > I know about the KB article 929685, but that only refers to HD audio
> > devices, which is not applicable for me.

> > I have an integrated SoundMAX card (AD1888, Analog Devices, Inc. --
> > Fujitsu-Siemens Computer). On the Fujitsu-Siemens website, the latest
> > driver
> > for AD 1888 is dated 2005. I have the latest BIOS revision on my
> > motherboard.

> > Thanks,
> > Szajd

> Welcome to the club! See our posts here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro....vista.hardwar...
>
> What's your motherboard?
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

George

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep
I just located a MS knowledge base article that may cover this
problem. It is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734

Unfortunatly you can't download the hotfix. You have to call them to
get it.

George

Paul Spencer

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep - my fix
I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix last night:

My system:
Vista Ultimate
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)

I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as the
come out with no sucess.

SOLUTION:
In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
Put the computer in sleep mode.
Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the unintalled audio
hardware and automatically install the driver.
This seems to have fixed my computer!

Paul

"George" <aglozier@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173413436.898250.120960@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>I just located a MS knowledge base article that may cover this
> problem. It is here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734
>
> Unfortunatly you can't download the hotfix. You have to call them to
> get it.
>
> George

George

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep - my fix
Have you tested this for serveral sleep and wake-up cycles? Did that
permanently fix the problem?

At Gigabyte's request, I uninstalled the drivers, put the computer to
sleep and woke it up several times. Sometime it detected the audio
device and reinstalled the drivers. Sometimes it did not. So this
didn't help me. By do this, Gigabyte was tring to rule out a driver
issue.

George

On Mar 12, 10:40 am, "Paul Spencer" <epspen...@att.net> wrote:
> I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix last night:
>
> My system:
> Vista Ultimate
> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)
>
> I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as the
> come out with no sucess.
>
> SOLUTION:
> In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
> Put the computer in sleep mode.
> Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the unintalled audio
> hardware and automatically install the driver.
> This seems to have fixed my computer!
>
> Paul
>
> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173413436.898250.120960@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>

> >I just located a MS knowledge base article that may cover this
> > problem. It is here:

> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734

> > Unfortunatly you can't download the hotfix. You have to call them to
> > get it.

> > George- Hide quoted text -

Paul Spencer

Re: my fix failed
Just now it failed again. I did cycle in and out of sleep and also let it go
to sleep on it's own off and on for a day and it appeared to be fixed but
it's not. I guess I'll just have to go back to waiting on MS to patch it.

Paul

"George" <aglozier@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173714926.544234.324110@n33g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> Have you tested this for serveral sleep and wake-up cycles? Did that
> permanently fix the problem?
>
> At Gigabyte's request, I uninstalled the drivers, put the computer to
> sleep and woke it up several times. Sometime it detected the audio
> device and reinstalled the drivers. Sometimes it did not. So this
> didn't help me. By do this, Gigabyte was tring to rule out a driver
> issue.
>
> George
>
> On Mar 12, 10:40 am, "Paul Spencer" <epspen...@att.net> wrote:
>> I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix last night:
>>
>> My system:
>> Vista Ultimate
>> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)
>>
>> I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as the
>> come out with no sucess.
>>
>> SOLUTION:
>> In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
>> Put the computer in sleep mode.
>> Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the unintalled audio
>> hardware and automatically install the driver.
>> This seems to have fixed my computer!
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1173413436.898250.120960@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>>

>> >I just located a MS knowledge base article that may cover this
>> > problem. It is here:

>> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734

>> > Unfortunatly you can't download the hotfix. You have to call them to
>> > get it.

>> > George- Hide quoted text -

Paul Spencer

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep - my fix
I tested it many times successfully but now it doesn't work again. I was
premature in my celebration.

"George" <aglozier@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173714926.544234.324110@n33g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> Have you tested this for serveral sleep and wake-up cycles? Did that
> permanently fix the problem?
>
> At Gigabyte's request, I uninstalled the drivers, put the computer to
> sleep and woke it up several times. Sometime it detected the audio
> device and reinstalled the drivers. Sometimes it did not. So this
> didn't help me. By do this, Gigabyte was tring to rule out a driver
> issue.
>
> George
>
> On Mar 12, 10:40 am, "Paul Spencer" <epspen...@att.net> wrote:
>> I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix last night:
>>
>> My system:
>> Vista Ultimate
>> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)
>>
>> I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as the
>> come out with no sucess.
>>
>> SOLUTION:
>> In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
>> Put the computer in sleep mode.
>> Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the unintalled audio
>> hardware and automatically install the driver.
>> This seems to have fixed my computer!
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1173413436.898250.120960@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>>

>> >I just located a MS knowledge base article that may cover this
>> > problem. It is here:

>> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734

>> > Unfortunatly you can't download the hotfix. You have to call them to
>> > get it.

>> > George- Hide quoted text -

George

Re: Audio device not working after resuming from sleep - my fix
On Mar 12, 5:44 pm, "Paul Spencer" <p...@paulthecomputerguy.com>
wrote:
> I tested it many times successfully but now it doesn't work again. I was
> premature in my celebration.
>
> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173714926.544234.324110@n33g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
>

> > Have you tested this for serveral sleep and wake-up cycles? Did that
> > permanently fix the problem?

> > At Gigabyte's request, I uninstalled the drivers, put the computer to
> > sleep and woke it up several times. Sometime it detected the audio
> > device and reinstalled the drivers. Sometimes it did not. So this
> > didn't help me. By do this, Gigabyte was tring to rule out a driver
> > issue.

> > George

> > On Mar 12, 10:40 am, "Paul Spencer" <epspen...@att.net> wrote:
> >> I have been having the same problem and ran across a fix last night:

> >> My system:
> >> Vista Ultimate
> >> Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec (HD)

> >> I have been installing the latest Realtek drivers and bios updates as the
> >> come out with no sucess.

> >> SOLUTION:
> >> In Device Manager uninstall the audio driver.
> >> Put the computer in sleep mode.
> >> Wake up the computer from sleep and it will detect the unintalled audio
> >> hardware and automatically install the driver.
> >> This seems to have fixed my computer!

> >> Paul

> >> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >>news:1173413436.898250.120960@h3g2000cwc.googleg roups.com...

Yes it's very random. At times you get a streak of no failures then
it seems to fail every time. Have you submited this to Microsoft? I
have the OEM version and I'd have to pay to do so.

George