sound card troubles

scott branam

sound card troubles
I bought a new computer and wanted to use my old sound card in the new
system. I installed the soundblaster X-Fi card and the system noticed the
card but the installation CD only works for XP. I went to creative's
website and downloaded their latest driver but it says that there is no
sound card present. I even tried to manually install the drivers off the CD
but all I got was a sound card that can handle either stereo or mono, but no
support for any sort of multi-speaker set up.

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: sound card troubles
? does your new system have on board sound,
If the answer is yes!!
Did you turn off on board sound in your systems bios before installing your
other sound card.
you should of also uninstalled drivers for on board sound and remove from
hardware management before installing your new sound card in your system.

this free's up the IRQ's your sound card will use. ( sound cards ) DO NOT
like to share irq's and will conflict ( not install) Not be seen refuse to
work. Stop your system from shutting down correctly.

Most sound cards like IRQ 5
good luck.

"scott branam" wrote:

> I bought a new computer and wanted to use my old sound card in the new
> system. I installed the soundblaster X-Fi card and the system noticed the
> card but the installation CD only works for XP. I went to creative's
> website and downloaded their latest driver but it says that there is no
> sound card present. I even tried to manually install the drivers off the CD
> but all I got was a sound card that can handle either stereo or mono, but no
> support for any sort of multi-speaker set up.

scott branam

Re: sound card troubles
I disabled the on board sound and then tried to install the latest drivers.
I got half way when the whole system crashed. I then started in safe mode
and reinstalled the drivers. The good news is that the card is recognized
by vista; the bad news is that the card refuses to make all my speakers
work. On my 5.1 speakers, when set to 5.1 it will not play any sound out of
the center,right front, or subwoofer. I moved my connections around but it
made the speakers play on the wrong signal and still not all of them would
play. I was worried about my speakers so I temporarily disabled the sound
card and rebooted to use the on board sound. My speakers are fine but
unless I hear about a fix I will only use my onboard sound