InfraRed Remote Problem

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVu?=

InfraRed Remote Problem
Hi,

I just got Vista on a new laptop a few days ago. Last night I was using the
TV tuner for the first time and everything was working really nicely. The
remote controller was working with the internal consumer infrared receiver.
However, today this receiver doesn't pick up anything from the remote. When I
plug in the external USB receiver it works fine with the remote. I guess
that's fine, its just another thing I have to carry around with me. Does
anyone know why the internal one might have stopped working? Or how to fix it?

Thanks
Steven
BobS

Re: InfraRed Remote Problem
It may have not stopped - just confused. Different room conditions like
lighting, mirrors, window reflections can affect IR. Try the same thing
under that same conditions and time and see if it starts working again.

Bob S.

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just got Vista on a new laptop a few days ago. Last night I was using
> the
> TV tuner for the first time and everything was working really nicely. The
> remote controller was working with the internal consumer infrared
> receiver.
> However, today this receiver doesn't pick up anything from the remote.
> When I
> plug in the external USB receiver it works fine with the remote. I guess
> that's fine, its just another thing I have to carry around with me. Does
> anyone know why the internal one might have stopped working? Or how to fix
> it?
>
> Thanks
> Steven

CrimLiar

Re: InfraRed Remote Problem
"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just got Vista on a new laptop a few days ago. Last night I was using
> the
> TV tuner for the first time and everything was working really nicely. The
> remote controller was working with the internal consumer infrared
> receiver.
> However, today this receiver doesn't pick up anything from the remote.
> When I
> plug in the external USB receiver it works fine with the remote. I guess
> that's fine, its just another thing I have to carry around with me. Does
> anyone know why the internal one might have stopped working? Or how to fix
> it?
>
> Thanks
> Steven

This may sound dumb, but have you checked the batteries in the remote
control, I tend to find they quickly go flat if the remote gets sat on...

Crimliar

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVu?=

RE: InfraRed Remote Problem
Well, I figured it out. Windows automatically downloaded some new drivers for
the built-in webcam and also the IR receiver. These new drivers caused both
of these devices to stop working. So I rolled back the drivers and now they
work fine again. But it does make you wonder about the auto-updates.

Steven