Installing Correct Video Drivers Disables 3D Functions

GavinC

Installing Correct Video Drivers Disables 3D Functions
I've tried two different graphics card, bot of which to be Vista Compatible.
One was a ATI Radeon X1950XTX AGP Card, then second is a Radeon X2600 HD AGP
Card, the latter being a DirectX 10 Card. Both cards worked ok when using the
standard Vista drivers, however gaming performance was terrible. Updating
either card to the latest Vista drivers resulted in the loss of all 3d
functionality. I ran dxdiag, under the dispaly tab I see the following:

DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

This means Aero is disabled, but more importantly I can't run any games, as
an error something like No 3D Device Available appears.

Can anyone help me please?
kamangir

RE: Installing Correct Video Drivers Disables 3D Functions
I have exact the same problem
my card is X800 AGP Card from Asus

what I have found by testing lots of driver is that this version works:
ati8391_Vista32(whql)

all other versions disables directdraw and AGP texture acceleration.
have not found any other solution to this.. and would appreaciate any fix
and workaround for the newer drivers..

"GavinC" wrote:

> I've tried two different graphics card, bot of which to be Vista Compatible.
> One was a ATI Radeon X1950XTX AGP Card, then second is a Radeon X2600 HD AGP
> Card, the latter being a DirectX 10 Card. Both cards worked ok when using the
> standard Vista drivers, however gaming performance was terrible. Updating
> either card to the latest Vista drivers resulted in the loss of all 3d
> functionality. I ran dxdiag, under the dispaly tab I see the following:
>
> DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available
> Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
> AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available
>
> This means Aero is disabled, but more importantly I can't run any games, as
> an error something like No 3D Device Available appears.
>
> Can anyone help me please?

Dustin Harper

Re: Installing Correct Video Drivers Disables 3D Functions
Are you using the drivers from http://ati.amd.com? Or from the Asus site?

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"kamangir" <kamangir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have exact the same problem
> my card is X800 AGP Card from Asus
>
> what I have found by testing lots of driver is that this version works:
> ati8391_Vista32(whql)
>
> all other versions disables directdraw and AGP texture acceleration.
> have not found any other solution to this.. and would appreaciate any fix
> and workaround for the newer drivers..
>

> "GavinC" wrote:
>
>> I've tried two different graphics card, bot of which to be Vista
>> Compatible.
>> One was a ATI Radeon X1950XTX AGP Card, then second is a Radeon X2600 HD
>> AGP
>> Card, the latter being a DirectX 10 Card. Both cards worked ok when using
>> the
>> standard Vista drivers, however gaming performance was terrible. Updating
>> either card to the latest Vista drivers resulted in the loss of all 3d
>> functionality. I ran dxdiag, under the dispaly tab I see the following:
>>
>> DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available
>> Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
>> AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available
>>
>> This means Aero is disabled, but more importantly I can't run any games,
>> as
>> an error something like No 3D Device Available appears.
>>
>> Can anyone help me please?

kamangir

Re: Installing Correct Video Drivers Disables 3D Functions
at the moment I'm using asus but I belive I also tested ati with the same
version and that also worked..