Maxtor OneTouch II Problems

Yammii

Maxtor OneTouch II Problems

Hi...

I upgraded to Windows Vista last night... I've had all sorts of little
problems but the one that concerns me the most is my external hard
drive... I installed all the drivers and my computer is not recognizing
the drive correctly.

Only once did it recognize it - I was able to get some files I had
backed up. But after a reboot, it stopped working again. I have not
been able to get it to work.

This is how it registers under Device Manager:

[image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...es/Maxtor.jpg]

I went to the Maxtor Website which is now Seagate and they offer no
help/drivers forvista what-so-ever...

Can anyone here help?

thank you...

--
Yammii
Leo

Re: Maxtor OneTouch II Problems
FWIW, my Maxtor One Touch works fine with Vista and requires no drivers.
Perhaps you could uninstall the drivers, unplug the drive's USB connection,
reboot and then connect the drive to a USB port and see if the drive is
recognized.

--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"Yammii" <Yammii.2my711@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi...
>
> I upgraded to Windows Vista last night... I've had all sorts of little
> problems but the one that concerns me the most is my external hard
> drive... I installed all the drivers and my computer is not recognizing
> the drive correctly.
>
> Only once did it recognize it - I was able to get some files I had
> backed up. But after a reboot, it stopped working again. I have not
> been able to get it to work.
>
> This is how it registers under Device Manager:
>
> [image:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...es/Maxtor.jpg]
>
> I went to the Maxtor Website which is now Seagate and they offer no
> help/drivers forvista what-so-ever...
>
> Can anyone here help?
>
> thank you...
>

> --
> Yammii

Peter

Re: Maxtor OneTouch II Problems
No problems reading the drive but the Maxtor1-Touch software is useless. I
use Retrospect HD 2 as backup software and it works fine. As long as I
don't need the touch button then all is OK.
Vista will install the correct drivers to enable the drive to be seen.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"Yammii" <Yammii.2my711@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi...
>
> I upgraded to Windows Vista last night... I've had all sorts of little
> problems but the one that concerns me the most is my external hard
> drive... I installed all the drivers and my computer is not recognizing
> the drive correctly.
>
> Only once did it recognize it - I was able to get some files I had
> backed up. But after a reboot, it stopped working again. I have not
> been able to get it to work.
>
> This is how it registers under Device Manager:
>
> [image:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...es/Maxtor.jpg]
>
> I went to the Maxtor Website which is now Seagate and they offer no
> help/drivers forvista what-so-ever...
>
> Can anyone here help?
>
> thank you...
>

> --
> Yammii

Yammii

Re: Maxtor OneTouch II Problems

Thank you Leo & Peter..

I did exactly as Leo suggested - the only thing that changed after
Windows installed its own drivers, was that in the Device Manager,
Maxtor One touch is now listed under disk drives... However, the drive
is still not accesible. I don't see it under "Computer" as one of the
Drives - I only see the C drive.

I went into the properties of Maxtor through Device Manger and clicked
on Volumes Tab, after clicking POPULATE iy shows the drives storage
capacity but says the drive is unreadable...

I password protected this drive - could this be the problem? With
their regular software through XP; I had no problem unlocking the
drive... But now, since their software is useless, don't know what to
do...

--
Yammii
Peter

Re: Maxtor OneTouch II Problems
I think you are going to have to remove the password protection.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"Yammii" <Yammii.2myfg2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Thank you Leo & Peter..
>
> I did exactly as Leo suggested - the only thing that changed after
> Windows installed its own drivers, was that in the Device Manager,
> Maxtor One touch is now listed under disk drives... However, the drive
> is still not accesible. I don't see it under "Computer" as one of the
> Drives - I only see the C drive.
>
> I went into the properties of Maxtor through Device Manger and clicked
> on Volumes Tab, after clicking POPULATE iy shows the drives storage
> capacity but says the drive is unreadable...
>
> I password protected this drive - could this be the problem? With
> their regular software through XP; I had no problem unlocking the
> drive... But now, since their software is useless, don't know what to
> do...
>

> --
> Yammii

Yammii

Re: Maxtor OneTouch II Problems

Ok, so I took the drive to my children's computer which runs XP and
installed it there with the Maxtor software... The drive worked
perfectly fine...

I removed the password. I then brought it here to my PC and plugged
it... Vista recognized it - it works perfectly...

Thank you all for your help...

Now I'm off to the software forum - I have some iTunes problems... lol

Thank again...

--
Yammii
Peter

Re: Maxtor OneTouch II Problems
That's great!

--

"Yammii" <Yammii.2n077f@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Ok, so I took the drive to my children's computer which runs XP and
> installed it there with the Maxtor software... The drive worked
> perfectly fine...
>
> I removed the password. I then brought it here to my PC and plugged
> it... Vista recognized it - it works perfectly...
>
> Thank you all for your help...
>
> Now I'm off to the software forum - I have some iTunes problems... lol
>
> Thank again...
>

> --
> Yammii

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bG9mQm91cm5lbW91dGg=?=

Re: Maxtor OneTouch II Problems
I did this and Vista now recognises and reads the disc, but One Touch and
Retrospect (new Vista version) do not.

Paul