network printer problems

karlos

network printer problems
I have just bought a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium OEMact and
cannot get to print to my Epson CX5400 running off my XP PC through
wireless connection. Please help as this is driving me mad. The Vista
machine can see the Network printer be i keep getting an error message
"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is Denied". (the
printer is installed as shared on the XP computer and is plugged into
the USB Port). My daughter can Print to the Printer with her XP Laptop
computer with no problems. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Karl
=?Utf-8?B?THVibw==?=

RE: network printer problems
I am having exactly the same problem with my new Dell Vista laptop. I have
tried turning off all firewalls on both the new vista laptop and the XP
desktop, but no effect. Even though the Add Printer routine finds the
printer on the XP machine and the printer is shared (and yes, my daughter
also can print to the printer from her XP laptop), the printer can not be
accessed, the same message as yours karlos: "Windows cannot connect to the
printer. Access is Denied". Denied by what, whom, where????
I have spent hours on this now...

"karlos" wrote:

> I have just bought a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium OEMact and
> cannot get to print to my Epson CX5400 running off my XP PC through
> wireless connection. Please help as this is driving me mad. The Vista
> machine can see the Network printer be i keep getting an error message
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is Denied". (the
> printer is installed as shared on the XP computer and is plugged into
> the USB Port). My daughter can Print to the Printer with her XP Laptop
> computer with no problems. Please help!!!!!!!!!!
>
> regards
>
> Karl

cash

Re: network printer problems
try double clicking on the printer icon, and then select sharing, make sure
the printer is shared, then click on the security tab, make sure you are
listed. You may have to be logged on as administrator to make any changes
( make sure you are listed as a user, grant yourself full control.) You
migh have to have an account (USER ID - Password) on the computer the
printer is shared from.

Good Luck - let me know if this helps
"Lubo" <Lubo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having exactly the same problem with my new Dell Vista laptop. I have
> tried turning off all firewalls on both the new vista laptop and the XP
> desktop, but no effect. Even though the Add Printer routine finds the
> printer on the XP machine and the printer is shared (and yes, my daughter
> also can print to the printer from her XP laptop), the printer can not be
> accessed, the same message as yours karlos: "Windows cannot connect to
> the
> printer. Access is Denied". Denied by what, whom, where????
> I have spent hours on this now...
>
> "karlos" wrote:
>
>> I have just bought a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium OEMact and
>> cannot get to print to my Epson CX5400 running off my XP PC through
>> wireless connection. Please help as this is driving me mad. The Vista
>> machine can see the Network printer be i keep getting an error message
>> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is Denied". (the
>> printer is installed as shared on the XP computer and is plugged into
>> the USB Port). My daughter can Print to the Printer with her XP Laptop
>> computer with no problems. Please help!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Karl

=?Utf-8?B?THVibw==?=

Re: network printer problems
Double-clicking on the printer icon on the Vista laptop merely results in the
same "access denied" message. I can not find the security tab on the windows
xp desktop computer to which the printer is physically connected via USB. I
tried the "configuration tab", changed all the settings there, I think in all
possible configurations, no effect. I even created a new user account on the
xp computer, identical ser ID to the vista laptop user ID, no go...

Lubo

"cash" wrote:

> try double clicking on the printer icon, and then select sharing, make sure
> the printer is shared, then click on the security tab, make sure you are
> listed. You may have to be logged on as administrator to make any changes
> ( make sure you are listed as a user, grant yourself full control.) You
> migh have to have an account (USER ID - Password) on the computer the
> printer is shared from.
>
> Good Luck - let me know if this helps
> "Lubo" <Lubo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having exactly the same problem with my new Dell Vista laptop. I have
> > tried turning off all firewalls on both the new vista laptop and the XP
> > desktop, but no effect. Even though the Add Printer routine finds the
> > printer on the XP machine and the printer is shared (and yes, my daughter
> > also can print to the printer from her XP laptop), the printer can not be
> > accessed, the same message as yours karlos: "Windows cannot connect to
> > the
> > printer. Access is Denied". Denied by what, whom, where????
> > I have spent hours on this now...
> >
> > "karlos" wrote:
> >
> >> I have just bought a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium OEMact and
> >> cannot get to print to my Epson CX5400 running off my XP PC through
> >> wireless connection. Please help as this is driving me mad. The Vista
> >> machine can see the Network printer be i keep getting an error message
> >> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is Denied". (the
> >> printer is installed as shared on the XP computer and is plugged into
> >> the USB Port). My daughter can Print to the Printer with her XP Laptop
> >> computer with no problems. Please help!!!!!!!!!!
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> Karl

=?Utf-8?B?THVibw==?=

Re: network printer problems
OK, after some more attempts I was able to get to the security tab for the
printer by going through the "printers" icon - not the icon for the specific
printer - and then through the icon of the particular printer. But I am
unable to change anything. I am loggged in as the administrator, but I am not
able to make any changes. This may be an embarassingly basic question, but
how do I give myself full control to make any changes in the security tab?

Thanks for your help.

"Lubo" wrote:

> Double-clicking on the printer icon on the Vista laptop merely results in the
> same "access denied" message. I can not find the security tab on the windows
> xp desktop computer to which the printer is physically connected via USB. I
> tried the "configuration tab", changed all the settings there, I think in all
> possible configurations, no effect. I even created a new user account on the
> xp computer, identical ser ID to the vista laptop user ID, no go...
>
> Lubo
>
> "cash" wrote:
>
> > try double clicking on the printer icon, and then select sharing, make sure
> > the printer is shared, then click on the security tab, make sure you are
> > listed. You may have to be logged on as administrator to make any changes
> > ( make sure you are listed as a user, grant yourself full control.) You
> > migh have to have an account (USER ID - Password) on the computer the
> > printer is shared from.
> >
> > Good Luck - let me know if this helps
> > "Lubo" <Lubo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am having exactly the same problem with my new Dell Vista laptop. I have
> > > tried turning off all firewalls on both the new vista laptop and the XP
> > > desktop, but no effect. Even though the Add Printer routine finds the
> > > printer on the XP machine and the printer is shared (and yes, my daughter
> > > also can print to the printer from her XP laptop), the printer can not be
> > > accessed, the same message as yours karlos: "Windows cannot connect to
> > > the
> > > printer. Access is Denied". Denied by what, whom, where????
> > > I have spent hours on this now...

tech_messenger

Re: network printer problems

Hi All,

I also struggled with this problem but searched around and found a fix
which someone posted and it worked like a charm! I thought I would
share it:

Originally Posted by Melonhead in Microsoft TechNet
-----------------

Answer Re: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied"
-please help.
Was this post helpful ?

I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no
sense to me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and
the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a
intranet are local.

--
tech_messenger
tech_messenger's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23582

http://forums.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?THVibw==?=

Re: network printer problems
That worked like a charm!
Thank you very much. I sure hope Microsoft fixes this - I hate to think how
many thousands of hours have been wasted by users trying to set up
peer-to-peer networked printers through the "network printer" setup, when
Microsoft obviously considers printers connected to oanother computer on a
network to be "local printers"...

Thanks again

Lubo