Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBG?=

Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys
My Computer:
MSI P6N SLI Platinum Motherboard (nForce 650i SLI)
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
OCZ Gold PC-5400 667MHz 2GB RAM (4 DIMMS)
BFG GeForce 7950 GT
Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (WD200)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD(WD74)
Samsung 400GB HD

Problem:

I have been trying to use the Windows Vista Complete PC Backup tool. I am
using the Samsung drive as the destination of the backup for the other two
drives. Whenever I backup the WD200 (contains Windows), it completes fine.
However, when I attempt back up the WD74 Raptor on SATA2, the computer
crashes with a Blue Screen of Death DRIVERL_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by
nvstor.sys. I have included all of the crash files provided by Windows that
are associated with the crash.

In order to resolve this problem I have already tried:

Using the version of the nForce drivers posted on MSI's website.
Using the version fo the current nForce drivers posted on nVidia's website
(15.00).
Performed a full format fot he WD74 Raptor, and reinstalled critical programs.
Reinstalled Windows Vista and attempted a backup from a clean Windows
installation with only necessary drivers installed and World of Warcraft on
the WD74.

Here is the problem reoprt that was sent off to MS: Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000002C
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 8078F3C4
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Is there any assistance that can be provided?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys
The issue is nvstor.sys. I'm checking to see if there are known issues with
this driver or an updated version somewhere. I hope to have an answer for
you soon.

"Eric F" <Eric F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Computer:
> MSI P6N SLI Platinum Motherboard (nForce 650i SLI)
> Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
> OCZ Gold PC-5400 667MHz 2GB RAM (4 DIMMS)
> BFG GeForce 7950 GT
> Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (WD200)
> Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD(WD74)
> Samsung 400GB HD
>
> Problem:
>
> I have been trying to use the Windows Vista Complete PC Backup tool. I am
> using the Samsung drive as the destination of the backup for the other
> two
> drives. Whenever I backup the WD200 (contains Windows), it completes
> fine.
> However, when I attempt back up the WD74 Raptor on SATA2, the computer
> crashes with a Blue Screen of Death DRIVERL_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused
> by
> nvstor.sys. I have included all of the crash files provided by Windows
> that
> are associated with the crash.
>
> In order to resolve this problem I have already tried:
>
> Using the version of the nForce drivers posted on MSI's website.
> Using the version fo the current nForce drivers posted on nVidia's website
> (15.00).
> Performed a full format fot he WD74 Raptor, and reinstalled critical
> programs.
> Reinstalled Windows Vista and attempted a backup from a clean Windows
> installation with only necessary drivers installed and World of Warcraft
> on
> the WD74.
>
> Here is the problem reoprt that was sent off to MS: Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Additional information about the problem:
> BCCode: d1
> BCP1: 0000002C
> BCP2: 00000002
> BCP3: 00000000
> BCP4: 8078F3C4
> OS Version: 6_0_6000
> Service Pack: 0_0
> Product: 256_1
>
> Is there any assistance that can be provided?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys
Can you email me the crash files (if they are small) or will you FTP them to
me for review? If yes, please contact me via my email address (minus
"online").

"Eric F" <Eric F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Computer:
> MSI P6N SLI Platinum Motherboard (nForce 650i SLI)
> Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
> OCZ Gold PC-5400 667MHz 2GB RAM (4 DIMMS)
> BFG GeForce 7950 GT
> Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (WD200)
> Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD(WD74)
> Samsung 400GB HD
>
> Problem:
>
> I have been trying to use the Windows Vista Complete PC Backup tool. I am
> using the Samsung drive as the destination of the backup for the other
> two
> drives. Whenever I backup the WD200 (contains Windows), it completes
> fine.
> However, when I attempt back up the WD74 Raptor on SATA2, the computer
> crashes with a Blue Screen of Death DRIVERL_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused
> by
> nvstor.sys. I have included all of the crash files provided by Windows
> that
> are associated with the crash.
>
> In order to resolve this problem I have already tried:
>
> Using the version of the nForce drivers posted on MSI's website.
> Using the version fo the current nForce drivers posted on nVidia's website
> (15.00).
> Performed a full format fot he WD74 Raptor, and reinstalled critical
> programs.
> Reinstalled Windows Vista and attempted a backup from a clean Windows
> installation with only necessary drivers installed and World of Warcraft
> on
> the WD74.
>
> Here is the problem reoprt that was sent off to MS: Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Additional information about the problem:
> BCCode: d1
> BCP1: 0000002C
> BCP2: 00000002
> BCP3: 00000000
> BCP4: 8078F3C4
> OS Version: 6_0_6000
> Service Pack: 0_0
> Product: 256_1
>
> Is there any assistance that can be provided?

Ted

nvstor.sys Crash
I am experiencing the same issue with Vista Home Prem.

D1 is also noted. I have also tried all of the available Nvidia updates with no result.

I am running a Dell Dimension E521
AMD Athalon X2 Dual 64 (in 32bit)
SATA Drives
2GB DDR RAM
GForce 6150 LE (Driver version 7 through 15 were tried)

Crash occurs at all times without notice and with no consistancy. Dump file is not available.

Hope this helps someone... I am dumping Vista, this relationship is getting abusive.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBG?=

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys
Yes, I will.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you email me the crash files (if they are small) or will you FTP them to
> me for review? If yes, please contact me via my email address (minus
> "online").

