NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM

=?Utf-8?B?cmljaGFyZG1hbg==?=

NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
can anyone please advise on a way to reduce/adjust the amount of system ram
my nvidia geforce fx5200 is using please? it is a 128mb card but always
shares 256mb of my total 1gb ddr2 system ram, which i would prefer to set to
128mb sharing only. i am running vista ultimate oem, with intel duo core
2x2.80ghz, with dual displays @ 1440x900 resolution each.
any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks!!
C.Skaggs

Re: NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
sell it on ebay and get something else.

"richardman" <richardman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone please advise on a way to reduce/adjust the amount of system
> ram
> my nvidia geforce fx5200 is using please? it is a 128mb card but always
> shares 256mb of my total 1gb ddr2 system ram, which i would prefer to set
> 128mb sharing only. i am running vista ultimate oem, with intel duo core
> 2x2.80ghz, with dual displays @ 1440x900 resolution each.
> any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
> thanks!!

=?Utf-8?B?cmljaGFyZG1hbg==?=

Re: NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
well thanks for that, perhaps you could save yourself the effort of using
your keyboard next time you have something useless to say, and just keep it
to yourself.

"C.Skaggs" wrote:

> sell it on ebay and get something else.
>
> "richardman" <richardman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can anyone please advise on a way to reduce/adjust the amount of system
> > ram
> > my nvidia geforce fx5200 is using please? it is a 128mb card but always
> > shares 256mb of my total 1gb ddr2 system ram, which i would prefer to set
> > 128mb sharing only. i am running vista ultimate oem, with intel duo core
> > 2x2.80ghz, with dual displays @ 1440x900 resolution each.
> > any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
> > thanks!!

JW

Re: NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
AFAIK none of the 5xxx cards used shared system memory. If it is an AGP
card it probably just has an Aparature of 256MB which means that when data
is being transferred to it that it can work with a system memory buffer of
up to 256MB in size during a specific transfer.

"richardman" <richardman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone please advise on a way to reduce/adjust the amount of system
> ram
> my nvidia geforce fx5200 is using please? it is a 128mb card but always
> shares 256mb of my total 1gb ddr2 system ram, which i would prefer to set
> 128mb sharing only. i am running vista ultimate oem, with intel duo core
> 2x2.80ghz, with dual displays @ 1440x900 resolution each.
> any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
> thanks!!

DevilsPGD

Re: NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
In message <C4B176C3-91C7-4EEA-BCA0-4B2748B04262@microsoft.com>
richardman <richardman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>well thanks for that, perhaps you could save yourself the effort of using
>your keyboard next time you have something useless to say, and just keep it
>to yourself.

If the card is actually sharing RAM, that is the only correct response.
However, I don't believe that specific card does share system RAM...
--
Insert something clever here.
C.Skaggs

Re: NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
my bad. sorry.
ok, a turbo cache card uses system memory to augment it's meager onboard
slow vram.
the bad part is that since they didn't give it enough ram, it uses system
ram, across the bus. this creates problems with data bandwidth to the card,
and to the cpu from the system ram.
ideally a video card will have at least 256 megs of local ram available to
it, plus the aperture window.
my suggestion is to upgrade your video card. something like a geforce 6600
on up, avoiding the 7100 series.

> well thanks for that, perhaps you could save yourself the effort of using
> your keyboard next time you have something useless to say, and just keep
> it
> to yourself.
>
> "C.Skaggs" wrote:
>
>> sell it on ebay and get something else.
>>
>> "richardman" <richardman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > can anyone please advise on a way to reduce/adjust the amount of system
>> > ram
>> > my nvidia geforce fx5200 is using please? it is a 128mb card but always
>> > shares 256mb of my total 1gb ddr2 system ram, which i would prefer to
>> > set
>> > 128mb sharing only. i am running vista ultimate oem, with intel duo
>> > core
>> > 2x2.80ghz, with dual displays @ 1440x900 resolution each.
>> > any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
>> > thanks!!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBUdWxsb3M=?=

Re: NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
Stop guys... It's not about the card or onboard video memory you have, it's
about vista.

I have an NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS with 640MB GDDR3... My system is using
over 700 MB of system memory for shared graphics (thats in addition to the
640 onboard). I hate this! I have plenty of onboard graphics memory and vista
still sucks away my system memory like it's doing on everyone elses system
for shared graphics memory. Give him a legit answer! I need one too!

"C.Skaggs" wrote:

> my bad. sorry.
> ok, a turbo cache card uses system memory to augment it's meager onboard
> slow vram.
> the bad part is that since they didn't give it enough ram, it uses system
> ram, across the bus. this creates problems with data bandwidth to the card,
> and to the cpu from the system ram.
> ideally a video card will have at least 256 megs of local ram available to
> it, plus the aperture window.
> my suggestion is to upgrade your video card. something like a geforce 6600
> on up, avoiding the 7100 series.
>
> "richardman" <richardman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > well thanks for that, perhaps you could save yourself the effort of using
> > your keyboard next time you have something useless to say, and just keep
> > it
> > to yourself.
> >
> > "C.Skaggs" wrote:
> >
> >> sell it on ebay and get something else.

JW

Re: NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD USING RAM
I think you misunderstant what is happening. AFAIK your card is not hard
reserving any system memory for its use. What you are seeing is that is
that it may take "over 700MB" of your sytem memory at the instance in time
that you tranfer 700mb of data from system memory to card memory amd none
afterwords.

"John Tullos" <JohnTullos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Stop guys... It's not about the card or onboard video memory you have,
> it's
> about vista.
>
> I have an NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS with 640MB GDDR3... My system is using
> over 700 MB of system memory for shared graphics (thats in addition to the
> 640 onboard). I hate this! I have plenty of onboard graphics memory and
> vista
> still sucks away my system memory like it's doing on everyone elses system
> for shared graphics memory. Give him a legit answer! I need one too!
>
> "C.Skaggs" wrote:
>
>> my bad. sorry.
>> ok, a turbo cache card uses system memory to augment it's meager onboard
>> slow vram.
>> the bad part is that since they didn't give it enough ram, it uses system
>> ram, across the bus. this creates problems with data bandwidth to the
>> card,
>> and to the cpu from the system ram.
>> ideally a video card will have at least 256 megs of local ram available
>> it, plus the aperture window.
>> my suggestion is to upgrade your video card. something like a geforce
>> 6600
>> on up, avoiding the 7100 series.
>>
>> "richardman" <richardman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > well thanks for that, perhaps you could save yourself the effort of
>> > using
>> > your keyboard next time you have something useless to say, and just
>> > keep
>> > it
>> > to yourself.

corey