Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?

Noozer

Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
I'm pretty sure that I know the answer, but I'm hoping to hear otherwise...

If you have a piece of hardware that does not have a Vista driver available,
is there any method to make use of a Windows XP driver?

Also, I assume that drivers for Vista are different between 32bit and 64bit?
You can't use a 32bit driver on the 64bit OS?

I'm considering moving to Vista Business edition, but I've got a Mustek
Bearpaw 1200CU scanner that I *need* to operate on my PC. I also have an MSI
TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card that would be nice to make use of.

I also assume that since my Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer has no Vista
drivers available, that they are included in Vista?

HDFatBoy2003

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
It depends, I've been able to use a couple of XP x64 drivers in Vista x64.
My SCSI Controller and my Epson R800 both are running fine using the XP x64
drivers. My Epson 3170 scanner not so lucky.

Epson as been working on Vista drivers so keep checking their website.

"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure that I know the answer, but I'm hoping to hear
> otherwise...
>
> If you have a piece of hardware that does not have a Vista driver
> available, is there any method to make use of a Windows XP driver?
>
> Also, I assume that drivers for Vista are different between 32bit and
> 64bit? You can't use a 32bit driver on the 64bit OS?
>
> I'm considering moving to Vista Business edition, but I've got a Mustek
> Bearpaw 1200CU scanner that I *need* to operate on my PC. I also have an
> MSI TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card that would be nice to make use of.
>
> I also assume that since my Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer has no Vista
> drivers available, that they are included in Vista?

Malke

Noozer wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that I know the answer, but I'm hoping to hear otherwise...
>
> If you have a piece of hardware that does not have a Vista driver available,
> is there any method to make use of a Windows XP driver?
>
> Also, I assume that drivers for Vista are different between 32bit and 64bit?
> You can't use a 32bit driver on the 64bit OS?
>
> I'm considering moving to Vista Business edition, but I've got a Mustek
> Bearpaw 1200CU scanner that I *need* to operate on my PC. I also have an MSI
> TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card that would be nice to make use of.
>
> I also assume that since my Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer has no Vista
> drivers available, that they are included in Vista?

I'm sorry, but you did know the answer - no. And no, you can't use a
drivers for a 32-bit OS in a 64-bit OS. If you must use the Mustek and
Mustek will write no drivers for Vista (did you ask them?), then you
need to stay with XP on that machine. I wouldn't assume that the Epson
drivers are available - I would check on Epson's website where there is
a list of printers that work with Vista here:

http://tinyurl.com/3xbtch

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Noozer

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
>> If you have a piece of hardware that does not have a Vista driver
>> available, is there any method to make use of a Windows XP driver?
>>
>> Also, I assume that drivers for Vista are different between 32bit and
>> 64bit? You can't use a 32bit driver on the 64bit OS?
>>
>> I'm considering moving to Vista Business edition, but I've got a Mustek
>> Bearpaw 1200CU scanner that I *need* to operate on my PC. I also have an
>> MSI TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card that would be nice to make use of.
>>
>> I also assume that since my Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer has no Vista
>> drivers available, that they are included in Vista?

> I'm sorry, but you did know the answer - no. And no, you can't use a
> drivers for a 32-bit OS in a 64-bit OS. If you must use the Mustek and
> Mustek will write no drivers for Vista (did you ask them?), then you need
> to stay with XP on that machine. I wouldn't assume that the Epson drivers
> are available - I would check on Epson's website where there is a list of
> printers that work with Vista here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3xbtch

Thanks folks...

Looks like I'll need a new scanner... but not today. I'm in no hurry to
switch to Vista.

BTW, the printer is supported natively.

JW

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
My old scanner runs fine on Vista. I just had to run the old XP instal CD in
XP compatibility mode.
>>> If you have a piece of hardware that does not have a Vista driver
>>> available, is there any method to make use of a Windows XP driver?
>>>
>>> Also, I assume that drivers for Vista are different between 32bit and
>>> 64bit? You can't use a 32bit driver on the 64bit OS?
>>>
>>> I'm considering moving to Vista Business edition, but I've got a Mustek
>>> Bearpaw 1200CU scanner that I *need* to operate on my PC. I also have an
>>> MSI TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card that would be nice to make use of.
>>>
>>> I also assume that since my Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer has no Vista
>>> drivers available, that they are included in Vista?

>> I'm sorry, but you did know the answer - no. And no, you can't use a
>> drivers for a 32-bit OS in a 64-bit OS. If you must use the Mustek and
>> Mustek will write no drivers for Vista (did you ask them?), then you need
>> to stay with XP on that machine. I wouldn't assume that the Epson drivers
>> are available - I would check on Epson's website where there is a list of
>> printers that work with Vista here:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3xbtch

> Thanks folks...
>
> Looks like I'll need a new scanner... but not today. I'm in no hurry to
> switch to Vista.
>
> BTW, the printer is supported natively.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
You didn't say why you had to move to the 64bit version of VISTA <s>

I'm running a very old HP SJ5P scanner on 32 bit vista by using TWAIN
to communicate. So are others with other makes of scanner.

Does anyone know if there is TWAIN on a 64 bit system?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
There is no TWAIN in Vista.... it's all WIA (Windows Image Acquisition).

I've been told Vuescan will work in Vista with over 700 different scanner
models.

http://www.hamrick.com/
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" <huwyngr@unspam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:VA.0000018d.0066ca64@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> You didn't say why you had to move to the 64bit version of VISTA <s>
>
> I'm running a very old HP SJ5P scanner on 32 bit vista by using TWAIN
> to communicate. So are others with other makes of scanner.
>
> Does anyone know if there is TWAIN on a 64 bit system?

EJ

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure that I know the answer, but I'm hoping to hear
> otherwise...
>
> If you have a piece of hardware that does not have a Vista driver
> available, is there any method to make use of a Windows XP driver?
>
> Also, I assume that drivers for Vista are different between 32bit and
> 64bit? You can't use a 32bit driver on the 64bit OS?
>
> I'm considering moving to Vista Business edition, but I've got a Mustek
> Bearpaw 1200CU scanner that I *need* to operate on my PC. I also have an
> MSI TV@nywhere Master TV tuner card that would be nice to make use of.
>
> I also assume that since my Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer has no Vista
> drivers available, that they are included in Vista?

I'm quite sure you will have trouble trying to install 32bit drivers under a
32bit OS, but as regards to XP drivers on Vista, I found I could instal XP
nVidia nForce audio drivers under Vista with no major problems.

koze

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
Yes there is depending on which is used twain 32 too.
Ko.
"Hugh Wyn Griffith" <huwyngr@unspam.tampabay.rr.com> schreef in bericht
news:VA.0000018d.0066ca64@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> You didn't say why you had to move to the 64bit version of VISTA <s>
>
> I'm running a very old HP SJ5P scanner on 32 bit vista by using TWAIN
> to communicate. So are others with other makes of scanner.
>
> Does anyone know if there is TWAIN on a 64 bit system?

koze

Re: Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit?
Too add here is a screenshot: