HP Photosmart 4200 won't scan...

AmandaT

HP Photosmart 4200 won't scan...

I have an HP Photosmart 4200 printer that will print, but will not scan.
When I press the 'scan' button, the LCD screen gives an error message
stating that the USB is not connected. Given that the printer prints
things just fine, this makes no sense to me. I received my computer as
a gift this past Christmas with Vista Home already installed, and do not
know if I have the 64-bit or 32-bit version.

Any help with figuring this out is much appreciated!!!

--
AmandaT
David B.

Re: HP Photosmart 4200 won't scan...
Have you installed the latest drivers for the unit from HP? Have you
contacted HP technical support?

--

----

"AmandaT" <AmandaT.33lb90@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have an HP Photosmart 4200 printer that will print, but will not scan.
> When I press the 'scan' button, the LCD screen gives an error message
> stating that the USB is not connected. Given that the printer prints
> things just fine, this makes no sense to me. I received my computer as
> a gift this past Christmas with Vista Home already installed, and do not
> know if I have the 64-bit or 32-bit version.
>
> Any help with figuring this out is much appreciated!!!
>

> --
> AmandaT

dgmacmi

Re: HP Photosmart 4200 won't scan...
"AmandaT" <AmandaT.33lb90@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have an HP Photosmart 4200 printer that will print, but will not scan.
> When I press the 'scan' button, the LCD screen gives an error message
> stating that the USB is not connected. Given that the printer prints
> things just fine, this makes no sense to me. I received my computer as
> a gift this past Christmas with Vista Home already installed, and do not
> know if I have the 64-bit or 32-bit version.
>
> Any help with figuring this out is much appreciated!!!
>

> --
> AmandaT

You most likely have a 32-bit version. To verity Start, right click on
Computer and select Prosperities. System information is at the bottom of the
Properties window.

Don

PvdG42

Re: HP Photosmart 4200 won't scan...
"AmandaT" <AmandaT.33lb90@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have an HP Photosmart 4200 printer that will print, but will not scan.
> When I press the 'scan' button, the LCD screen gives an error message
> stating that the USB is not connected. Given that the printer prints
> things just fine, this makes no sense to me. I received my computer as
> a gift this past Christmas with Vista Home already installed, and do not
> know if I have the 64-bit or 32-bit version.
>
> Any help with figuring this out is much appreciated!!!
>

> --
> AmandaT

First, follow dgnacmi<>'s instruction to determine if your Vista is 32 or 64
bit:
"To verify, Start, right click on
Computer and select Prosperities. System information is at the bottom of the
Properties window."

Unless the PC you got was custom built, you almost certainly have 32 bit
Vista.
Depending on the drivers supplied, it's natural to have a functional printer
and nonfunctional scanner, as the printer and the scanner are seen as two
separate hardware devices by your software. Even though the devices are in
the same physical housing, they require separate drivers. The question you
need to get HP tech support to answer is: "Do you have Vista drivers for the
scanner function of the HP Photosmart 4200 printer, and where can I get
them?".

Checking HP, I find the PhotoSmart 4200 *series*, with models 4205, 4240,
4250, 4270, 4273,4280 and 4283. Figure out which you have, then download the
"complete" drivers, not the "basic drivers.