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Eric F" <Eric F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Computer:
> > MSI P6N SLI Platinum Motherboard (nForce 650i SLI)
> > Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
> > OCZ Gold PC-5400 667MHz 2GB RAM (4 DIMMS)
> > BFG GeForce 7950 GT
> > Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (WD200)
> > Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD(WD74)
> > Samsung 400GB HD
> >
> > Problem:
> >
> > I have been trying to use the Windows Vista Complete PC Backup tool. I am
> > using the Samsung drive as the destination of the backup for the other
> > two
> > drives. Whenever I backup the WD200 (contains Windows), it completes
> > fine.
> > However, when I attempt back up the WD74 Raptor on SATA2, the computer
> > crashes with a Blue Screen of Death DRIVERL_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused
> > by
> > nvstor.sys. I have included all of the crash files provided by Windows
> > that
> > are associated with the crash.
> >
> > In order to resolve this problem I have already tried:
> >
> > Using the version of the nForce drivers posted on MSI's website.
> > Using the version fo the current nForce drivers posted on nVidia's website
> > (15.00).
> > Performed a full format fot he WD74 Raptor, and reinstalled critical
> > programs.
> > Reinstalled Windows Vista and attempted a backup from a clean Windows
> > installation with only necessary drivers installed and World of Warcraft
> > on
> > the WD74.
> >
> > Here is the problem reoprt that was sent off to MS: Problem signature:
> > Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 1033
> >
> > Additional information about the problem:
> > BCCode: d1
> > BCP1: 0000002C
> > BCP2: 00000002
> > BCP3: 00000000
> > BCP4: 8078F3C4
> > OS Version: 6_0_6000
> > Service Pack: 0_0
> > Product: 256_1
> >
> > Is there any assistance that can be provided?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys
An update: this is bug in nvstor.sys. We are planning to release an updated
driver via Windows Update. I don't have an ETA though.

"Eric F" <EricF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news2EFB6EB-3744-4D35-8ACC-9E8047552EE9@microsoft.com...
> Yes, I will.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Can you email me the crash files (if they are small) or will you FTP them
>> me for review? If yes, please contact me via my email address (minus
>> "online").

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Eric F" <Eric F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My Computer:
>> > MSI P6N SLI Platinum Motherboard (nForce 650i SLI)
>> > Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
>> > OCZ Gold PC-5400 667MHz 2GB RAM (4 DIMMS)
>> > BFG GeForce 7950 GT
>> > Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (WD200)
>> > Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD(WD74)
>> > Samsung 400GB HD
>> >
>> > Problem:
>> >
>> > I have been trying to use the Windows Vista Complete PC Backup tool. I
>> > am
>> > using the Samsung drive as the destination of the backup for the other
>> > two
>> > drives. Whenever I backup the WD200 (contains Windows), it completes
>> > fine.
>> > However, when I attempt back up the WD74 Raptor on SATA2, the computer
>> > crashes with a Blue Screen of Death DRIVERL_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>> > caused
>> > by
>> > nvstor.sys. I have included all of the crash files provided by Windows
>> > that
>> > are associated with the crash.
>> >
>> > In order to resolve this problem I have already tried:
>> >
>> > Using the version of the nForce drivers posted on MSI's website.
>> > Using the version fo the current nForce drivers posted on nVidia's
>> > website
>> > (15.00).
>> > Performed a full format fot he WD74 Raptor, and reinstalled critical
>> > programs.
>> > Reinstalled Windows Vista and attempted a backup from a clean Windows
>> > installation with only necessary drivers installed and World of
>> > Warcraft
>> > on
>> > the WD74.
>> >
>> > Here is the problem reoprt that was sent off to MS: Problem signature:
>> > Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
>> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
>> > Locale ID: 1033
>> >
>> > Additional information about the problem:
>> > BCCode: d1
>> > BCP1: 0000002C
>> > BCP2: 00000002
>> > BCP3: 00000000
>> > BCP4: 8078F3C4
>> > OS Version: 6_0_6000
>> > Service Pack: 0_0
>> > Product: 256_1
>> >
>> > Is there any assistance that can be provided?

MRBULL

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys

I've just got the exact same blue screen 5 minutes ago.. but this as
nothing to do with backing up WD74 cuse i've backed up mine a few times
without any problems.

can anyone tell me where we can find the dump log files in vista? im
runing ultimate thanks..

--
MRBULL
MRBULL's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23771

http://forums.techarena.in

Dazi

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys
I am having the same problem! It is driving me nuts. It just crashes for no
reason and then I get the nvstor.sys message. When is there going to be a
fix for this? Does anyone know?
Dazi

"MRBULL" wrote:

> I've just got the exact same blue screen 5 minutes ago.. but this as
> nothing to do with backing up WD74 cuse i've backed up mine a few times
> without any problems.
>
> can anyone tell me where we can find the dump log files in vista? im
> runing ultimate thanks..
>

> --
> MRBULL
> MRBULL's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23771
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=699626
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

BeanerECMO

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys

WVU (Build 6000); 2.40 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core (2 installed);
3.7Gb (4Gb installed) RAM; ReadyBoost 4Gb; GeForce 8600 GTS w/ 256Mb,
and found the blue screen of death also upon attempting to backup the
computer using WVU - seems to quite around 39Gb (of ~90Gb) backup
point.

Is there any update that MS has put forward as apparently Mr. B says MS
recognizes it is a problem with nvstor.sys?:frown:

--
BeanerECMO
pittpanther

Re: Backup Tool causes Blue Screen of Death - nvstor.sys

I am also having the same issue with nvstor.sys - my Vista Backup
crashes (BSOD) midway through.

Does anyone have an update on this issue? In the meantime, is it
possible to temporarily disable this driver to successfully run the
backup? I actually tried to disable the nVidia Video driver (via
Device Management), followed by running the backup, but this failed as
well.

--
pittpanther
pittpanther's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26881