Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install

=?Utf-8?B?Zmxheno=?=

Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install
This past weekend i reformated my harddrive and installed windows vista home
prem.
the problem that iam getting is when restarting and turning on my monitor
does not turn on when windows starts up. i can hear the hard drives and
dvd-roms goin and doing there thing but nothing comes up on the monitor. once
i turn it off by holding down the power button and usually on the 2nd try of
turning on, the monitor turns on.
i have a 2 y/o dell desktop dim 8800 with a nvidia 256md graphics card.

are there any software diag. that i can do to test the boot process if it
even recognizes the monitor?

JW

Re: Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install
It may be a power supply or system Bios problem. be sure your BIOS is up to
date and you may want to set your BIOS to boot from your CD drive first in
order to delay slightly the time when the system tries to boot from you hard
drive.
"flazz" <flazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This past weekend i reformated my harddrive and installed windows vista
> home
> prem.
> the problem that iam getting is when restarting and turning on my monitor
> does not turn on when windows starts up. i can hear the hard drives and
> dvd-roms goin and doing there thing but nothing comes up on the monitor.
> once
> i turn it off by holding down the power button and usually on the 2nd try
> of
> turning on, the monitor turns on.
> i have a 2 y/o dell desktop dim 8800 with a nvidia 256md graphics card.
>
> are there any software diag. that i can do to test the boot process if it
> even recognizes the monitor?

C.Skaggs

Re: Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install
Have you installed the latest drivers for your video card?
Sounds like the videocard just isn't telling the monitor to turn on, if
it's not a hardware problem in your monitor.
Just to be thorough, you could remove and reseat your video card.
"flazz" <flazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This past weekend i reformated my harddrive and installed windows vista
> home
> prem.
> the problem that iam getting is when restarting and turning on my monitor
> does not turn on when windows starts up. i can hear the hard drives and
> dvd-roms goin and doing there thing but nothing comes up on the monitor.
> once
> i turn it off by holding down the power button and usually on the 2nd try
> of
> turning on, the monitor turns on.
> i have a 2 y/o dell desktop dim 8800 with a nvidia 256md graphics card.
>
> are there any software diag. that i can do to test the boot process if it
> even recognizes the monitor?

=?Utf-8?B?Zmxheno=?=

Re: Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install
Yes, i installed the drivers and windows recognized the card and installed
the drivers, i also installed the drivers for the monitor. but still the same
problem.

"C.Skaggs" wrote:

> Have you installed the latest drivers for your video card?
> Sounds like the videocard just isn't telling the monitor to turn on, if
> it's not a hardware problem in your monitor.
> Just to be thorough, you could remove and reseat your video card.
> "flazz" <flazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This past weekend i reformated my harddrive and installed windows vista
> > home
> > prem.
> > the problem that iam getting is when restarting and turning on my monitor
> > does not turn on when windows starts up. i can hear the hard drives and
> > dvd-roms goin and doing there thing but nothing comes up on the monitor.
> > once
> > i turn it off by holding down the power button and usually on the 2nd try
> > of
> > turning on, the monitor turns on.
> > i have a 2 y/o dell desktop dim 8800 with a nvidia 256md graphics card.
> >
> > are there any software diag. that i can do to test the boot process if it
> > even recognizes the monitor?

Giler

Re: Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install

I too have a similair problem ive got vista 64 with a core 2 duo e6800 a
xfx 8800gtx 2 gb of ddr2 dominator 1066mhz and 760 gig of hard disk
space. My problem is when i boot vista normally before the vista
windows sign appears the monitor turns off and says i have no signal.
So i took it to the shop they said it was a usb conflict fine i thought
i will plug them in 1 by 1 and see which 1 affects it, well it worked
for a week but yesterday i left the pc for a while and when i came
back the monitor is off, so i wiggled the mouse nothing so i reset the
pc and the monitor turned off. OK i know what to do take the usb's out
(well that didnt work) the monitor still turned off when vista is just
about to boot :S right so i though thats wierd i dont want to pay the
shop again to be told its a usb problem i will test it on my brother HD
tv it boots fine (ok thats really wierd) so i go back to my monitor and
try again the monitor turns off (arrgg) what am i doing wrong maybe the
monitor is broken? so i boot it in safe mode and it works fine so it
cant be the monitor. I uninstall the nvidia drivers and try again to my
amazement it boot so i got get the ONLY nvidia vista 64 drivers and re
start the machine and guess what? Yes you got it the monitor turns off,
so as you can tell ive just about had it with this pc and am asking for
help.

--
Giler
HDFatBoy2003

Re: Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install
Which drivers are you using for your GTX, there's a beta on nVidia's site
101.41. I have a GTS and not having any problems with it since the 100.65
drivers on Vista x64.

"Giler" <Giler.2n3w3a@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I too have a similair problem ive got vista 64 with a core 2 duo e6800 a
> xfx 8800gtx 2 gb of ddr2 dominator 1066mhz and 760 gig of hard disk
> space. My problem is when i boot vista normally before the vista
> windows sign appears the monitor turns off and says i have no signal.
> So i took it to the shop they said it was a usb conflict fine i thought
> i will plug them in 1 by 1 and see which 1 affects it, well it worked
> for a week but yesterday i left the pc for a while and when i came
> back the monitor is off, so i wiggled the mouse nothing so i reset the
> pc and the monitor turned off. OK i know what to do take the usb's out
> (well that didnt work) the monitor still turned off when vista is just
> about to boot :S right so i though thats wierd i dont want to pay the
> shop again to be told its a usb problem i will test it on my brother HD
> tv it boots fine (ok thats really wierd) so i go back to my monitor and
> try again the monitor turns off (arrgg) what am i doing wrong maybe the
> monitor is broken? so i boot it in safe mode and it works fine so it
> cant be the monitor. I uninstall the nvidia drivers and try again to my
> amazement it boot so i got get the ONLY nvidia vista 64 drivers and re
> start the machine and guess what? Yes you got it the monitor turns off,
> so as you can tell ive just about had it with this pc and am asking for
> help.
>

> --
> Giler

Giler

Re: Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install

Ive tried them all i even tried the 7900 series drivers as well as the
8800 beta drivers still no joy

--
Giler
=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

Re: Monitor Problems With Recent Vista Install
update your mother board bios, i have seen this problem with other o/s your
video card slot is not getting told to wake up at startup. updateing your
bios should fix the problem