IBM THINKPAD R40 NETWORK CONTROLLER: MISSING ETHERNET DRIVER

Mr. R40

IBM THINKPAD R40 NETWORK CONTROLLER: MISSING ETHERNET DRIVER
Help!
I own the IBM Thinkpad R40 notebook and recently installed Windows Vista
Home Premium. I cannot connect to the internet as I do not have a compatible
Ethernet driver. Under Device Manager in Control Panel, I have 2 Yellow
Exclamation Points in 'Other Devices': Network Controller and Unknown Device.
Does anyone have the Vista compatible ethernet driver that allows the R40
laptop to connect to DSL either wirelessly or via LAN?

I tried the IBM site for drivers and contacted IBM Support 4 times to no
avail.
Richard G. Harper

Re: IBM THINKPAD R40 NETWORK CONTROLLER: MISSING ETHERNET DRIVER
If anyone has the drivers it will be the IBM web site, if they are not there
then it's quite likely they don't exist anywhere.

"Mr. R40" <Mr. R40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help!
> I own the IBM Thinkpad R40 notebook and recently installed Windows Vista
> Home Premium. I cannot connect to the internet as I do not have a
> compatible
> Ethernet driver. Under Device Manager in Control Panel, I have 2 Yellow
> Exclamation Points in 'Other Devices': Network Controller and Unknown
> Device.
> Does anyone have the Vista compatible ethernet driver that allows the R40
> laptop to connect to DSL either wirelessly or via LAN?
>
> I tried the IBM site for drivers and contacted IBM Support 4 times to no
> avail.

Mr. R40

Re: IBM THINKPAD R40 NETWORK CONTROLLER: MISSING ETHERNET DRIVER
They don't exist. I tried: migr-46024, migr-67256, migr-67255

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> If anyone has the drivers it will be the IBM web site, if they are not there
> then it's quite likely they don't exist anywhere.

> "Mr. R40" <Mr. R40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help!
> > I own the IBM Thinkpad R40 notebook and recently installed Windows Vista
> > Home Premium. I cannot connect to the internet as I do not have a
> > compatible
> > Ethernet driver. Under Device Manager in Control Panel, I have 2 Yellow
> > Exclamation Points in 'Other Devices': Network Controller and Unknown
> > Device.
> > Does anyone have the Vista compatible ethernet driver that allows the R40
> > laptop to connect to DSL either wirelessly or via LAN?
> >
> > I tried the IBM site for drivers and contacted IBM Support 4 times to no
> > avail.

Richard G. Harper

Re: IBM THINKPAD R40 NETWORK CONTROLLER: MISSING ETHERNET DRIVER
Well, sorry then; that would be it.

> They don't exist. I tried: migr-46024, migr-67256, migr-67255
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> If anyone has the drivers it will be the IBM web site, if they are not
>> there
>> then it's quite likely they don't exist anywhere.

>> "Mr. R40" <Mr. R40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Help!
>> > I own the IBM Thinkpad R40 notebook and recently installed Windows
>> > Vista
>> > Home Premium. I cannot connect to the internet as I do not have a
>> > compatible
>> > Ethernet driver. Under Device Manager in Control Panel, I have 2 Yellow
>> > Exclamation Points in 'Other Devices': Network Controller and Unknown
>> > Device.
>> > Does anyone have the Vista compatible ethernet driver that allows the
>> > R40
>> > laptop to connect to DSL either wirelessly or via LAN?
>> >
>> > I tried the IBM site for drivers and contacted IBM Support 4 times to
>> > no
>> > avail.

John

Re: IBM THINKPAD R40 NETWORK CONTROLLER: MISSING ETHERNET DRIVER
Try using the Lenovo XP drivers. Be sure you set the install.exe (there may
be two installs--one unpacks, the next installs) to XP Compatibility in the
Properties dialog. Then run everything (there may be two steps to the
install) as Administrator.