USB devides not being recognised by vista

tina

USB devides not being recognised by vista
hi!
i have Vista home premium and its been running fine until i try to use USB
devices..it chooses when to recognise them.. i have a 250gb external hard
drive that when i plug it into any of the 3 USB ports on my computer nothing
happens (no noise to say its connected , no autoplay or the drive name doesnt
appear in the computer section) there have been occasions where the device
connects as i hear the little sound that is heard when you connect a device
but nothing appears so i cant physically access the device. this also happens
when i plug in my internet..i plug the ethernet cable and the USB cable from
the modem to the laptop (which i have done many times before and have had no
problems) and nothing happens i cant get ointo the internet. the only way
that i can sometimes connect (incuding this time!) is if i restart the
computer. i have done this when trying to connect any of my devices and there
is about 1 in 3 chance it connects.

ive gone into the device manager in window and clicked on all of the ports
which say they are working fine. but have also plugged the devices into other
computers and have no problems.

is there any way of scanning the USBports or does anyone know how i can fix
this and connect my devices without having to restart time and time again???

thank you very much!!!!!
mikeyhsd

Re: USB devides not being recognised by vista
you might try using Device Manager and REMOVE the USB ports.
power down the computer, wait 3-5 minutes.
power it back up and allow vista to find and install the usb ports, then give the drive a try again.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"tina" <tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F53DF59-2CE2-42C3-B31B-5B563D3AEAE2@microsoft.com...
[...]

thank you very much for your reply!!!!!!! ill try your advice!!!

Tina

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> you might try using Device Manager and REMOVE the USB ports.
> power down the computer, wait 3-5 minutes.
> power it back up and allow vista to find and install the usb ports, then give the drive a try again.
>

> mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com
>

> "tina" <tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F53DF59-2CE2-42C3-B31B-5B563D3AEAE2@microsoft.com...
> hi!
> i have Vista home premium and its been running fine until i try to use USB
> devices..it chooses when to recognise them.. i have a 250gb external hard
> drive that when i plug it into any of the 3 USB ports on my computer nothing
> happens (no noise to say its connected , no autoplay or the drive name doesnt
> appear in the computer section) there have been occasions where the device
> connects as i hear the little sound that is heard when you connect a device
> but nothing appears so i cant physically access the device. this also happens
> when i plug in my internet..i plug the ethernet cable and the USB cable from
> the modem to the laptop (which i have done many times before and have had no
> problems) and nothing happens i cant get ointo the internet. the only way
> that i can sometimes connect (incuding this time!) is if i restart the
> computer. i have done this when trying to connect any of my devices and there
> is about 1 in 3 chance it connects.
>
> ive gone into the device manager in window and clicked on all of the ports
> which say they are working fine. but have also plugged the devices into other
> computers and have no problems.
>
> is there any way of scanning the USBports or does anyone know how i can fix
> this and connect my devices without having to restart time and time again???
>
> thank you very much!!!!!

mikeyhsd

Re: USB devides not being recognised by vista
has worked for many usb problems, but not all.

good luck.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> you might try using Device Manager and REMOVE the USB ports.
> power down the computer, wait 3-5 minutes.
> power it back up and allow vista to find and install the usb ports, then give the drive a try again.
>

> mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com
>

> "tina" <tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F53DF59-2CE2-42C3-B31B-5B563D3AEAE2@microsoft.com...
> hi!
> i have Vista home premium and its been running fine until i try to use USB
> devices..it chooses when to recognise them.. i have a 250gb external hard
> drive that when i plug it into any of the 3 USB ports on my computer nothing
> happens (no noise to say its connected , no autoplay or the drive name doesnt
> appear in the computer section) there have been occasions where the device
> connects as i hear the little sound that is heard when you connect a device
> but nothing appears so i cant physically access the device. this also happens
> when i plug in my internet..i plug the ethernet cable and the USB cable from
> the modem to the laptop (which i have done many times before and have had no
> problems) and nothing happens i cant get ointo the internet. the only way
> that i can sometimes connect (incuding this time!) is if i restart the
> computer. i have done this when trying to connect any of my devices and there
> is about 1 in 3 chance it connects.
>
> ive gone into the device manager in window and clicked on all of the ports
> which say they are working fine. but have also plugged the devices into other
> computers and have no problems.
>
> is there any way of scanning the USBports or does anyone know how i can fix
> this and connect my devices without having to restart time and time again???
>
> thank you very much!!!!!

