ATA Channel 0 problem

=?Utf-8?B?eXVyeW1ldGVsc2tp?=

ATA Channel 0 problem
After I installed recommended (!) update of NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial ATA
Controller yesterday I do not have any devices listed under ATA Channel 0 and
the DMA is not enabled anymore (the checkbox isn't even there). It used to
shows DMA enabled with Ultra DMA Mode 5. What does it mean? Why is my
harddrive not listed there and not showing DMA enabled? What implications
does it have for my computer?

It seems to me that my computer is working slower now. I tried uninstalling
the Channel 0 driver but when it is reinstalled it still doesn't show my hard
drive and DMA isn't enabled. I tried system restore to the point before I did
the upgrade, and the system restore gives me a message that it was
unsuccessful and that some drivers were not returned to that point. Please
help?!
C.Skaggs

Re: ATA Channel 0 problem
try uninstalling both ide0 and ide1, then uninstall the "Standard Dual
Channel PCI IDE Controller" and reboot.
My MOBO has the same chipset and it's working fine after doing what I just
described.
"yurymetelski" <yurymetelski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I installed recommended (!) update of NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial
> ATA
> Controller yesterday I do not have any devices listed under ATA Channel 0
> and
> the DMA is not enabled anymore (the checkbox isn't even there). It used to
> shows DMA enabled with Ultra DMA Mode 5. What does it mean? Why is my
> harddrive not listed there and not showing DMA enabled? What implications
> does it have for my computer?
>
> It seems to me that my computer is working slower now. I tried
> uninstalling
> the Channel 0 driver but when it is reinstalled it still doesn't show my
> hard
> drive and DMA isn't enabled. I tried system restore to the point before I
> did
> the upgrade, and the system restore gives me a message that it was
> unsuccessful and that some drivers were not returned to that point. Please
> help?!

pete

Re: ATA Channel 0 problem
Never download Hardware drivers from the MS update site...this was true in
XP and seems to be true for Vista.Go to the Hardware manufacturers website
to search for and install drivers.
Under Device Manager..right click the device...properties..under the drivers
tab...rollback drivers.
This should put you back to the previous version.
Then go to the Nvidea website and download their newest Vista drivers that
match your chipset.
peter
"yurymetelski" <yurymetelski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I installed recommended (!) update of NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial
> ATA
> Controller yesterday I do not have any devices listed under ATA Channel 0
> and
> the DMA is not enabled anymore (the checkbox isn't even there). It used to
> shows DMA enabled with Ultra DMA Mode 5. What does it mean? Why is my
> harddrive not listed there and not showing DMA enabled? What implications
> does it have for my computer?
>
> It seems to me that my computer is working slower now. I tried
> uninstalling
> the Channel 0 driver but when it is reinstalled it still doesn't show my
> hard
> drive and DMA isn't enabled. I tried system restore to the point before I
> did
> the upgrade, and the system restore gives me a message that it was
> unsuccessful and that some drivers were not returned to that point. Please
> help?!

=?Utf-8?B?eXVyeW1ldGVsc2tp?=

Re: ATA Channel 0 problem
Thank you for your answers. However, the issue remains because I tried
rolling back the drivers but the option to do that is inactive.

This is probably an important piece of information, but i only found out
yesterday - specifications of my computer say that my hard drive is SATA.
Would that be why it is not showing up under IDE Primary Controller? If so,
why was it showing up as IDE Primary Controller before the update? If it
wasn't supposed to be under the IDE Primary Controller and the update fixed
it, why is there no SATA controller in Device Manager? I am just trying to
figure out how it all works and how to improve performance of my computer. I
appreciate your help.

"pete" wrote:

> Never download Hardware drivers from the MS update site...this was true in
> XP and seems to be true for Vista.Go to the Hardware manufacturers website
> to search for and install drivers.
> Under Device Manager..right click the device...properties..under the drivers
> tab...rollback drivers.
> This should put you back to the previous version.
> Then go to the Nvidea website and download their newest Vista drivers that
> match your chipset.
> peter
> "yurymetelski" <yurymetelski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After I installed recommended (!) update of NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial
> > ATA
> > Controller yesterday I do not have any devices listed under ATA Channel 0
> > and
> > the DMA is not enabled anymore (the checkbox isn't even there). It used to
> > shows DMA enabled with Ultra DMA Mode 5. What does it mean? Why is my
> > harddrive not listed there and not showing DMA enabled? What implications
> > does it have for my computer?
> >
> > It seems to me that my computer is working slower now. I tried
> > uninstalling
> > the Channel 0 driver but when it is reinstalled it still doesn't show my
> > hard
> > drive and DMA isn't enabled. I tried system restore to the point before I
> > did
> > the upgrade, and the system restore gives me a message that it was
> > unsuccessful and that some drivers were not returned to that point. Please
> > help?!

koze

Re: ATA Channel 0 problem
Some mfgrs have choosen a option inside the BIOS to be able for the user to
set SATA to emulate a PATA drive.

If this was the case at first and you have updated some settings it might be
onverted back to standard SATA and no longer emulate the PATA drive.

Give it a try in the BIOS to see if this is changed. If PATA emulation is
on you don't need sata drivers, if you installed those it's logical no
longer working because it doesn't know what driver to use.

Ko