old pc

=?Utf-8?B?cmFuZGFsZWw=?=

old pc
my brother's company gave him an old hewlett-packard pc atleast ten yrs old
what can he do with it,besides trashing it?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: old pc
Place it in the attic...

=?Utf-8?B?cmFuZGFsZWw=?=

Re: old pc
thanks man

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Place it in the attic...

Someone

Re: old pc
doorstop ?

I'm sure we can keep this going....

"randalel" <randalel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my brother's company gave him an old hewlett-packard pc atleast ten yrs
> old
> what can he do with it,besides trashing it?

Steve Thackery

Re: old pc
Run ten year old software on it. I'm not being sarcastic - for instance, MS
Office 97 is regarded by many as something of a classic - focused and
functional with none of the later feature bloat. Paint Shop Pro was on the
browsing.

I'm sure others will suggest other software from ten years ago that will
work fine.

About the OS: if you can, get hold of a copy of Windows 98 SE and do a
complete reformat and reinstall. Right now that hard disk is going to be
seriously "dirty".

Steve

Richard G. Harper

Re: old pc
Not much, and they were pretty smart to shift the costs of disposal by
giving them away. :-(

"randalel" <randalel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my brother's company gave him an old hewlett-packard pc atleast ten yrs
> old
> what can he do with it,besides trashing it?

DC187

Re: old pc

Make a digital picture frame out of it, you could put it in a decent
frame and have a picture slide show running... 'Repair4Laptop: How to
Make a Digital Picture Frame - DPF from an Old Laptop or Notebook'
(http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_picture_frame.html)

--
DC187
Cymbal Man Freq.

Re: old pc
"randalel" <randalel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| my brother's company gave him an old hewlett-packard pc atleast ten yrs old
| what can he do with it,besides trashing it?

My computer is only 8 years old and I'm still posting here with it. Just got
another year of AV, I'd better send in for that rebate soon.

Got another computer here that's 10 years old, and I'm trying to find a larger
HDD for it (and it has no RAM left after booting up, just like Vista, lol). I
only intend to run one program on it for some external hardware that I've had
for 10 years. The older one can also play music CD's well, unlike this one I'm
on. Neither one is worth a damn for playing videos though.

Donate your old computer to Goodwill, or recycle it somehow (Goodwill may not
want it!).

Steve Urbach

Re: old pc
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 20:42:10 -0800, randalel
<randalel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>my brother's company gave him an old hewlett-packard pc atleast ten yrs old
>what can he do with it,besides trashing it?

As others have pointed out. "Clean Install" with all the patches there
were.

Use it as a:
"print server" ,
Simple file server (get a new drive if you do).

Best one I can think of if you have XPpro on your main box (or
office): Install Windows desktop connection CLIENT and use it as a
remote terminal. Even a W95b machine with a decent graphics (800x600>)
card works great for this. My wife was bed ridden after a hip
operation. A old notebook allowed access to the bulky desktop in her
hobby room from bed. (this notebook would choke on a MP3 playback it
was so under powered. 386-dx75 20M)

C.Skaggs

Re: old pc
you pay shipping, and i've got old drives you can have for the taking.

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:eaC1k0LYHHA.4368@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...