Problems with WD My Book Home Edition

TBenjamin

Problems with WD My Book Home Edition
Please help me. I bought a brand new WD My Book Home Edition 500GB external
hard drive yesterday. Vista will not recongize it as a drive on the
computer. The computer sees that it is connected (in device manager and the
"ding-dong" you hear when you add a new device). I hooked it up with the
Firewire and the USB, with the same result. The drive is supposedly Vista
compatible. I downloaded the firewire drivers from WD. Since I cannot
access it as a drive, I cannot get to the setup.exe needed to use the drive.
Any ideas?
--
TBenjamin
peter

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition
control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management
does it show?? is it activated??

The Power button is inserted into two LED rings on the “binding edge”: the
external ring indicates power and disk activity and the other shows how much
data the drive currently stores. On the opposite side of the case there are
two FireWire 800, one FireWire 400 and one USB 2.0 port, a power connector,
and a Kensington lock hole.
peter

"TBenjamin" <TBenjamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me. I bought a brand new WD My Book Home Edition 500GB
> external
> hard drive yesterday. Vista will not recongize it as a drive on the
> computer. The computer sees that it is connected (in device manager and
> the
> "ding-dong" you hear when you add a new device). I hooked it up with the
> Firewire and the USB, with the same result. The drive is supposedly Vista
> compatible. I downloaded the firewire drivers from WD. Since I cannot
> access it as a drive, I cannot get to the setup.exe needed to use the
> drive.
> Any ideas?
> --
> TBenjamin

TBenjamin

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition
No the only drives showing up are the hard drives.
--
TBenjamin

"peter" wrote:

> control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management
> does it show?? is it activated??
>
> The Power button is inserted into two LED rings on the “binding edge”: the
> external ring indicates power and disk activity and the other shows how much
> data the drive currently stores. On the opposite side of the case there are
> two FireWire 800, one FireWire 400 and one USB 2.0 port, a power connector,
> and a Kensington lock hole.
> peter
>

> --
> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
>

> "TBenjamin" <TBenjamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help me. I bought a brand new WD My Book Home Edition 500GB
> > external
> > hard drive yesterday. Vista will not recongize it as a drive on the
> > computer. The computer sees that it is connected (in device manager and
> > the
> > "ding-dong" you hear when you add a new device). I hooked it up with the
> > Firewire and the USB, with the same result. The drive is supposedly Vista
> > compatible. I downloaded the firewire drivers from WD. Since I cannot
> > access it as a drive, I cannot get to the setup.exe needed to use the
> > drive.
> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > TBenjamin

Quaoar

TBenjamin wrote:
> Please help me. I bought a brand new WD My Book Home Edition 500GB external
> hard drive yesterday. Vista will not recongize it as a drive on the
> computer. The computer sees that it is connected (in device manager and the
> "ding-dong" you hear when you add a new device). I hooked it up with the
> Firewire and the USB, with the same result. The drive is supposedly Vista
> compatible. I downloaded the firewire drivers from WD. Since I cannot
> access it as a drive, I cannot get to the setup.exe needed to use the drive.
> Any ideas?

Wait one! You downloaded the latest drivers to your C: drive; the driver
install setup.exe is on your C: drive in the download folder you chose.
There is no reason that you cannot run the setup.exe for the new
drivers; these are installed on your host computer, not the external
drive. Disconnect the external drive before you run the setup program.

TBenjamin

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition
Yes, I have downloaded and setup the firewire drivers and the software that
comes with the drive from Western Digital. But the drive does not show up as
a drive in Windows Explorer or Computer. I can see that it is connected
under Device Manager, as an other device or as WD SAM, but not as a drive.
The properties for it say that it is connected in port LUN 0 or 1. What does
that mean?
--
TBenjamin

"Quaoar" wrote:

> TBenjamin wrote:
> > Please help me. I bought a brand new WD My Book Home Edition 500GB external
> > hard drive yesterday. Vista will not recongize it as a drive on the
> > computer. The computer sees that it is connected (in device manager and the
> > "ding-dong" you hear when you add a new device). I hooked it up with the
> > Firewire and the USB, with the same result. The drive is supposedly Vista
> > compatible. I downloaded the firewire drivers from WD. Since I cannot
> > access it as a drive, I cannot get to the setup.exe needed to use the drive.
> > Any ideas?

