Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 error

Xenor

Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 error
All,
I have a home built Vista Ultimate machine which I am attempting to setup
in a "remote" location in my house with wireless. The plan is to utilize a
Linksys Draft N PCMCIA card (Model WPC4400N) in a Rosewill PCMCIA to PCI card
installed in my machine. I have already tested the WPC4400N in my laptop and
it works fine. The Rosewill PCMCIA to PCI card also appears to install
without any issues. (I do not have any other PCMCIA cards available to
test...) However, when windows detects the device and installs drivers
(either using Windows update or a manually) it does not work. There is a
Code 10 error on the Properties page in the Device manager. Problem Report
details are as follow:

Product
Wireless-N Business Notebook Adapter

Problem
Could not load driver software

Date
1/22/2008 1:00 PM

Status
Report Sent

Description
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the
driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code
is 10.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
Architecture: x86
Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_00651737&REV_03
Setup class GUID: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
PnP problem code: 0000000A
Driver name: NETMW145.sys
Driver version: 2.1.4.3
Driver date: 01-08-2008
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
DMIBB92.tmp.log.xml
LOGBBE1.tmp
oem12.inf

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 157734319

I'm fairly tech savvy, but once again generic/cross device error codes with
little detail have left me stuck. I have mucked around with PCI settings in
my BIOS to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for
your assistance.
Xenor

RE: Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 error
Solved my own problem. Deleted the infcache.1 file in \Windows\Inf

Maybe MS should auto check this file for corruption.....d

"Xenor" wrote:

> All,
> I have a home built Vista Ultimate machine which I am attempting to setup
> in a "remote" location in my house with wireless. The plan is to utilize a
> Linksys Draft N PCMCIA card (Model WPC4400N) in a Rosewill PCMCIA to PCI card
> installed in my machine. I have already tested the WPC4400N in my laptop and
> it works fine. The Rosewill PCMCIA to PCI card also appears to install
> without any issues. (I do not have any other PCMCIA cards available to
> test...) However, when windows detects the device and installs drivers
> (either using Windows update or a manually) it does not work. There is a
> Code 10 error on the Properties page in the Device manager. Problem Report
> details are as follow:
>
> Product
> Wireless-N Business Notebook Adapter
>
> Problem
> Could not load driver software
>
> Date
> 1/22/2008 1:00 PM
>
> Status
> Report Sent
>
> Description
> Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the
> driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code
> is 10.
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
> Architecture: x86
> Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_00651737&REV_03
> Setup class GUID: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
> PnP problem code: 0000000A
> Driver name: NETMW145.sys
> Driver version: 2.1.4.3
> Driver date: 01-08-2008
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
> DMIBB92.tmp.log.xml
> LOGBBE1.tmp
> oem12.inf
>
> Extra information about the problem
> Bucket ID: 157734319
>
> I'm fairly tech savvy, but once again generic/cross device error codes with
> little detail have left me stuck. I have mucked around with PCI settings in
> my BIOS to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for
> your assistance.

JohnBuk [MSFT]

RE: Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 erro
Hello,

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. Did the infcache.1 file get
recreated after it was deleted? If not, if you you may want to consider
reading the following article which addresses corruption and deletion of the
infcache.1 file. The file will be needed for future installation of other
devices.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=937187

John

I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not my employers.

Speaking for myself only.

"Xenor" wrote:

> Solved my own problem. Deleted the infcache.1 file in \Windows\Inf
>
> Maybe MS should auto check this file for corruption.....d
>
> "Xenor" wrote:
>
> > All,
> > I have a home built Vista Ultimate machine which I am attempting to setup
> > in a "remote" location in my house with wireless. The plan is to utilize a
> > Linksys Draft N PCMCIA card (Model WPC4400N) in a Rosewill PCMCIA to PCI card
> > installed in my machine. I have already tested the WPC4400N in my laptop and
> > it works fine. The Rosewill PCMCIA to PCI card also appears to install
> > without any issues. (I do not have any other PCMCIA cards available to
> > test...) However, when windows detects the device and installs drivers
> > (either using Windows update or a manually) it does not work. There is a
> > Code 10 error on the Properties page in the Device manager. Problem Report
> > details are as follow:
> >
> > Product
> > Wireless-N Business Notebook Adapter
> >
> > Problem
> > Could not load driver software
> >
> > Date
> > 1/22/2008 1:00 PM
> >
> > Status
> > Report Sent
> >
> > Description
> > Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the
> > driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code
> > is 10.
> >
> > Problem signature
> > Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
> > Architecture: x86
> > Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_00651737&REV_03
> > Setup class GUID: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
> > PnP problem code: 0000000A
> > Driver name: NETMW145.sys
> > Driver version: 2.1.4.3
> > Driver date: 01-08-2008
> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 1033
> >
> > Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
> > DMIBB92.tmp.log.xml
> > LOGBBE1.tmp
> > oem12.inf
> >
> > Extra information about the problem
> > Bucket ID: 157734319
> >
> > I'm fairly tech savvy, but once again generic/cross device error codes with
> > little detail have left me stuck. I have mucked around with PCI settings in
> > my BIOS to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for
> > your assistance.

