Vista keeps asking for driver for scanner

Phil

Vista keeps asking for driver for scanner
I got a new Canon Lide600f scanner, and loaded the drivers. Said that the
drivers wouldnt work, go to canon.com, did, got drivers, loaded, working....
Now - every time I boot up Vista demands drivers for "unknown device" I try
to select "do not do this again", or whatever the bottom one is, but it
wont. It just crashes and I have to close it the long way round. How to get
it to stop ?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista keeps asking for driver for scanner
Disconnect the scanner. Go to the Canon website, download the uninstall
utility... clean up all the remains of all Canon scanner software.

Reboot the PC.

Does the error still appear...? Hopefully not.

Now install the drivers and don't connect the scanner until the software
asks for it.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Phil" <philk001@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I got a new Canon Lide600f scanner, and loaded the drivers. Said that the
>drivers wouldnt work, go to canon.com, did, got drivers, loaded,
>working....
> Now - every time I boot up Vista demands drivers for "unknown device" I
> try to select "do not do this again", or whatever the bottom one is, but
> it wont. It just crashes and I have to close it the long way round. How to
> get it to stop ?

Phil

Re: Vista keeps asking for driver for scanner
Couldn't find ANY "uninstall utility" on Canon.co.uk
But will try uninstalling anyway.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Disconnect the scanner. Go to the Canon website, download the uninstall
> utility... clean up all the remains of all Canon scanner software.
>
> Reboot the PC.
>
> Does the error still appear...? Hopefully not.
>
> Now install the drivers and don't connect the scanner until the software
> asks for it.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Phil" <philk001@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I got a new Canon Lide600f scanner, and loaded the drivers. Said that the
>>drivers wouldnt work, go to canon.com, did, got drivers, loaded,
>>working....
>> Now - every time I boot up Vista demands drivers for "unknown device" I
>> try to select "do not do this again", or whatever the bottom one is, but
>> it wont. It just crashes and I have to close it the long way round. How
>> to get it to stop ?

Phil

Re: Vista keeps asking for driver for scanner
OK.
Tried that, and I believe it ISN'T the Canon after all but a small 4-port
usb hub I bought thats causing the irritation.
Only I dont know its home page, or how to get THAT to install - meanwhile
its running fine.
So, is there a way to get Vista to accept that ?
It wont allow me to tell it to ignore it next time either.
> Couldn't find ANY "uninstall utility" on Canon.co.uk
> But will try uninstalling anyway.
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Disconnect the scanner. Go to the Canon website, download the uninstall
>> utility... clean up all the remains of all Canon scanner software.
>>
>> Reboot the PC.
>>
>> Does the error still appear...? Hopefully not.
>>
>> Now install the drivers and don't connect the scanner until the software
>> asks for it.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Phil" <philk001@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I got a new Canon Lide600f scanner, and loaded the drivers. Said that the
>>>drivers wouldnt work, go to canon.com, did, got drivers, loaded,
>>>working....
>>> Now - every time I boot up Vista demands drivers for "unknown device" I
>>> try to select "do not do this again", or whatever the bottom one is, but
>>> it wont. It just crashes and I have to close it the long way round. How
>>> to get it to stop ?

Don

Phil wrote:
> OK.
> Tried that, and I believe it ISN'T the Canon after all but a small
> 4-port usb hub I bought thats causing the irritation.
> Only I dont know its home page, or how to get THAT to install -
> meanwhile its running fine...

Not sure what you mean by 'it'. From reading other posts about USB
devices I understand that not all USB devices work correctly in Vista,
even though they should (in theory).

I've seen others with USB hubs which don't work for reasons that are
not known. Perhaps buying a different brand of USB hub will fix your
problem, but it's a gamble. Best to buy from a store that will let
you return things if they don't work. Then keep trying until you
buy one that works with Vista. Then post your results here )
Phil

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Phil wrote:
>> OK.
>> Tried that, and I believe it ISN'T the Canon after all but a small
>> 4-port usb hub I bought thats causing the irritation.
>> Only I dont know its home page, or how to get THAT to install -
>> meanwhile its running fine...

> Not sure what you mean by 'it'. From reading other posts about USB
> devices I understand that not all USB devices work correctly in Vista,
> even though they should (in theory).
>
> I've seen others with USB hubs which don't work for reasons that are
> not known. Perhaps buying a different brand of USB hub will fix your
> problem, but it's a gamble. Best to buy from a store that will let
> you return things if they don't work. Then keep trying until you
> buy one that works with Vista. Then post your results here )

Oh, it works OK.
I noticed in device manager that theres TWO - but the thing is, there ISN'T.
I deleted one, and it came straight back on reboot.

Don

Phil wrote:

> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> I've seen others with USB hubs which don't work for reasons that are
>> not known...

> Oh, it works OK.
> I noticed in device manager that theres TWO - but the thing is, there
> ISN'T.
> I deleted one, and it came straight back on reboot.

Did you unplug the USB hub before deleting the device? Or at least
unplug it before rebooting?