> Wait one! You downloaded the latest drivers to your C: drive; the driver
> install setup.exe is on your C: drive in the download folder you chose.
> There is no reason that you cannot run the setup.exe for the new
> drivers; these are installed on your host computer, not the external
> drive. Disconnect the external drive before you run the setup program.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition
Have you assigned it a drive letter in Disk Management?

> Yes, I have downloaded and setup the firewire drivers and the software
> that
> comes with the drive from Western Digital. But the drive does not show up
> as
> a drive in Windows Explorer or Computer. I can see that it is connected
> under Device Manager, as an other device or as WD SAM, but not as a drive.
> The properties for it say that it is connected in port LUN 0 or 1. What
> does
> that mean?
> --
> TBenjamin
>

> "Quaoar" wrote:
>
>> TBenjamin wrote:
>> > Please help me. I bought a brand new WD My Book Home Edition 500GB
>> > external
>> > hard drive yesterday. Vista will not recongize it as a drive on the
>> > computer. The computer sees that it is connected (in device manager
>> > and the
>> > "ding-dong" you hear when you add a new device). I hooked it up with
>> > the
>> > Firewire and the USB, with the same result. The drive is supposedly
>> > Vista
>> > compatible. I downloaded the firewire drivers from WD. Since I cannot
>> > access it as a drive, I cannot get to the setup.exe needed to use the
>> > drive.
>> > Any ideas?

>> Wait one! You downloaded the latest drivers to your C: drive; the driver
>> install setup.exe is on your C: drive in the download folder you chose.
>> There is no reason that you cannot run the setup.exe for the new
>> drivers; these are installed on your host computer, not the external
>> drive. Disconnect the external drive before you run the setup program.

TBenjamin

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition
No. The external hard drive does not show up in Disk Management, only in

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Have you assigned it a drive letter in Disk Management?
>
> "TBenjamin" <TBenjamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I have downloaded and setup the firewire drivers and the software
> > that
> > comes with the drive from Western Digital. But the drive does not show up
> > as
> > a drive in Windows Explorer or Computer. I can see that it is connected
> > under Device Manager, as an other device or as WD SAM, but not as a drive.
> > The properties for it say that it is connected in port LUN 0 or 1. What
> > does
> > that mean?
> > --
> > TBenjamin

> >> Wait one! You downloaded the latest drivers to your C: drive; the driver
> >> install setup.exe is on your C: drive in the download folder you chose.
> >> There is no reason that you cannot run the setup.exe for the new
> >> drivers; these are installed on your host computer, not the external
> >> drive. Disconnect the external drive before you run the setup program.

rjpbobp

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition

TBenjamine - I have been fighting MyBook / Vista problems for a couple
of weeks with MB support to no avail. Ran across a blog soomewhere this
AM that sez uninstall Goolge Toolbar - did it and I have a MB again -
then I installed the beta version of Toolbar and everything is still
fine - don't know if this applies to you, but it's worth a try.

thanx

Bob

--
rjpbobp
ivellios99

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition

I am having the same issue. My WD Prem. Ed. 2 1tb HD was working fine
with Vista for almost 1/2 a year now. This morning i tried to access a
file off the drive and it took forever, i tired to re-boot the computer
as it can get slow since it always on working on things. When i
re-booted the drive was missing and it could not find it. After a lot of
time working on the problem i have managed the WD RAID program to know
it is thier, but it says it is BAD and that the A drive is missing, but
the computer only sees the drive as WD SES Device. I tried connecting it
to my laptop (with Win XP) and the same issue is happening on it as
well. It normally worked fine on the laptop with XP before today as
well.

Please help! I have over 900gb of info i can not loose! (and paying for
a data recovery would SUCK!!!)

--
ivellios99
007dabomb

Re: Problems with WD My Book Home Edition

Any luck guys? I have the same problem as above. Don't know what
happened, the drive would not show in My Computer, I have tried it in 4
different computers with vista/xp. I can't access any of my data. Please
help if you have found a solution. I am using WD Home Edition 250gb. I
tried WD tech support, they are incompetent.

--
007dabomb
007dabomb's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/007dabomb.htm

http://forums.techarena.in