Xenor

RE: Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 erro
John,
I have faced this problem again in a new machine build. Ultimately, I
think that the folks doing the install of network drivers aren't cleaning up
after themselves. I've found that by manually removing some of the profiles
in the registry helps to clear the path for a clean install. It even
requires removing a service that is created by thy wireless networking
driver. I'm not sure who is to "blame" for it, but after searching various
forums, it seems like many users of various Draft-N network adapters have
problems. The common thread seems to be the Marvell TOPDOG chipset which
various vendors use. Not sure if this is your area, but I'd like to pass on
what I've learned to someone at Microsoft who could be working on a fix for
this..

"JohnBuk [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Architecture: x86
> > > Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_00651737&REV_03
> > > Setup class GUID: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
> > > PnP problem code: 0000000A
> > > Driver name: NETMW145.sys
> > > Driver version: 2.1.4.3
> > > Driver date: 01-08-2008
> > > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > > Locale ID: 1033
> > >
> > > Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
> > > DMIBB92.tmp.log.xml
> > > LOGBBE1.tmp
> > > oem12.inf
> > >
> > > Extra information about the problem
> > > Bucket ID: 157734319
> > >
> > > I'm fairly tech savvy, but once again generic/cross device error codes with
> > > little detail have left me stuck. I have mucked around with PCI settings in
> > > my BIOS to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for

Pavel A.

Re: Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 erro
Error code 10 means that the driver failed during startup.
Usually the driver leaves a message in the System event log that
is heplful to understand why. Have you checked the event log?

--PA

"Xenor" <Xenor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> John,
> I have faced this problem again in a new machine build. Ultimately, I
> think that the folks doing the install of network drivers aren't cleaning
> up
> after themselves. I've found that by manually removing some of the
> profiles
> in the registry helps to clear the path for a clean install. It even
> requires removing a service that is created by thy wireless networking
> driver. I'm not sure who is to "blame" for it, but after searching
> various
> forums, it seems like many users of various Draft-N network adapters have
> problems. The common thread seems to be the Marvell TOPDOG chipset which
> various vendors use. Not sure if this is your area, but I'd like to pass
> on
> what I've learned to someone at Microsoft who could be working on a fix
> for
> this..
>
> "JohnBuk [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. Did the infcache.1 file
>> get
>> recreated after it was deleted? If not, if you you may want to consider
>> reading the following article which addresses corruption and deletion of
>> the
>> infcache.1 file. The file will be needed for future installation of
>> other
>> devices.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=937187
>>
>> John
>>
>> I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not my employers.
>> rights.

>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>

>> "Xenor" wrote:
>>
>> > Solved my own problem. Deleted the infcache.1 file in \Windows\Inf
>> >
>> > Maybe MS should auto check this file for corruption.....d

Xenor

Re: Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 erro
I'm not sure. I just a scan for it, but couldn't find it. Does it matter
that I get the error code when trying to install a driver. Do I need to turn
on more verbose logging. My understanding was that driver installs acutally
were written to the files "setupapi.app" and "setupapi.dev". I'll see if I
can track down the full error code if you're interested...

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Error code 10 means that the driver failed during startup.
> Usually the driver leaves a message in the System event log that
> is heplful to understand why. Have you checked the event log?
>
> --PA
>

> "Xenor" <Xenor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > John,
> > I have faced this problem again in a new machine build. Ultimately, I
> > think that the folks doing the install of network drivers aren't cleaning
> > up
> > after themselves. I've found that by manually removing some of the
> > profiles
> > in the registry helps to clear the path for a clean install. It even
> > requires removing a service that is created by thy wireless networking
> > driver. I'm not sure who is to "blame" for it, but after searching
> > various
> > forums, it seems like many users of various Draft-N network adapters have
> > problems. The common thread seems to be the Marvell TOPDOG chipset which
> > various vendors use. Not sure if this is your area, but I'd like to pass
> > on
> > what I've learned to someone at Microsoft who could be working on a fix
> > for
> > this..
> >
> > "JohnBuk [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. Did the infcache.1 file
> >> get
> >> recreated after it was deleted? If not, if you you may want to consider
> >> reading the following article which addresses corruption and deletion of
> >> the
> >> infcache.1 file. The file will be needed for future installation of
> >> other
> >> devices.

> >> John
> >>
> >> I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not my employers.
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> rights.

Pavel A.

Re: Problems with PCMCIA network card and the dreaded Code 10 erro
Yep. Vista has lots of various logs, so confusing.
But in this case you need just the old good eventlog (run eventvwr)