vob

will

vob
Does anyone know what a "failed to read from VOB file" means when backing up
a bought dvd and how to get around it? I am using DVD43 with Nero, but it
does the same thing with shrink, just takes longer.
Carlos

RE: vob
VOB stands for Video OBjetc file, i.e., the actual movie files.
Failed to read means that:
1.- Disc is dirty
2.- Disc is scratched
3.- Disc is copy protected
4.- There is a problem with the DVD reader

Note also that you cannot simply make 1 to 1 copies of your legally bought
disc because of the file encryption.
The backup software needs to decrypt the contents and then perform the copy
or the shrinking action.
I can recommend you DVDFab for backing up purposes (bypasses some copy
protections and also makes shrinking).
Works in both Vista x86 and x64.

Carlos
"will" wrote:

> Does anyone know what a "failed to read from VOB file" means when backing up
> a bought dvd and how to get around it? I am using DVD43 with Nero, but it
> does the same thing with shrink, just takes longer.

will

RE: vob
Thankyou Carlos, DVD43 does pretty much the same thing as DVDFab & ANYDVD &
CloneDVD but my problem is that it appears to be getting past the copy
protection and then failing to read. The disc is new, clean and unscratched.
That leaves me with the DVD reader as you said. Is there anything I can do
about that?

"Carlos" wrote:

> VOB stands for Video OBjetc file, i.e., the actual movie files.
> Failed to read means that:
> 1.- Disc is dirty
> 2.- Disc is scratched
> 3.- Disc is copy protected
> 4.- There is a problem with the DVD reader
>
> Note also that you cannot simply make 1 to 1 copies of your legally bought
> disc because of the file encryption.
> The backup software needs to decrypt the contents and then perform the copy
> or the shrinking action.
> I can recommend you DVDFab for backing up purposes (bypasses some copy
> protections and also makes shrinking).
> Works in both Vista x86 and x64.
>
> Carlos
> "will" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what a "failed to read from VOB file" means when backing up
> > a bought dvd and how to get around it? I am using DVD43 with Nero, but it
> > does the same thing with shrink, just takes longer.

roy69

Re: vob

it is a sony disk? DVD fabhd will decode it. DVDfabhd also has good
error handling. Does the DVD play ok?

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
Carlos

RE: vob
Will,
Try cleaning the laser lens with one of those "Cleaner CDs" available
elsewhere.
One thing I would do in order to discard DVD reader failure is to manually
copy the suspect VOB file from the DVD into a TEMP folder with Windows
Explorer.
Carlos

"will" wrote:

> Thankyou Carlos, DVD43 does pretty much the same thing as DVDFab & ANYDVD &
> CloneDVD but my problem is that it appears to be getting past the copy
> protection and then failing to read. The disc is new, clean and unscratched.
> That leaves me with the DVD reader as you said. Is there anything I can do
> about that?
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > VOB stands for Video OBjetc file, i.e., the actual movie files.
> > Failed to read means that:
> > 1.- Disc is dirty
> > 2.- Disc is scratched
> > 3.- Disc is copy protected
> > 4.- There is a problem with the DVD reader
> >
> > Note also that you cannot simply make 1 to 1 copies of your legally bought
> > disc because of the file encryption.
> > The backup software needs to decrypt the contents and then perform the copy
> > or the shrinking action.
> > I can recommend you DVDFab for backing up purposes (bypasses some copy
> > protections and also makes shrinking).
> > Works in both Vista x86 and x64.
> >
> > Carlos
> > "will" wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know what a "failed to read from VOB file" means when backing up
> > > a bought dvd and how to get around it? I am using DVD43 with Nero, but it
> > > does the same thing with shrink, just takes longer.

Dwarf

RE: vob
Hi will,

This is part of the anti-copying protection which is part of most, if not
all, commercial movie DVDs. This does not cause problems for normal playback
of the DVD, whether this is in a DVD player or through a computer, but it
will cause problems for those individuals who choose to copy them as it is
designed to stop 'pirating' which is a big problem for the movie studios.
There are sites on the web which claim to be able to do what you want, but I
am not prepared to assist you with this.
Dwarf

"will" wrote:

> Does anyone know what a "failed to read from VOB file" means when backing up
> a bought dvd and how to get around it? I am using DVD43 with Nero, but it
> does the same thing with shrink, just takes longer.

Tom Lake

Re: vob

"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> VOB stands for Video OBjetc file, i.e., the actual movie files.

> The backup software needs to decrypt the contents and then perform the
> copy
> or the shrinking action.

Why does it need to decrypt the file before copying it? Why can't it simply
copy
the original file bit-for-bit? That's one thing I've never understood about
DVDs.

Tom Lake

Carlos

Re: vob
Tom,
I share the same anger as you do.
By design a bit-by-bit copy to hard disk or DVD will render the copy
unplayable.
I guess it was meant to avoid piracy, punishing legal owners as usual (is
this an Universal constant?).
Luckily we have decrypters that allow you to do a legal backup or your legal
copy.

Another one that many in the USA are not aware: it is the "region" or "zone"
thingie.
The world is divided into 6 zones (or regions) and DVD's meant for one zone
won't play in a DVD or another zone.
Let's say I buy a zone 1 DVD in USA, that DVD cannot be played in a zone 4
DVD player (zone 4 is South America and I cannot recall the rest, maybe
Africa and/or Australia).
Luckily, again, we have "multizone" DVD players.

OSs have a built-in limitation on how many times you can change the zone.
Same applies to the DVD drives in PCs and the corresponding software players
(WinDVD, etc.).

Luckily, again, we have software that bypasses those limitations (AnyDVD,
etc.).

Happy playback!
Carlos

"Tom Lake" wrote:

> "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > VOB stands for Video OBjetc file, i.e., the actual movie files.

> > The backup software needs to decrypt the contents and then perform the
> > copy
> > or the shrinking action.

> Why does it need to decrypt the file before copying it? Why can't it simply
> copy
> the original file bit-for-bit? That's one thing I've never understood about
> DVDs.
>

> Tom Lake

will

Re: vob
Hi roy69. Yes the DVD does play fine and no it's not a sony disc.

"roy69" wrote:

> it is a sony disk? DVD fabhd will decode it. DVDfabhd also has good
> error handling. Does the DVD play ok?
>

> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
> - CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
> - Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU

will

RE: vob
Sensational Dwarf. I hope you feel superior now but as you know, it is a big
wide world out there and there are plenty of people who will assist me. But
thank you for your time, I know it was a big waste for you (and me).