John Lechmanik

Re: USB devides not being recognised by vista
You might also search the microsoft support page and find the hotfix for usb
problems. It solved all my USB problems.....\

--
John

"tina" <tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi!
> i have Vista home premium and its been running fine until i try to use USB
> devices..it chooses when to recognise them.. i have a 250gb external hard
> drive that when i plug it into any of the 3 USB ports on my computer
> nothing
> happens (no noise to say its connected , no autoplay or the drive name
> doesnt
> appear in the computer section) there have been occasions where the device
> connects as i hear the little sound that is heard when you connect a
> device
> but nothing appears so i cant physically access the device. this also
> happens
> when i plug in my internet..i plug the ethernet cable and the USB cable
> from
> the modem to the laptop (which i have done many times before and have had
> no
> problems) and nothing happens i cant get ointo the internet. the only way
> that i can sometimes connect (incuding this time!) is if i restart the
> computer. i have done this when trying to connect any of my devices and
> there
> is about 1 in 3 chance it connects.
>
> ive gone into the device manager in window and clicked on all of the ports
> which say they are working fine. but have also plugged the devices into
> other
> computers and have no problems.
>
> is there any way of scanning the USBports or does anyone know how i can
> fix
> this and connect my devices without having to restart time and time
> again???
>
> thank you very much!!!!!

Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB devides not being recognised by vista
Do you mean this?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600

"John Lechmanik" <j_lechmanik@REMOVEMEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> You might also search the microsoft support page and find the hotfix for
> usb problems. It solved all my USB problems.....\
>

> --
> John
>

> "tina" <tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hi!
>> i have Vista home premium and its been running fine until i try to use
>> USB
>> devices..it chooses when to recognise them.. i have a 250gb external hard
>> drive that when i plug it into any of the 3 USB ports on my computer
>> nothing
>> happens (no noise to say its connected , no autoplay or the drive name
>> doesnt
>> appear in the computer section) there have been occasions where the
>> device
>> connects as i hear the little sound that is heard when you connect a
>> device
>> but nothing appears so i cant physically access the device. this also
>> happens
>> when i plug in my internet..i plug the ethernet cable and the USB cable
>> from
>> the modem to the laptop (which i have done many times before and have had
>> no
>> problems) and nothing happens i cant get ointo the internet. the only way
>> that i can sometimes connect (incuding this time!) is if i restart the
>> computer. i have done this when trying to connect any of my devices and
>> there
>> is about 1 in 3 chance it connects.
>>
>> ive gone into the device manager in window and clicked on all of the
>> ports
>> which say they are working fine. but have also plugged the devices into
>> other
>> computers and have no problems.
>>
>> is there any way of scanning the USBports or does anyone know how i can
>> fix
>> this and connect my devices without having to restart time and time
>> again???
>>
>> thank you very much!!!!!

John Lechmanik

Re: USB devides not being recognised by vista
No actually it was this one.....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/en-us

This enabled it to recognize my USB devices and install the proper drivers.

--
John

To reply direct, remove the REMOVEME in the signature.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news1FCB5E9-9754-44E6-8D9D-10C164150D2C@microsoft.com...
> Do you mean this?
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600
>
> "John Lechmanik" <j_lechmanik@REMOVEMEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> You might also search the microsoft support page and find the hotfix for
>> usb problems. It solved all my USB problems.....\
>>

>> --
>> John
>>

>> "tina" <tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> hi!
>>> i have Vista home premium and its been running fine until i try to use
>>> USB
>>> devices..it chooses when to recognise them.. i have a 250gb external
>>> hard
>>> drive that when i plug it into any of the 3 USB ports on my computer
>>> nothing
>>> happens (no noise to say its connected , no autoplay or the drive name
>>> doesnt
>>> appear in the computer section) there have been occasions where the
>>> device
>>> connects as i hear the little sound that is heard when you connect a
>>> device
>>> but nothing appears so i cant physically access the device. this also
>>> happens
>>> when i plug in my internet..i plug the ethernet cable and the USB cable
>>> from
>>> the modem to the laptop (which i have done many times before and have
>>> had no
>>> problems) and nothing happens i cant get ointo the internet. the only
>>> way
>>> that i can sometimes connect (incuding this time!) is if i restart the
>>> computer. i have done this when trying to connect any of my devices and
>>> there
>>> is about 1 in 3 chance it connects.
>>>
>>> ive gone into the device manager in window and clicked on all of the
>>> ports
>>> which say they are working fine. but have also plugged the devices into
>>> other
>>> computers and have no problems.
>>>
>>> is there any way of scanning the USBports or does anyone know how i can
>>> fix
>>> this and connect my devices without having to restart time and time
>>> again???
>>>
>>> thank you very much!!!!!

Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB devides not being recognised by vista
Good. You should provide the link when you reference it.