Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeQ==?=

Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It seems
to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

Nut Cracker

Re: Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
I dont believe HOME is capable of working with 2 socketed processors. Dual
core, perhaps. but not 2 physicals.

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It
>seems
> to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

Kerry Brown

Re: Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
Home versions of XP and Vista are limited to one physical CPU with any
number of cores.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It
>seems
> to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

DevilsPGD

Re: Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
In message <8778F3D2-168C-4FF6-8FEB-AFA30AEE1D73@microsoft.com> Gary
<Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It seems
>to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

Neither of the Vista Home offerings support multiple processes. Multiple
cores are supported though.
--
Insert something clever here.
JW

Re: Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
I am surprised all of you have to copy each other with exactly the same
response which is correct. I epect that some of you are looking for browne
ponts at next weekw MVP confrerence in Remmonde for posting the most
repsonsed regardless of if they are duplicates are not of other responses.
I am surprised that not one of you poste the cause of the confusion to those
that upgarded to Vista Home Premium from MCE2005 was that the MCE 2005 was
based on XP pro which of courese does support multiple CPU chips wheraas as
XP home never has.

"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <8778F3D2-168C-4FF6-8FEB-AFA30AEE1D73@microsoft.com> Gary
> <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It
>>seems
>>to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

> Neither of the Vista Home offerings support multiple processes. Multiple
> cores are supported though.
> --
> Insert something clever here.

CrimLiar

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>I am surprised all of you have to copy each other with exactly the same
>response which is correct. I epect that some of you are looking for browne
>ponts at next weekw MVP confrerence in Remmonde for posting the most
>repsonsed regardless of if they are duplicates are not of other responses.
> I am surprised that not one of you poste the cause of the confusion to
> those that upgarded to Vista Home Premium from MCE2005 was that the MCE
> 2005 was based on XP pro which of courese does support multiple CPU chips
> wheraas as XP home never has.
>
> "DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
>> In message <8778F3D2-168C-4FF6-8FEB-AFA30AEE1D73@microsoft.com> Gary
>> <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It
>>>seems
>>>to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

>> Neither of the Vista Home offerings support multiple processes. Multiple
>> cores are supported though.
>> --
>> Insert something clever here.

I haven't read the licenses for the other versions of Vista Home but the X64
version of Vista Home Premium states:

"Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed
device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at
one time. You may not use the software on any other device."

That's in section 2a of the license agreement......

Crimliar

DevilsPGD

Re: Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
In message <O8Ic4cGYHHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> "JW" <nospam@no.spam>
wrote:

>I am surprised all of you have to copy each other with exactly the same
>response which is correct. I epect that some of you are looking for browne
>ponts at next weekw MVP confrerence in Remmonde for posting the most
>repsonsed regardless of if they are duplicates are not of other responses.

Not at all -- I typed my response before there were any posts, but the
message sat around in my Outbox for a while.

Feel free to killfile me if I'm that much of a problem to you.
--
Insert something clever here.
Kerry Brown

Re: Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
It appears JW is not familiar with how Usenet propagates.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> In message <O8Ic4cGYHHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> "JW" <nospam@no.spam>
> wrote:
>
>>I am surprised all of you have to copy each other with exactly the same
>>response which is correct. I epect that some of you are looking for
>>browne
>>ponts at next weekw MVP confrerence in Remmonde for posting the most
>>repsonsed regardless of if they are duplicates are not of other responses.

> Not at all -- I typed my response before there were any posts, but the
> message sat around in my Outbox for a while.
>
> Feel free to killfile me if I'm that much of a problem to you.
> --
> Insert something clever here.

JW

Re: Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium
You are correct I am not since I only use the MS sponsored newsgroups and if
wasn't for DevilsPGD posting getting stuck in his out box I would not have
commented the way I did.

In message <Ol$yrfQYHHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "JW" <nospam@no.spam>
wrote:

>You are correct I am not since I only use the MS sponsored newsgroups and if
>wasn't for DevilsPGD posting getting stuck in his out box I would not have
>commented the way I did.

I'm making a habit of firing off my Outbox a little more frequently, but
if I get distracted, it sometimes doesn't happen for a few hours. Or
days, should I write messages while I'm traveling, in a couple cases.

(I've been around since before the days when it mattered, when
propagation time was a significant factor, sometimes measured in days.
Heck, prior to that, I operating from a fidonet node and running the BBS
the fidonet node ran on, there was little use in posting anything before
the daily dialout)

Old habits die hard...
--
Insert something clever here.